Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2" ADF Lift
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing my CV Axel got the old one out no problems and was trying to install the new one, I got it in a bind and when I pulled it back out it looked like the picture attached.

I can't get it to pop back into place. I've obviously messed it up, but is it something I can easily fix or do I need to get another one ordered?

I learned from my mistake and was more carful with the other one and it went fine, but now I'm stuck.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 2016 Forester, 2022 Outback
192 Posts
Malibu, there are a couple of retainer clips at the tranny end of the shaft that hold things together in the CV joint. Looks like you have knocked one of them off, and probably destroyed it (the clip) in the process. You can certainly cut the band clamps and take things apart. There is a small circlip that retains the shaft in the "spider", and a large wire ring that holds the spider in place in the housing. Slop on some thick "Green" grease, put things back together, and replace the band clamps.
That said, a replacement half shaft just isn't very expensive, and generally comes with a lifetime warranty. That's the way I'd go. Then take the bad one apart at your leisure, and if you can fix it, toss it on the shelf for the next time. Oh, yeah; the stub end that goes into the tranny is prone to rust. (Actually, both ends are, but the tranny end is the one that's most important in this regard.) If you are gonna keep it as a spare, cover it with a layer of grease, and wrap it with a shop rag or whatever to protect it from the elements, and put it back in the box the new one came in.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2" ADF Lift
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Malibu, there are a couple of retainer clips at the tranny end of the shaft that hold things together in the CV joint. Looks like you have knocked one of them off, and probably destroyed it (the clip) in the process. You can certainly cut the band clamps and take things apart. There is a small circlip that retains the shaft in the "spider", and a large wire ring that holds the spider in place in the housing. Slop on some thick "Green" grease, put things back together, and replace the band clamps.
That said, a replacement half shaft just isn't very expensive, and generally comes with a lifetime warranty. That's the way I'd go. Then take the bad one apart at your leisure, and if you can fix it, toss it on the shelf for the next time. Oh, yeah; the stub end that goes into the tranny is prone to rust. (Actually, both ends are, but the tranny end is the one that's most important in this regard.) If you are gonna keep it as a spare, cover it with a layer of grease, and wrap it with a shop rag or whatever to protect it from the elements, and put it back in the box the new one came in.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a new one. I guess its a lesson learned the hard way.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts