Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my two millennial kids will apparently never be able to fully support themselves, I find myself insuring four vehicles; a 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback Sedan, 2008 Nissan Pathfinder, 2012 Mazda 3 and a 2008 Kia Sorrento. When it comes to insuring these vehicles, the Subaru is always the most expensive. My wife once questioned the insurance agency and was told it's because Subarus are built so well they tend to inflict greater damaged on other vehicles and property if involved in an accident. The explanation sounds like the biggest load of bunk I've ever heard, but I guess anything is possible. For those of you who own a Suby along with other makes, what have you experienced with regard to insurance costs?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,364 Posts
Wife's 2011 Prius and my 2008 Outback Limited run just about the same for quite a while now.

And let's clarify - we're talking collision coverage, correct? Plus the cost of liability that goes for the risk of causing property damage to someone else. Medical coverage is separate from this, and lately that's what really been driving insurance rates.

If so, your insurance agent's explanation defies logic, IMHO. A well-built vehicle likewise should sustain less damage to itself in a given accident scenario, thereby pushing rates down.

What does cost I think is the longevity and resale values of Subarus. If a vehicle is a total loss to an insured, it's the resale market that will determine the insurance payout, and that risk of a payout on a total loss is what raises collision rates. Drive something that depreciates much faster, and it should cost less as it ages.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wife's 2011 Prius and my 2008 Outback Limited run just about the same for quite a while now.

And lets's clarify - we're talking collision coverage, correct? Plus the cost of liability that goes for the risk of causing property damage to someone else. Medical coverage is separate from this, and lately that's what really been driving insurance rates.

If so, your insurance agent's explanation defies logic, IMHO. A well-built vehicle likewise should sustain less damage to itself in a given accident scenario, thereby pushing rates down.

What does cost I think is the longevity and resale values of Subarus. If a vehicle is a total loss to an insured, it's the resale market that will determine the insurance payout, and that risk of a payout on a total loss is what raises collision rates. Drive something that depreciates much faster, and it should cost less as it ages.
Definitely comparing apples to apples; same coverage, same coverage amounts. I wasn't very impressed with the agent's explanation for the cost differences. I'm in Longview, a stones throw away from Portlandia, so although we're in different states, same geographical area. Maybe it's time to start shopping around for insurance...

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
638 Posts
my insurance went up $100 more a month when I bought my subbie. ive had full coverage on every vehicle ive owned, **** my 07 grand Cherokee was cheaper and less reliable than the subbie. never understood why it shot up $100, I understand its a new car but its prob one of the safest and most reliable on the road.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
359 Posts
Cost less for my 3.6 than my 2.5. Look at an Accord for the gf, put down my information and it cost more for the Accord than my Outback!
I don't understand how in this day and age any consumer can have any sort of respect for an insurance company. Why stay with the same company? Every 6 months (or 12), you should be looking at competing vendors for the best price. There are many insurance companies that offer different services at different prices. Geico and Progressive have been my best bet, but only in different locales. There is no incentive to keep you as a customer. They will charge you more until you leave. And they will just replace you with another sucker.
And yes it is a load of garbage. They will say whatever they want to justify the price. Why they didn't say something believable like the age of the person being insured or similar I will never understand. God forbid your millennials are both young boys, its probably not even worth it. Young men (<25) have the highest insurance rates nationwide.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
my insurance went up $100 more a month when I bought my subbie. ive had full coverage on every vehicle ive owned, **** my 07 grand Cherokee was cheaper and less reliable than the subbie. never understood why it shot up $100, I understand its a new car but its prob one of the safest and most reliable on the road.
$100 more a month? The total premium for full coverage insurance on my 2017 3.6 Limited is less than $100 a month. (It's about $1000 a year.) Do you mean $100 more a year?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,571 Posts
The key might be your "millennial" kids.

Insurance companies like to assign "primary" vehicles for each covered driver. For example, if your 20 y/o with clean record is listed as "Primary" on the OB sedan, he/she would probably cost more than a 19 y/o with a clean history as primary on the 2008 Sorrento. My parents played this game with myself and my sister growing up. It cost them less to put us on a few year older car (as it was easier/cheaper to fix or replace) versus the 25 year old Ranger. Go figure.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
301 Posts
My previous car was a 2014 Honda Accord, my insurance went up $70 per year for full coverage when I bought the Subaru Legacy. I considered that pretty good considering the Legacy is a more expensive car and 4 years newer than the Accord.

Interestingly I had owned the Subaru only about a month when my insurance paid over $700 for a new heated windshield because I got hit by a rock from a truck.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
638 Posts
$100 more a month? The total premium for full coverage insurance on my 2017 3.6 Limited is less than $100 a month. (It's about $1000 a year.) Do you mean $100 more a year?
nope, $100 a month.. I was paying $125 a month for full coverage on my 01 Cherokee(yes an 01, call me crazy). added the Subaru and dropped the Cherokee, its now $235 a month with a cleannnnnn record. been shopping around and it seems to be the cheapest. I'm in Baltimore, so maybe that has something to do with it?

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
nope, $100 a month.. I was paying $125 a month for full coverage on my 01 Cherokee(yes an 01, call me crazy). added the Subaru and dropped the Cherokee, its now $235 a month with a cleannnnnn record. been shopping around and it seems to be the cheapest. I'm in Baltimore, so maybe that has something to do with it?
im in baltimore also, and when i got my sixteen a few weeks ago, and my insurance dropped 50 a year vs my 16 traverse, which i traded in. im with eerie and they have been really good. ive been with them over.. well too long..lol.

when i added my son to my policy, with the same coverage my insurance went up 2800 a year, due to him being a new driver. thats based on the "hot"hatch he bought. Was told it also depends on the number of claims filed for that particular model per week. makes sense. my agent told me to do rate lock, which means no changing the policy for a year, and his rate dropped 1000.00 and mine went up 100. still way cheaper than other companies, and yes baltimore has high rates. when i lived in allentown, my rates for me, dropped to 500 a year. back to baltimore, 1100. go fish!!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
359 Posts
I'm in for less than $100 a month for full cover on my 3.6 2017.

What are you doing?
Oh, it is his kids fault: "Since my two millennial kids will apparently never be able to fully support themselves".
Not to mention mine comes in at $500 for 6 months as a 22 year old. But hey what do I know?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the last year mine has gone from $500/year to around $1250/year. Shopped around, and having a hard time getting it under $1,000/year.

One other note: While I am required by law to pay for medical on my car policy, many ER's and ER's doctors are refusing to accept it. Last week I got a bill for $1200 from an ER doctor in Albany NY who doesn't accept medical on car insurance. Oh, and she doesn't accept my health insurance either. I was told to pay up in 20 days or they'll sue me. So, I am not sure how medical can be driving up car insurance premiums.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
I'm in for less than $100 a month for full cover on my 3.6 2017.

What are you doing?
For some reason I still run full coverage on Mal.

But that's still only $60ish a month. Sprout is about $10 higher...guessing because 4 years newer?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC Limited and 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
9 Posts
My 2009 impreza 2.5i runs me about $840 per year and I just purchased a 2005 outback 3.0 limited and that is only going to run me $400 per year. same coverage. No need for two cars as I am single and the impreza doesn't really offer me anything else that the outback doesn't so for double the cost doesn't really make sense to hold on to that one much longer... in comparison I also asked the insurance company about a 2005 audi a6 that I had test driven and that was going to run about $875 per year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts