Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post, I am going to be purchasing a subaru here in the very near future and after much research and consideration i think i will be getting a 99 2.2l outback legacy 5 speed. wanted to see what everyone feels about this car, especially the reliabilty (i am trying to stay away from the 2.5l) anyways let me know if u think this is a good deal or something to stay away from thanks

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback AWD 5-Speed

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,382 Posts
That is an EJ25 vehicle so it's either:
1. mis-listed and has an EJ25
or
2. the engine swapped with another engine.

i would want to make sure it has a new timing belt installed at the bare minimum. i install timing belt, pulleys, and usually a water pump, reseal the oil pump. doubtful a dealer did that though.

if the engine has been swapped it would be nice to know how many miles the engine had on it, what year EJ22 is it (1995-1998 EJ22's can swap...even other years technically speaking...and 95-96 are not interference, 97 is, they also have different timing tensioner set ups and some have HLA's instead of adjustable valves...which is it?)

be nice to know which EJ22 it is.

other than that - the price looks decentt, particularly for Subaru laden areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats strange, so in 99 the outback legacys did not come with 2.2s? is there anything on the vin to see what engine it came with? I was under the impression that the 98 and 99 legacy's did come with a 2.2 but they were all 5 speeds. checked carfax and everything came back good, timing belt and water pump changed at 107k. he wants $4250 out the door and the car spent its first 100k miles in colorado. also how do i tell if it is a 2.2l just by looking at it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also it was a new car trade in at the subaru dealership, and the guy selling it was told by the dealership that it was a 2.2l

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gary u were correct i had him check the engine code on the tag and it began with EJ25... good call thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
371 Posts
The plate on the driver's strut tower will show info from the factory, at time of production; it's guaranteed to show EJ25 for this model. It is written on the engine, on the block, between alternator and PS pump. That'd be what to check ... or if it's a Single (2.2) or Double (2.5) OverHead Camshaft engine (one or two lobes on each side of the timing belt cover). Look around the forum a bit for what to look out for in a used car. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
'99 Outback/ '99 GSX 600f
103 Posts
i have an ej25d with 210k, of course heads came off it at 180k new valves ect, the works- bought it broke needing a timing belt and water pump ( a fun job!)
it since has been the most reliable/fun vehicle i have yet to own, also extremely practical. i expect to get at least 300k out of my engine with proper maintenance and care.
i think the add you have shown is a killer deal if it has been properly maintained, i would swoop up on it regardless of the engine. theres an outback identical on craigs in northern california with 299k on it for 4 grand, i wouldent be surprised if it was already sold...

NOTE: both the 2.2 and the 2.5 are not FAST engines... if you want a ricer stick with an STI. the 2.5 has no lack in power in my preference,and it makes very good use of the horses it has.... just dont expect any serious "buck" off the line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts