Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some trained eyes here to take a look at this Outback for me.

I've been looking for a family car, and like Subaru in general, and saw this 2001 Outback on CL.
http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/3617069911.html

It looks decent to me. One owner, 165k miles, H6, LL Bean. Emailed the owner briefly and he said it's regularly maintained, and timing belt was last changed around 125K.

I'm not a car person, so do you guys think I should be serious on this one? Is the milage too high? Any other things that I should watch out for, I've heard the engine in the 2nd gen Outback can cause big problem sometime? Finally, how much is reasonable offer, he is asking $4000 in the CL ads?

Thank you guys in advance.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean 120k
135 Posts
Looks like a nice car, but it seems like a scam to me, no phone number, and no timming (belt) in an H6 engine, they have a chain and 99 out of 100 never need changed.

If you do keep looking for one the H6 is the one to have with no known head gasket or timming (chain) problems, the only thing is you will take a 2-3 mpg hit over the H4 engine that does quite often have head gasket and timming (belt) problems.

if it's real and you do get to look at it in person, drive it, and ask to talk to the dealer/mechanic that done the timming "belt" change it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

just my opinion

Dar

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
That's a $6000-$8000 car in my area. So yeah, I'd say it is a good deal. I'd probably offer him $3000 just for the **** of it and see if he bites. If not, $4000 would be a good deal to me.

H6s don't have a timing belt, so not sure where you are getting that. Does he mean he changed the timing chain? That is a bit suspect to me.

The 2.5 H4 and the 3.0 H6 are both great engines, both very reliable. As far as which one is going to be more reliable than the other? The 3.0 has fewer potential problems associated with it. The 2.5 has the possibility of a head gasket failure and the 3.0 while it isn't unheard of it is much less common for a head gasket failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
H6s don't have a timing belt, so not sure where you are getting that. Does he mean he changed the timing chain? That is a bit suspect to me.
I didn't know it's a chain in the H6, so asked him via email about the last timing belt change. He replied "it was changed at about 125,000 mil".

If H6 doesn't even have a timing belt, then it's a bit strange that he said that.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean 120k
135 Posts
I would try to smoke him out and ask who done the work and ask to talk to them.

i know this seems kinda extreem but i have delt with lots of scam adds, and they usually go south when you ask to meet up and drive the car.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 5MT
425 Posts
He may just be an idiot and some mechanic did the serpentine belt for him and he knows no better. I'd pursue this personally. What's the worst that could happen? Walk away if it's a scam.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,472 Posts
$4k is a good price for an LL Bean. It's been cleaned, even the engine. The engine is virtually trouble free on these so I believe there is some confusion on the belt replacement. It may not be to original owner placing the add and its someone who is ignorant of Subarus. It could be the original owner and he's confused or got ripped by a repair shop.

Either way, take someone with you if you go to look at it. Drive it a few miles then check for signs of leaks. Most common is the o-ring on the oil cooler will seep and is an easy repair. Check the Trans fluid level and condition. Pay attention to the way it shifts. Pull a car fax.

That kind of mileage, you may be looking at struts and alignment. Possible worn steering/suspension. The tire wear will tell. Asking 4, offer 3-3500. It's got a good inspection sticker, so that's a plus.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
that's really cheap, those usually sell for far more. that car should sell for $6,000 quickly in that good of shape. so it's a great deal but make sure there's nothing sketchy about it too, sometimes cheap cars are just a doctor wanting to move on (i've bought a couple like that) others are more ominous...it's cheap for a reason. i usually walk from those unless i can pinpoint the reason/guess/or otherwise don't care.

i sold a 1999 4 cylinder with 150,000 miles and a 2003 BASE wagon, though it was low miles, each for over $5,000....$4,000 for that car is cheap, the H6 engines are awesome, my favorites. if it were closer i'd buy it and sell it in a week for $5,000.

run it good at decent RPMS's/downshift and make sure there's no timing chain noise from the guides/tensioners. those aren't a big deal but a lot of folks don't want to jump into a new car with an issue like that.

check for torque bind.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
^^^^good post.

make certain each warning light illuminates when the key is in the ON position.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i have never seen a car with plastic on the floor except from a dealer.
am i wrong on this?

does he say he is a dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that also caught my eye, but i thought maybe the owner took it to a detail shop,
Yeah, I saw that too and asked him and he said he is the owner, via email though. But I'll definitely talk to him on the phone later and hear what he says and see if there is anything fishy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone here from Philly knows a shop or dealership near Philly that I can trust for a mechanic inspection? I'm from Delaware.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts