Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am replacing control arm bushings, including Whiteline KCA399s. But I am having **** with them! I have access to a press, but even with it the center insert forces the rubber piece out on the other side. Eventually I got it all to mesh, but it still forces the rubber out a 1/4" or so. Enough that it won't go back into the knuckle. Also the insert will not spin, as it would need to to adjust camber... I did use the included lube. I did try installing it with a bolt nut and washers, and every other way I can think of. It's like the control arm is just a bit to small. Anyone else run into this?

08 Outback BTW. Pic attached of the bushing as it currently sits.

Attachments

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Did you clean out the eye really good. I have had some trouble getting them to insert, I have done 3 separate RUCA with this bushing. I have "dressed", knocked the edge off the leading insertion edge. with a file or belt sander. Chamfer it , if you get that.

I have had to "dead blow hammer" the RUCA back into the car. But not any problems making (3) work...

Take better pics, hone the eye....

Where are you, if Front Range, I can help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lightly sanded and cleaned the hole. Paying extra attention to the ridge created by the original bushing. That being said, putting a Dremel and sanding drum to it might be a good idea. Knocking the edge of the insert would have helped at first, but eventually I did get it in past the 2nd rubber. It just appears to be smooshing out like there isn't enough room for it... I did try putting a pry bar on the knuckle to spread it open while hammering the control arm down into it. A couple times I started to wedge it in there but it just popped back out before I got anything lined up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and I live in Texas. You actually sold me these arms a couple weeks ago Chris.

More pics attached. LMK if anything else would be helpful.

Attachments

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Well..

Fancy that. All I can think of is honing out the eye some more. Maybe WL has a QA/QC issue, with the bushing mold "growing". Contact them, but in the mean time. I have had 1/2...the issue you are seeing and was able to pound them in...without much resistance. Maybe squeeze them with a clamp and drive them under pressure...just a thought.

So no issues with the inner bushing replacement where I cut the bolt out?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, old pressed out and new pressed in no problem. All good on the inners!

As for the outers, I will pop them back out and go to town on it with a sanding drum. Hopefully that works, because my only other idea is to trim some rubber off the inside of the bushings.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
because my only other idea is to trim some rubber off the inside of the bushings.
Don't feel bad about that. I modify parts ....I spend good $ on, all the time. A belt sander will take care of all your dressing needs, either length or diameter. Too much diameter will transfer to length...

The turbo-back AVO exhaust required extensive grinding of the downpipe bellmouth to clear the wastegate valve...and required 2 1/8" exhaust spacers to not conflict with the AVO sway bar...

Go Figure...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I am not completely opposed to doing it. Just kind of hesitant to removal material from a product everyone else says fits like a glove.

I did just email Whiteline though. Probably wishful thinking, but maybe they have a record of such an issue and have a solution. Here's to hoping!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts