Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put simply, Transmission self destructed so my mechanic put in a supposedly good used replacement. Car now bucks and the wheels skip as if the brakes are being applied to each wheel at odd times, the steering yaws dangerously, and big time vibration. Much of the vibration SEEMS to be coming from the driveshaft and rear end but I cannot be certain.
Now before I tell my guy that this tranny is toast, is there an electronic (brain) connection that should be checked, or connection issues between tranny and cv's etc. that were overlooked.
My wrench is a nice guy and he's not trying to sandbag me here.
Help!

Thanks folks,
Richard

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Sounds like severe torque bind.... Thats where the AWD erroneously thinks wheels are spinning and locks the transfer clutch. This gives great traction on ice but makes the car nearly undriveable on pavement.

Your car may have a fuse holder under the hood to allow you to temporarily disable the transfer clutch. FWD mode. Install a 10Amp fuse in the holder to lock out the rear, remove fuse to normal up.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Please tell me all 4 tires are not different brands and ages.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
He might have put in a trans that has the wrong final drive ratio.

What year/model is the car, and same data for the donor?

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Your transmission ratio does not match with the rear differential ratio. It could be fixed a few different ways, either get the rear matching diff and install it, or get a trans with proper ratio to match rear diff

either way front trans ratio MUST match the rear diff ratio.
You are experiencing torque bind now cause they do not match.
Your mechanic goofed. OR your tires are not the same size front to back
Or the tailshaft clutch packs for the output on the trans tail is fubared.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear tires are newer than the front , but not by much, and they were replaced as a pair. The tranny is an automatic.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Having mismatched tires, front to back may have been what nuked the first trans.

You can't replace them in pairs, you need ALL 4 to match circumference.

You need to verify circumference are the same from all tires front to back; use a string and measure around them, all have to be within 1/16"

You also need to verify the trans ratio matches the rear diff ratio. There are a few at home methods you can do this. Need 4 sturdy jackstands and a paint pen tire marker pen. You need to determine if the rears are turning exactly the same number of turns as the fronts, while all 4 wheels are in the air free wheeling with the car in drive.

Even though your mechanic is a nice guy, he may be in over his head if he is not familiar with Subaru, or AWD systems. He may be the problem. Not that car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a single fuseholder on the passenger side that says AWD it is EMPTY, and looks as if it has not been used in a while. Do I need to put a fuse in there , and if so, what amperage?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
There is a single fuseholder on the passenger side that says AWD it is EMPTY, and looks as if it has not been used in a while. Do I need to put a fuse in there , and if so, what amperage?
The fuse holder is there for 2 reasons and it is NOT supposed to have a fuse. Please refer to your owners manual in the glovebox, where it clealry describes that fuse holder and warnings about installing a fuse.

It is to TEMPORARILY drive the car when you have to put the spare tire on, and it is to DIAGNOSE AWD problems.
It is not to have a fuse more than temporarily. If a fuse were to stay in over time, it will burn out the Duty C Solenoid, INSIDE the trans. When the fuse in is there, it disables the rear tail shaft (thru Duty C) so as to defeat AWD. You do this when you have to temporarily drive a short distance with a spare (mismatched circumference) so it will not destroy the clutch packs. It is to diagnose torque bind as well.

Keep the fuse out, get your car to a mechanic who is familiar with Subaru's.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Put any fuse into the FWD slot, it just grounds a very low current signal from the TCU (trans control unit).

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If the car behaves normally with the fuse in, that will confirm that there is a mismatch between front and rear.

Then you need to determine whether the mismatch is due to the tire mismatch, or if the front and rear diffs are different ratios.

The viscous coupling problem doesn't apply, that's standard transmissions only. The 4-speed autos use an electrically operated clutch pack to lock front and rear. This is what gets disabled when you temporarily install the underhood fuse.

Either way, you really, really ought to get matching tires on the front.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the first and easiest step is the read the trans ID# on the bell housing near the starter. and also read the trans ID# on the ID tag on the driver side front strut tower.

what are the trans ID# on your trans and on your car??

what year, model, engine, miles is your car?
how many miles on your NEW trans?

do you have a flashing AT Temp light at start up?

ID#??????????????????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The transmission I.D. on the wheelwell is TZ 102 Z2 A BA

THE ONE HE PUT IN IS------------------TZ 102 Z1 C AA
and YES the ATA light comes on and flashes.
So.... Does my guy need to put in another tranny?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
What're all the specs of the car? Year? VDC?
I like the theory of mismatched tires kill transmission, followed by mismatched trans trying to kill the driver.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
ABA looks to be 96 outback, 2.2L, one example darted 6/95
TZ102Z1CAA looks to for a 2.5L, it's a japanese (JDM) trans number for Impreza - Legacy - Forester.

Legacy is usually 4.11 final drive, outbacks 4.44, I'm not 100% for that year though. 2000-2004 I'm more familiar with.

So, looks like he needs to put in a trans with a matching ratio, or put an a rear diff for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uh.. is this a weirdo car? the engine is an ej25 (daabjl) as stated on the firewall, but the tranny code listed on the firewall is TZ 102 Z2 ABA, which from all I can gather , is an 2.2 litre model.
??????????
Richard

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Would sure explain the locking & binding. To be honest, I wouldn't have expected it to drive at all (on pavement) with that much of a difference. Works out to over 8%.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I wouldn't regard my google-decoding as definitive, but just as an indicator the ratios may well be off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts