Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
No, you have to hold down the button by your left knee and there is always an orange light within the tach to remind you it's off.
That’s the lane departure warning. Lane keep assist is on the steering wheel near the cruise control. Believe that is off by default (the state is “sticky” between restarts too).

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
161 Posts
That’s the warning. Lane keep assist itself is controlled by a button on the wheel and is sticky, meaning it doesn’t turn back on when you start the car.

Edit: walker beat me to it by a minute

·
Registered
413 Posts
Exactly. Truthfully, I have let “lane departure” be on because the constant PITA of turning it off at every start is, so far, worse than the frequent false and worthless alerts.

Lane assist stays off, and thankfully it stays off without the necessity of killing it at startup. Don’t know when I would be turning it on. Maybe, driving drunk at 2:00 a.m., and trying to stay out of the ditch instead of not driving at all?

Wouldn’t it be nice if every so called “safety” goober function could be turned off, and, until and unless you turned it on, stay off? Select the ones that do something positive, and forget the others? Tell Subaru to quit putting the garbage gimmicks as default?

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,289 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to design cars with safety in mind, keeping in mind that the least common denominator is that most drivers really are idiots? They're designed to default to on because of that. Personally, while I tend to think of it as evolution in action, for some reason people want to reduce and limit the number of people killed on the highways.

Yeah, I'm cranky, today. :) About at the, I'd like to see a Steve Jackson Games for real life level, cranky. :) No, it's no one here on the forums.

Wouldn’t it be nice if every so called “safety” goober function could be turned off, and, until and unless you turned it on, stay off? Select the ones that do something positive, and forget the others?

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
682 Posts
Hi All,
Any Subaru techs out there that know if the 2019 outback iSight system software can be updated to offer the lane centering capability?

I wonder if the feature is already there but not activated on the 19's. I know for a fact that other manufacturers (such as VW) have features "installed" in vehicles but not made available in certain markets. But can be "turned on" by techs with access to vehicles control modules via the computer.

thanks!
Subaru can’t properly update our Head Units or apps and you expect them to update ISight 😂

·
Registered
413 Posts
What did you contribute? You read somewhere something? My contribution is that the lane related “safety” modules aren’t useful in my normal, sober, day to day driving and are marketing gimmicks in their current state of development. In fact their operation is distracting, so why bother?

How have they assisted your driving?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to design cars with safety in mind, keeping in mind that the least common denominator is that most drivers really are idiots? They're designed to default to on because of that. Personally, while I tend to think of it as evolution in action, for some reason people want to reduce and limit the number of people killed on the highways.

Yeah, I'm cranky, today. :) About at the, I'd like to see a Steve Jackson Games for real life level, cranky. :) No, it's no one here on the forums.
Carl:
Appreciate your comments and positive outlook. Of course it makes sense to design vehicles with safety in mind. My point is, and it’s my opinion of course, that some (but not all) of the “safety” electronics installed currently by Subaru and others don’t really work very well. And the fact that they don’t but are still default operating detracts from the “safety” emphasis overall.

The good ones are appreciated and make sense. Not some of them. I could make a list, but you know what they are, and I don’t think throwing them in the package makes a case for safety. Looks like marketing.

Cheers,

EJ

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,342 Posts
Yeah let's get back on topic please.

We can start a new thread on the pros and cons of safety systems and throw it in irreconcilable differences if y'all want to continue the discussion.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
531 Posts
I think Subaru deliberately implemented Keep Lane Assist and NOT Lane Centering.

If we had lane centering, people would start reading magazines or playing with their phones instead of paying attention. It could lead to accidents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The lane centering on the 2020 OB works with adaptive CC and can be turned on or off via a switch on the steering we wheel

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
266 Posts
Aside from the addition of lane centering, we have found the performance of LKA and all the other associated driving aids to be noticeably better on the 20 compared to the 19. The biggest difference is the ability to keep the vehicle in the lane even if only one or even zero lane lines are visible, and it does this all the way down to 0 mph in stop and go traffic. It’s not perfect, and perhaps not as smooth as Honda’s version of lane centering, but it’s a nice step towards what will hopefully be more autonomous driving a few years down the road. Yes we still enjoy driving, but sometimes, especially on long road trips, you get into monotonous stretches where it would be nice to just let the car do its thing without having to touch the steering wheel every 15 seconds.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts