Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2000 outback and just did a water pump/pulley/tensioner/timing belt change.

The initial problem I thought was a bad water pump (car was overheating and leaking coolant from the pump/thremo housing)

After install of new water pump/TB ect. the car started up fine then about 1 minute later started smoking and ideling rough (almost shutting off)

I noticed a leak dripping down the oil pan from the water pump (one of the water pump bolts stripped so I am thinking that is what is causing the leak? I can tap/die this) this caused smoke in the engine, i think it was coolant getting on the exhaust pipe?

What could be causing the engine to idle so rough

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
620 Posts
At this point your going to want to check for bad head gaskets. Buy or rent the test tool and check for exhaust gas in the coolant before going any further.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i
32 Posts
Use a Heli-coil kit for that stripped bolt hole, and a torque wrench this time

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
did the vapor smell sweet-ish, like toasted marshmallows? that's coolant

are you losing coolant? (always check the radiator, you can't trust the overflow tank to accurately reflect coolant levels.)

you can get coolant system pressure test kits from the ;loan' program of many parts stores? safer way to track a coolant leak.

also, did the thermostat get replaced? It should be OEM style;

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,475 Posts
Dito the HG testing and double check your belt alignment. Of course, if it was the HG in the first place, no compression gases would have gotten in the coolant, it just would have leaked out like the oil does when the paper gaskets start to leak. It may be difficult to determine now if the water pump seal is allowing a large leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your reply's. I was able to fix the issue

what i did..
-tapped the block and used a heli-coil, using my old harbor freight torque wrench as a home defense weapon now and got a new wrench, water pump was set to 9.5ft lbs
-replaced some vaccum hose and fixed idle issue
-used block tester just to make that there were no combustion gases (all blue, no gases detected)

she runs great now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts