Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just shy of 4 weeks my Outback 2.5i Limited arrived at the dealer. Picking up tomorrow afternoon--well it will probably be evening by the time they get through with me. It seems being a non-financing customer subjects one to all sorts of tactics. Well as it's not tomorrow yet i'm not sure....but I can tell just the way the one in person visit and the email negotiating has gone that car buying is different than years ago when the paperwork was completed at the time the order went in !

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
...yay...congrats on the new OB....enjoy the ride! but...:ttiwwp:

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Just shy of 4 weeks my Outback 2.5i Limited arrived at the dealer. Picking up tomorrow afternoon--well it will probably be evening by the time they get through with me. It seems being a non-financing customer subjects one to all sorts of tactics. Well as it's not tomorrow yet i'm not sure....but I can tell just the way the one in person visit and the email negotiating has gone that car buying is different than years ago when the paperwork was completed at the time the order went in !
Sounds great. I was told about 6 week wait and when I decided to get serious about 4 weeks later my dealer had a decent selection.

I didn't have any hassles buying 2013 with cash but the place was busy because I got it last day of the month. The finance guy at the dealer said about 65% of their new Subaru buyers pay cash - much more than their Dodge, Jeep and GM dealership. The IMBA VIP purchase was also great with no hassles and a lower price than any I found in 100 mile circle from home.

Are you same armyslowrdr who posts on MTBR? If so did you use IMBA discount and are you saving your pennies for a 1 Up rack?

Enjoy it in good health.

:)

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes

Yup, that's me. I bought my 1st OB in 02 with the VIP thru IMBA.
This time around I figured the range off of MSRP put it about the same as invoice price anyway. Maybe I erred. But no matter.

Going to try a couple Yakima front loaders first. Since the OB is higher in stature now, if that doesnt work out well, then I'll look into a rack for the back.

Are you same armyslowrdr who posts on MTBR? If so did you use IMBA discount and are you saving your pennies for a 1 Up rack?

Enjoy it in good health.

:)

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Yup, that's me. I bought my 1st OB in 02 with the VIP thru IMBA.
This time around I figured the range off of MSRP put it about the same as invoice price anyway. Maybe I erred. But no matter.

Going to try a couple Yakima front loaders first. Since the OB is higher in stature now, if that doesnt work out well, then I'll look into a rack for the back.
I scratched my roof about 20 hours into ownership with that style rack and it was too high for my heavy AM bike and old self without a step.

In my market area the VIP pricing is generally best and if nothing else you're there without time wasted negotiating.

This is first Subaru for me and a big change. My business and trail building have always had a pickup truck or truck-based SUV. My first week with 4 cyl and auto trans has been just fine. It might be relief for the trail building. Somebody else can tow our trailer and I'll rent a heavy duty vehicle for my business when I need one.

If you go hitch rack the bargain Saris Freedom and 1 Up will be lightest for a car. The 1 Up is more money than popular racks but trust me that nothing else is in the same league or with all the thought in design.

Good luck with the new wheels.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5 w/ moon light
52 Posts
If I read correctly what you are saying, the IMBA VIP program is not -2% from invoice anymore, but some fixed amount off MSRP? When did this change?

Do you know how much off MSRP is the discount for an OB and if it varies by region or if it is the same amount nationwide?

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
If I read correctly what you are saying, the IMBA VIP program is not -2% from invoice anymore, but some fixed amount off MSRP? When did this change?

Do you know how much off MSRP is the discount for an OB and if it varies by region or if it is the same amount nationwide?
My dealer looked on a screen and calculated 2% less than "invoice" on his screen. That price was pretty much what I came up with getting "invoice" from Internet sources. I tested the waters with area dealers and none here were selling 2013 and popular colors that low.

I saw somebody with a new 2013 locally and the chat had me believing I did almost $1000 better getting a Limited.

It seems to me dealers are more competitive in some markets than others.

I get much personal benefit from IMBA because I am a trail builder and board member of a bike organization so it was a no brainier to do it. It goes faster now. You get a .pdf within a day of the IMBA office processes it.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what it says on the IMBA website (a dollar range off msrp... 1500-3000 I think), yet people are reporting it's 2% off invoice. So who knows...just know I liked it when I used it in 02 but am not mad at myself for not using it this go around.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx! I'll keep the oneup in mind.

If you go hitch rack the bargain Saris Freedom and 1 Up will be lightest for a car. The 1 Up is more money than popular racks but trust me that nothing else is in the same league or with all the thought in design.

Good luck with the new wheels.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5 w/ moon light
52 Posts
My dealer looked on a screen and calculated 2% less than "invoice" on his screen. That price was pretty much what I came up with getting "invoice" from Internet sources.
That's what it says on the IMBA website (a dollar range off msrp... 1500-3000 I think), yet people are reporting it's 2% off invoice. So who knows...just know I liked it when I used it in 02 but am not mad at myself for not using it this go around.
Thank you both for sharing your experiences with the IMBA program.
I stopped by a dealership this Saturday to test drive an OB. I am not going to buy a car for a few more weeks, but I asked the question about the VIP program, because I want to know if I will consider it as an option when I am going to shop. The salesman's answer was that it was 2% over invoice. That's really strange, going from -2% to +2%. That's no incentive at all.

At the same time, I do not know if I can trust that guy. So, I am curios if anybody else has any concrete information about the current IMBA VIP incentive.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Thank you both for sharing your experiences with the IMBA program.
I stopped by a dealership this Saturday to test drive an OB. I am not going to buy a car for a few more weeks, but I asked the question about the VIP program, because I want to know if I will consider it as an option when I am going to shop. The salesman's answer was that it was 2% over invoice. That's really strange, going from -2% to +2%. That's no incentive at all.

At the same time, I do not know if I can trust that guy. So, I am curios if anybody else has any concrete information about the current IMBA VIP incentive.
Content from my program request follows and I got a .pdf via email about 2 days after I submitted the info.

If you do this program don't deal with anybody but the sales manager when you walk in the door. The sales manager should then make you a VIP to the extent of aligning you with a salesperson who knows what's up or is under their direct supervision.

In my area the VIP purchase is a good deal. With one firm owning both franchises prices are not as competitive unless you take the time to get a car 150 miles away.

Hi ____,

Thanks for your interest in our VIP Subaru program. If you have been a member of IMBA for 6 months consecutively you automatically qualify for a 2% below the dealer invoice price on any new Subaru model (with the exception of the WRX, BRZ and Crosstrek models). All you need to do is email me with your member information and the specific dealership that you’re going to use and I will then process your request to Subaru. Within 24 business hours Subaru will email you an authorization letter valid for 45 days and will forward an authorization to the specified dealership, as well.

Sincerely,

J____ H____
IMBA Member Services Coordinator

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Congrats...What bike rack are you going to get?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts