Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback LL Bean H6 3.0 Silver 175K
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took another look at my engine pistons as it has been sitting for a while waiting to be swapped in, and this is what they looked like. I can't tell if this is regular carbon buildup from the last time the engine was in a car or if this is the dreaded pitting which will have me looking for a new ez30d

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
722 Posts
samxerxesn,

Its easy enough to tell if you rotate each piston to top dead center and the scrape the piston top clean with chisel-like tool to remove the carbon and see the piston face. Be careful not to score the piston face or the cylinder bore lip. Then judge for yourself.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,571 Posts
The edges of the piston look like it's been rounded and worn away. Looks like a combination of detonation and potentially debris in the cylinder(s).

I would do a "hillbilly" leak-down and see if there's air leaking in those cylinders.

"hillbilly" leak-down test is a compressed air line to the spark plug hole while the piston is at TDC and listening for excessive air movement. No gauges, but it helps tell you if you've got a burned valve or cracked ringland.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like a lot of detonation at the quench area. Typically happens when you get a lot of carbon build-up on the piston.

You can compression test it, but at a minimum you need to run a can of seafoam through the engine, or even better yet ... setup a very crude water mister and let it run for a bit while you drive down the highway.

Personally, I'd rebuild the motor or get a used replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts