Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier today on a oil leak on my 2.5 liter '98 Outback that may have been caused by an oil change service and I am taking it back to have it check to see if it was caused by the oil change place. UNTIL then, I did look underneath tonight and I did find an oil leak on the bottom up front....just in front of the oil filter. Last summer I had this similar leak with my other 2.2 liter '98 Legacy and the cam seal was the issue and leaked from the SAME spot. There are some bolts up front bottom and the leak seems to be around/near two of them. Can these be tighten with a socket wrench? and will this slow the leak (maybe they are not tight all the way) or are we looking at replacing whatever seals are there? I swear it is in the same place as the 2.2 liter last summer....or is the 2.5 different setup inside? It cost me about $450 last summer to repair the seals along with timing belt. Wish I had a picture......it is on the bottom front with bolts holding the section in place (looks like can be taken apart with socket wrench of some sort). I can easily wipe fresh oil from it. I was told last summer these seals get brittle from heat and age.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If the bolts are the ones that hold on the timing belt cover, then tightening them will not slow or stop an oil leak.

In your other thread, you mentioned that the head gaskets had been replaced. The cam seals would have been replaced when that was done, but it's not impossible that one of them is now leaking, especially if they were cheap aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
first step is verifying where the oil leak is coming from. a picture would be good.

they wouldn't have "caused" a leak - they may have improperly seated the oil filter as mentioned during the oil change but changing the oil itself can't make some other seal in the engine leak.

it could simply be from the oil filter - makes sense if it's happening right after an oil change. sometimes the oil filter seals don't seat well or the old one stays stuck to the engine and if they don't remove it i suppose you could have two smashed together...dunno.

if yours has an oil cooler those also have a gasket at the base of them. don't think a 98 has an oil cooler on it. on those the oil filter screws right onto the oil cooler which is then screwed into the engine.

i don't know that anyone could say "Yes it's a cam seal" or "Yes it's the oil filter"...or something else without seeing it.

tigthening will not help a cam seal...or any seal on that engine for that matter - seals aren't bolt in parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
idosubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing