Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m a big fan of products by Griot’s Garage. I’d start with using their rubber prep to clean off any old wax residue. Then use their Black Shine Trim Restorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,241 Posts
Any chance this could be adhesive plus dust? Tried to remove it with something like Goo-Gone? Perhaps the bumpers are wrapped for protection during parts transport/installation to avoid scuffing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my 2017, the black exposed plastic and the painted area are one piece, requiring the bumper to be masked off to be painted in it's current look. I am speculating that the adhesive the factory used to mask off this area reacts with the plastic causing long term discoloration, probably depending on how long the adhedsive masking strip was appiled (was it sitting in the subaru/plastics manufacturers warehouse all masked for paint, ready to go for a few months, or removed right away?) or how well the plastic was cleaned off after painting. As obiquitous as plastics are in this day and age, they still aren't perfect.
bingo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I brought my car in for its regular oil change today and showed the service manager the issue, plus all of the pictures I gathered from random outback’s over the past few days and even pointed out one on his lot.
He said he is going to contact Subaru and investigate.

on a side note my oil change and tire rotation took almost 4 hours from when I dropped it off after the service advisor told me it would be done in 2 and I left and went home. Low and behold at the 2hr and 45 minute mark I called to find out if my car was done and I spoke to the service advisor and he said it was done, he sent an Uber for me. When I got there the cars tires were not even on. Make a long story short my service was free and so are my next couple of ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
On my 2017, the black exposed plastic and the painted area are one piece, requiring the bumper to be masked off to be painted in it's current look. I am speculating that the adhesive the factory used to mask off this area reacts with the plastic causing long term discoloration, probably depending on how long the adhedsive masking strip was appiled (was it sitting in the subaru/plastics manufacturers warehouse all masked for paint, ready to go for a few months, or removed right away?) or how well the plastic was cleaned off after painting. As obiquitous as plastics are in this day and age, they still aren't perfect.
Yes they are one piece so if they order new bumpers so they think they might run into the same problem when they paint.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts