Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, about 2000 miles since I replaced the engine, have a (mainly) annoyance that is cropping up more and more frequently to the point I've decided to do something about it.
On initial start-up, it idles fine, typically 750-800 rpms
When I pull up to a stop, if I leave it in gear but have the clutch down, the car will die. If I pull up with the car in neutral, it might die, but more normally it will be very erratic idling- going from a low of 400 rpm to 1200 or so until it settles down to 700-750.
It had occasionally done this before the engine swap, cleaned throttle body at that time (just cleaned the bore and the butterfly valve) and it seems like it's getting worse.
My plan of action- go ahead and pull throttle body, and look for any possible issues and a more thorough cleaning. Might as well disconnect the battery and do the relearn procedure too.
If that doesn't fix the issue, try cleaning fuel injectors? Is there anything else I'm should look at first?

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,952 Posts
Start with the idle relearn.

You have the classic symptoms of the problem and the relearn will probably fix it.

Seagrass

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, since my wife wanted me out of the kitchen anyway, decided to go ahead and do it (the relearn, at least) The test drive went off without a problem, still appears to be "hunting" for the rpm, bit at least it didn't die.
Will keep an eye on it through the weekend, have a 200 mile trip coming up Sat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts