'17 3.6
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just too cool to pass up.

Here it is last year:

Here it is yesterday:

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Flat towed it home yesterday.

The entire body has been cut off and rebuilt in the rear.

The 6" lift is integrated into the body rebuild.

It has a 2.2 instead of a 2.5 so I think it's been swapped.

It also has a dead clutch currently.

I'm looking into options for clutches that will hold up to the abuse or swapping it to an Automatic.

Since it's a gutted woods buggy I'm not super concerned if I need to swap the harness too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Didn’t watch the entire video. But looking at the photo, is the vehicle a Subaru body grafted onto a Jeep frame or similar? I see what appears to be a differential (that for a solid axle) under the front. Just curious. I’ve seen plenty of grafted vehicles over the decades. A next door neighbor of a friend of mine runs a ’69 stock looking body from a Chevy Nova on a modified Chevy K5 frame.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn’t watch the entire video. But looking at the photo, is the vehicle a Subaru body grafted onto a Jeep frame or similar? I see what appears to be a differential (that for a solid axle) under the front. Just curious. I’ve seen plenty of grafted vehicles over the decades. A next door neighbor of a friend of mine runs a ’69 stock looking body from a Chevy Nova on a modified Chevy K5 frame.
The floor rotted out in the rear. So the floor pan, strut mounts, and rockers are all welded angle iron.

The body was lifted 6" away from the drivetrain at the same time.

I believe what you're seeing up front is the engine cradle, engine, and front end.

It's just half a foot lower than it should be.

Wood Auto part Art Metal Pattern

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Font Art

Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
458 Posts
How'd they deal with the brake lines? Even with a 2" lift I could see some of my lines becoming a bit tight. Had to make some modifications on the rear hardlines to make my SS braided lines fit.

Also, what about the steering arm/joint? Seems like you'd have to extent it to fit that big lift.

Nice. 👍

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,620 Posts
what is the build date on the factory body?
seems pretty close to 25 years old for "antique" plates in some states.

edit: and i like how in the first video posted the guys chasing after log skidders bring a variety of spare axles. (not labeled,....but they brought them).

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So some small update here:

I have a drive train for it. I think it was originally a EJ25D/4EAT car. It is currently an EJ22/5 Speed.

It looks like it will have the factory drive train again. An automatic would be much happier dealing with those tires than the currently burned clutch.

The only thing I'm not in love with about this swap is it won't be able to be flat towed easily now. I guess I can pull the front axles as well as the driveshaft. :)

Beyond that:

Since it's currently a spray painted woods buggy I am going to be going to the Detroit Gambler 500 with it. Since I'm doing a gambler I think it needs a more vibrant paint job.

The current most likely update is a tribute Volkswagen Harlequin:

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle

Oh, Also I bought a Nissan Xterra to Go Along with this one on the Gambler. It's 4WD/5 Speed, 130k miles and rod knock.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Plus some cool Zebra stripes on the plastic.

I also bought a Honda but that's a different story. :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,620 Posts
sack-religious to paint any subaru in VW harley-quin,...even in WV

World Rally Blue, !!! with hideous red dollar store cutting board, imitation ralley armour mud flaps.

and that thing really needs fender flares,...pebbles be taking someones eye out. (maybe your's,... De Empress,...or Mr. Bender)

Reactions: Brucey

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sack-religious to paint any subaru in VW harley-quin,...even in WV

World Rally Blue, !!! with hideous red dollar store cutting board, imitation ralley armour mud flaps.

and that thing really needs fender flares,...pebbles be taking someones eye out. (maybe your's,... De Empress,...or Mr. Bender)
Well I definitely need to give it that paint job now.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,620 Posts
Well I definitely need to give it that paint job now.
the original harley-quin was intimidated and altered many times, ...I remember seeing charts for the originally designed paint schemes though.

edit and posted it here: (me promoting VW dogma to @traildogck )

and back in the 60s - 70s people use to do similar things to VW bugs,....
sometimes made them hard to match by a cop vs. what was on the registration.
(like the registration computer can only take 2 color choices,...and you got equal amounts of 4 colors).

____ but for the woodland assault vehicle:

for speeding things along with less paint.

how about black / red/ and white,...with a decal of Harley in the window, pounding Mr. J in the go-nads. ?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

Drivetrain: Got

It fit well and we actually managed to get all our stuff back in and the dogs and drive comfortably back home.

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

It's smaller than I was expecting it to be. The wiring harness in a Chevy Suburban makes a great paper towel holder. :)

Going to try to swap it out this weekend. Not sure if I'm going to lift the body away from the drivetrain or lift the drive train out of the car.

With the crazy body lift it has I'm not sure what would be the best route.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,620 Posts
if lifting out the top: are you going to remove the hood and the rad support ?

if dropping out the bottom: are you going to put the whole thing up on jackstands that are on top of cement blocks ?

and this thing needs: some kind of H6 POWER !! (or as they say in Joisey: Pow-ah )

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
458 Posts
View attachment 537305

Drivetrain: Got

It fit well and we actually managed to get all our stuff back in and the dogs and drive comfortably back home.

View attachment 537306

It's smaller than I was expecting it to be. The wiring harness in a Chevy Suburban makes a great paper towel holder. :)

Going to try to swap it out this weekend. Not sure if I'm going to lift the body away from the drivetrain or lift the drive train out of the car.

With the crazy body lift it has I'm not sure what would be the best route.

My vote is to lift the body/drop the engine. I've done that once before (on a Honda) and it actually was pretty dang smooth and easy.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
13,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright. Beginning the swap.

Swapping the wiring harness as well since the original is so chopped up it's hard to make sense of it.

The ECU has been relocated to the location of the passenger airbag.

Lots of custom wiring that seems to go places and goes nowhere.

Since most of the interior is already stripped it should be fairly easy to run a new harness. How much of the glove box do I really need?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,620 Posts
I remember "west coast customs" got pimp-my-ride smacked $10,000 by the feds for taking airbags out of a car to put video monitors in.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts