Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Model, Green/Gold Subaru Outback Wagon, 5 speed manual, 2.5 litre 4cyl engine - no mods yet, open to suggestions!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am 1) poor and thus can't afford a mechanic, and 2) an amateur (really,really amateur) when it comes to mechanics, I'm seeking your advice good people.

Problem 1: After driving for perhaps 20 minutes doing many gear shifts - I don't do much highway mileage - the bite point of the clutch is heading towards the floor, and unless you quit driving for a while (it's back to normal after not being used again for a while), it sinks to be right on the floor and barely useable, especially if you need to do a hill start or anything. What's wrong and how can I fix it?

Problem 2: I might be going crazy here, but I am certain that the rear wiper has a spray nozzle, and it's operable from the lever on the left hand side of the steering wheel - mine doesn't work. And I have no clue how to troubleshoot it. Any ideas?

Problem 3: The underside of the front bumper has some gravel rash, revealing the plastic underneath, it's ugly... Can that be a simple DIY job?

Problem 4: The gear shift knob has had the markings rubbed off the top by a sweaty previous owner and I wanted to get an original, or close to original one after market... A friend bought me an aftermarket one as a present and it had this awful system of attaching it, using a plastic cap and three Allen key screws instead of a thread, so that it could be 'universal' though really it just came loose all the time. Could anyone link me to a website that sells a suitable knob that screws on?

Sorry for being a noob, and thanks in advance for any help! :D

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Problem 1: After driving for perhaps 20 minutes doing many gear shifts - I don't do much highway mileage - the bite point of the clutch is heading towards the floor, and unless you quit driving for a while (it's back to normal after not being used again for a while), it sinks to be right on the floor and barely usable, especially if you need to do a hill start or anything. What's wrong and how can I fix it?

Not an uncommon issue, sound like the slave cylinder either needs to be bled or replaced. The location of it lends itself to get hot so it tends to happen after the car warms up. I have some info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/bleeding-clutch-491.html?t=491

and a TSB here on the issue:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/clutch-sticking-tsb-2041.html?t=2041

Problem 2: I might be going crazy here, but I am certain that the rear wiper has a spray nozzle, and it's operable from the lever on the left hand side of the steering wheel - mine doesn't work. And I have no clue how to troubleshoot it. Any ideas?

I thought it was the right side stalk that operates it? In any case; first check if you have enough fluid in the tank. The one under the hood feeds both the front and rear. But notice that one of the motors are higher in the tank than the other. The higher one is the rear pump. That's so you loose the ability to wash the rear windscreen before the front. If that's the issue it's simple, put in more fluid :) If not, first try unplugging and plugging in the motor's harness. Sometimes it's just a bad connection. If not, then see if the motor works by listening to hear if it's making noise when you actuate it. If it's not making noise, check fuses. Beyond that you may need to replace the pump. That's actually pretty simple, the pump is just press fit into a grommet in the tank. It just yanks out. If it's making noise and not spraying it could be the pump or a clogged line. There is a check valve at the back that can get clogged. First see if it's a clogging issue by swapping hoses with the front pump. If it sprays then it's not a clog, if it still doesn't' spray, but makes noise then it's a clog.

I have info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthrea...poor-washer-7320.html?t=7320&highlight=washer

about the check valve. It's not for the outback but it's similar enough to be somewhat helpful.

Problem 3: The underside of the front bumper has some gravel rash, revealing the plastic underneath, it's ugly... Can that be a simple DIY job?

Search "plasti dip" on this site, people use that a lot for stuff like this. Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

Problem 4: The gear shift knob has had the markings rubbed off the top by a sweaty previous owner and I wanted to get an original

Kartboy makes a nice replacement:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/kartboy-shift-knob-148.html?t=148

Or I'd just go to e-bay and look for one too. I'm sure they have one cheap.

BTW, in order to see my links you need to register and log into out site. It's free but we need to do this to keep the spam bots away.

Good luck and Welcome,

Peaty

Team Member - Scoobymods

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
905 Posts
I can really only help with problem 1.

I would try bleeding the clutch firstly. If that didn't help put a brake line clamp on the clutch hose very tight and take a reference shot of the clutch fork in its rest position, apply peddle pressure constantly to see if the peddle sinks, check to make sure the clutch fork has not moved, if the peddle has sunk but the fork has not moved then the problem is with the master cylinder, if it hasn't then more likely the slave is shot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts