Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some guidance here.

I am eyeing this 09' and the shop has stellar reviews online. Link to listing: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Subaru-Outback-McGhee-Tyson-ANG-Base-d380_L82450#listing=246035465

Guy is willing to sell it for $4,750. No doc fees, is willing to sell as personal.

He has done a full detail but what got me excited was his mention of rebuilding the engine; new headgasket, timing belt, piston and rings and is trying to figure out the o2 sensor CEL.

What do you all think? I am not desperate for this vehicle but i do love a good deal and would like to have an outback to replace my aging 2004 honda accord with 204k miles on it.

I used to own a 09' impreza and love it, except when the headgasket and steering column failed me around 195k miles.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Pic:

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's an '08 in the link. 186k is a lot of miles, but it looks very clean. Not a bad deal, but I'm not sure it's a great one either. CEL for O2 sensor, could require a catalytic converter, which is not cheap. Does the price include this?

For reference, I just paid $5,300 for a (Northeast, but rust-free) very clean, dealer-maintained, '05 with 131k (2.5i with manual). Headgasket had been done by the dealer at ~80k, catalytic converters at 95k, timing belt at 105k.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Looks reasonable. EAT trans and new headgaskets and timing kit is good mojo. If they were done with Subaru parts I'd give it two thumbs up.

Probably have low key items from here on out. You're likely to have one of the typical high mileage maintenance items like wheel bearing/strut/alternator/starter issue by 250k. Alternator being the one that strands the car but isn't expensive like heads or transmission.

Did they really replace the pistons or was it just the piston rings? Pistons aren't typically replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These questions are great! I'm gonna email him these questions today.

I test drove it and it was a nice drive. The engine had no hiccups, the only concern was the tight steering, which was one of the straws that broke the camels back when i had a 09' impreza (that and head-gasket) that i ran from 0 miles to 192k miles.

He said the o2 sensor was going off because it was a pzev and the new catalytic converter he installed wasnt correct (up to pzev standards) and will try to do a work around.

I will also look up the recall.

Thanks as always everyone and whether its this one or another one, one day i'll join the OB clan. I'll circle back next week with an update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks good to me, but many here know a lot more about these.

My 08 has less miles but some minor body issues I need to fix. This one looks a lot cleaner. Example, I need a new bumper and side trim piece. Both have minor dings. This one doesn't. If it otherwise runs well, sounds like it's worth it. Any used vehicle will probably need something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
newtotheparty
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing