Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i, Magnetite Gray
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a full spring and strut swap on my 2018 Outback. The setup includes Rallitek stock height springs, Bilstein B4’s and 1.5” ADF Spacers. After install and driving around for a few days, the wheel gap is 5.5” at three corners and 5” at the rear drivers side. It is enough to be visually noticeable...actually seeing it is what made me measure.

Is this a serious problem and any idea what might cause this? I’m going to double check part numbers to make sure everything is correct. The struts came from RockAuto and the boxes were nearly destroyed. The struts appeared to be ok, so I went ahead with the install.

Any input and help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Robmat

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
I hate when things like this happen. Did you check that all the springs were the same length? My guess would be that one of the springs were the wrong spring. I guess you could count the coils or measure the spacing between the coils to figure out if they're the same length springs on both sides.

Also if you had to tighten suspension, you're supposed to tighten them when the wheels are bearing the vehicle's weight, but not sure if this would create that much of a difference if you tightened the parts unloaded.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
182 Posts
Three that match & one that doesn't sounds like something isn't straight or flat. Either the garage floor (?) or the car has to be off somehow.
If it's entirely due to the suspension, you'd expect the front and back of the car to be "leaning" in the same direction. The left-rear corner is low, so why isn't the left-front corner also low??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know.....I found things super weird as well. The car is currrently parked in the driveway, which appears to be flat, but you never know. I’m headed out to take some more measurements and to get under the car with a flashlight to check things. I’ll report what I find!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, just back in from being underneath the car. All part numbers match (Spring 830-521-355 and Strut 19-278605) and the coil count method shows similar as well. I poked around underneath and did not see anything that looked out of sorts. I’ll move the car to a different spot and check it out again. Hopefully, it’s just my driveway, lol.

Here are snaps of each spring and strut from the rear of the car in case anyone can see something I may have missed. The second image/thumbnail is the spring\strut combo with the issue. Thanks for all of the help!

2115AE08-C671-431D-89E4-FB3CC7AA3860.jpeg 17057B52-E524-4FCA-B325-DE5B49087CD4.jpeg

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R
9 Posts
Perhaps the spacer is 1" instead of 1.5" on the strut that has lower ride height. Hard to see a 1/2" difference when holding spacer in you hand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps the spacer is 1" instead of 1.5" on the strut that has lower ride height. Hard to see a 1/2" difference when holding spacer in you hand.
Thanks! Those, I know are properly matched. They were previously installed with no issues.

I’m really unsure of what this could be at this point. All parts are correct and I double checked the install. It doesn’t seem to affect the ride at all though.

I’ll contact Rallitek and then start taking measurements everywhere I park it now, lol.

Thanks for all of the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts