Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tore my original pump down and cross-referencing with a NASIOC thread I think I've got a list for all the needed parts.

Any interest? I can only get o-rings in some sort of bulk, but I'm able to get some in just 10 packs, which would mean only 9 kits. I don't see a lot of pump problems here... what do y'all think?

The bearing and shaft seal don't really play into bulk quantity, so this would just be o-rings only. I'll post a master list after reassembly and confirmed good operation.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess not, I'll order minimum quantities then :29:

Interesting enough, it looks like folks could've been using this kit and maybe just needed one extra o-ring. It also comes with that small 'wiper' looking piece (it's 2 straight pieces... 1 buna-n the other not sure) that goes on the inside.

O-ring dash numbers are:
2x 14
13 (if you do the sensor seal)

I think the kit is just missing the sensor seal.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I would be a little concerned about the material specs... I think common Buna S doesn't care for petroleum distillates all that much (swelling). The consensus is that Buna-N (nitrile, HBNR) is the go-to material. PTFE/Viton seems to be too stiff.

Good find on the part numbers, though. I've got some dampness around mine, but luckily is not causing any issues yet.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I'm doing Buna-N for everything. Some of the NASIOC folks were using FEP encapsulated silicone O-rings. Apparently that'sthe best by far, however they're about $5 each!...

I'm picking everything up from Grainger, prices are good and I can feel confident that when they say it's Buna-N it's legitimate. I'll have 9 sets leftover, I can definitely hook you up for like $5 if you want a set.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
Aren't the rebuilds specific for not just the generation but also the year?
I've researched a bit and My 08 was allegedly "un-rebuildable" although some parts suppliers sell "remanufactured" P/S pumps. I still have my original pump but I got a new one for $130-ish and if it ever goes bad, I could rebuild the original if its possible.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've researched a bit and My 08 was allegedly "un-rebuildable" although some parts suppliers sell "remanufactured" P/S pumps. I still have my original pump but I got a new one for $130-ish and if it ever goes bad, I could rebuild the original if its possible.
Hmmm you know, I'm not sure. The rebuild thread on NASIOC lists WRX's between 2004-2007. There's really just one extra o-ring found in my 09 OB pump, otherwise everything else is exactly the same. I think the critical thing is there are no gaskets, just O-rings.... bearings and oil seals will usually always be standard for cost savings. It's definitely silly to claim this pump is 'un-rebuildable'.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
The "un-rebuildable" probably comes from the fact that the dealer does not sell individual parts (bearings, seals, etc) nor do they install reman'd units under warranty (or most other service). They buy the whole unit from Showa, Atsugi, etc.

Honestly, the only reason "reman'd" units exist is that the aftermarket has found a way to restore functionality. Overall, it's rare to actually declare a unit "unrebuildable". But with the influx of 3D printing, we might see more "sealed" units....

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
If memory serves, it's ID 10mm x 2mm. Or you could just get one of these:

34439FG000
34439AE020

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright folks. Rebuild was a dud. No leaks, much quieter with new bearing, but it seems like it wasn't generating enough pressure. Steering was fairly difficult at idle, and I was getting oscillations while cornering (even high speed, broad corners on highway). I don't know why I was having such a failure... maybe a problem with the 2 o-ring on the high pressure side (you can see here)? Or perhaps a messed up the reassembly. No idea.

In anycase, I'm done messing with my power steering, it's like 80% fine using junkyard pump and I'm tired of dealing with it.

Attached is list of parts I used. I used Buna-N and purchased the double sealed bearing (LLU) as it was cheaper (and better).

Here is the NASIOC rebuild thread: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2127419
Only major difference I could find was 2 o-rings instead of 1 on the rear half: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ahTGUaTGa8hL1A9t2

Here is an interesting post that suggests using metric o-rings instead: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=41653535&postcount=340. It's an interesting idea, consider the pump is Japanese. I took measurements of the o-ring locations and many of them are close to whole number mm measurements.

I torqued the four bolts holding the halves together to about 25 ft-lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
Yeah what gives? i see they have 05-07 rebuild kits and nothing for the 08 or 09. Can anyone chime in?

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah what gives? i see they have 05-07 rebuild kits and nothing for the 08 or 09. Can anyone chime in?
I don't think anyone tried them on 8 or 9s... If you pick one up you can reference against my list and see if there's a corresponding piece to each in the kit. My guess is that it may be short an o-ring, would could be supplemented, and I say this based off of the broad similarities to the WRX pump rebuild. I may have just flubbed up the reassembly of mine, but I'm just exasperated over the whole thing so I have no desire to troubleshoot and see if it's a part or assembly issue.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
Interesting that Rock Auto (where I bought mine) lists the same Cardone Select pump 965196 for 05-09. Maybe that means if you go out and find a junkyard P/S pump for an 05-07, it would be a drop in compatible and you could eventually rebuild it when the seals give out.

Personally, at $132 for a new pump, if it lasts me another 100k miles, I may look to see if this pump is rebuildable, but I won't sweat it if I have to simply buy another one. It's easy enough to replace.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting that Rock Auto (where I bought mine) lists the same Cardone Select pump 965196 for 05-09. Maybe that means if you go out and find a junkyard P/S pump for an 05-07, it would be a drop in compatible and you could eventually rebuild it when the seals give out.

Personally, at $132 for a new pump, if it lasts me another 100k miles, I may look to see if this pump is rebuildable, but I won't sweat it if I have to simply buy another one. It's easy enough to replace.
That's a really interesting point. It's sort of dumb nobody has brought that up before haha. Here are the pump listings for a 2007 vs 2009 2.5i 4AT

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts