Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Sounds great to me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that knocking like noise (especially here it last few second of video) is perfectly normal for these engines? Maybe not a knocking like traditional engine knock sound, I just don't know better way to describe it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
216 Posts
Sounds the same as my 17 2.5.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,233 Posts
I think it sounds like he has an exhaust leak.

Are all your new folks cars this noisy? Shoot, Cherry has less rumble and she's got a turbo, an aftermarket up-pipe and an open grommet hole in the firewall.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
216 Posts
I have a similar knocking type sound and 3600 miles on the odometer. I assume it's just the sound of the motor. Seems kind of noisy, but less so than my 08.
https://vimeo.com/233140266

Reactions: phishfood

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,438 Posts
I find my 2017 2.5 engine quite noisy, especially on a cold start. High revs, fan noise if ac on. much louder than some cars.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,233 Posts
I find my 2017 2.5 engine quite noisy, especially on a cold start. High revs, fan noise if ac on. much louder than some cars.
When they start, with the aluminum timing case now, they sound like the crank is in a barrel of marbles. My ex-wife's d*mn near scared me on cold start ups.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When they start, with the aluminum timing case now, they sound like the crank is in a barrel of marbles. My ex-wife's d*mn near scared me on cold start ups.
I work in the Chicago area and my family is in the Pittsburgh area. Our new car (17 OB 2.5 picked up on 07/29/17 from a Chicago area dealer) did not make any unusual (example above as "barrel of marbles") sounds during start-up. It sounded typical and I did not pay this any attention. I drove it for 3 to 4 days in the Chicago area and then my family drove it to Pittsburgh and it has been there since. During Labor Day weekend, I went to PA in our 2008 OBS and heard the 17 OB start-up and made a mental note to watch it. It sounded clattery for the first second or two before settling down. It had been sitting for a couple of days after being washed as I was going to install the BS molding kit. Hence I did not pay much attention to the sound. However, the next day, heard similar sounds during start-up. Even though the car had only 960 miles, I decided to change the oil and filter (I had done the same with our new 2008 OBS at ~1000 miles when new. Note that our OBS does not make a clattery racket during start-up, but starts up smooth; now at ~117K miles. I use either Pennzoil Platinum HPZ-37, or mostly Fram Ultra XG6607 filters on the OBS). I had already ordered Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 motor oil and Purolator Boss PBL14615 filter (this is shorter in height vs. the original blue filter that came from the factory; will investigate taller filters next time) for the 17 OB and hence had what I needed. Added oil to the filter (~3/4 of height) and rotated the filter ~horizontally by hand. The filter element soaked the oil up; added another ~1/2 height level quantity of oil and the filter easily soaked the oil up. Then installed the filter and added the remainder of oil; total of 5 quarts. We may have to add another 100 mL or so, but it was OK. Started the car up and it ~instantly smoothened out. My wife has been keeping an eye out for unusual sounds during start-up and reporting back that there is no clattery sound anymore during start up.

I will continue to monitor, but do not believe the "barrel of marbles" or clatter should be considered typical during start-up. Not sure if the quality of the filter (ADBV) is responsible. The 0W-20 oil perhaps does not help here but is the recommended grade. I am also not sure whether this a systemic issue, but a substandard filter does get through the release process once in a while at manufacturers.

Reactions: phishfood

·
Registered
2017 Carbide Outback 2.5 Premium, 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
62 Posts
Yeah, I get the marbles on cold starts as well. Kinda weird.

Engineering Explained on YouTube did a great video explaining why Subaru's boxer engines sound like they do:

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,551 Posts
Engineering Explained on YouTube did a great video explaining why Subaru's boxer engines sound like they do...
Funny ... the billboard image is an air-cooled aircraft engine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sent the video to dealer I bought car from and they said their tech department said get to a dealer ASAP lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sent the video to dealer I bought car from and they said their tech department said get to a dealer ASAP lol
Any update on your visit with the dealer?

·
Registered
216 Posts
So true. I had the dealership tell me I needed new wipers (they were 9 days old), new tires, my oil was "dirty" (650 miles since changed) and that I needed to pay 65$ for two new license plate bulbs on my 2008 outback. Also told me I had an oil leak from around the passenger valve cover gasket. (Had just replaced that valve cover gasket and the spark plug tube seals. Brake cleaner ensured that area was clean. I never found the leak they pointed out. They missed the weeping rear diff drain plug though. That was a horrible mess back there. ) I went there for a state inspection, only because I bought the car from them and the inspections were free. Cost me 2.99$ to change my own bulb, but 5 hours of my time waiting for them to sign off the inspection. (Initial inspection took 3 hours. I took the car down to autozone and fixed the bulb myself. Took it back and they took another 2 hours to get it back to me.) they told me they couldn't pass the inspection with the old wiper blades. I told them they were less than two weeks old. They finally came back two hours later. Guy next to me was there for the same thing. Waited three hours to be told his wipers were worn and his oil was dirty too. Weird. I can't imagine how many people paid for unnecessary repairs at that place. I'm glad I do my own maintenance and have a good idea what's going on with my cars. The current dealership I bought the new Subaru from is much better. No issues with service or ordering parts. Wish I would have used them years ago.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dealer was out of power due to downed trees.

Went to local Subaru repair shop that said "sounds OK to us"

After that when it got a little below 2/3rd tank I stopped and added 93 octane which quieted the engine down quite a bit.

So perhaps on my drive from buying car along Interstate somewhere I got some marginal "87" octane gas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts