'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Making a thread about this car.

Known major issues:

It's a turbo Subaru.

It's a rusty Subaru.

Known minor issues:

The turbo is hilariously dead. About an inch of play in the turbine. Got a new VF40 already but need to install.

Technical glitches:

It's currently located in Ohio and I'm located in WV.

Assessment:

I always liked the Outback XT's but the Legacy GT wagon's have always looked great to me. So unassuming. It's black on black 2005 with 180k ish and a 5EAT.

Trying to decide if flip or keep as a toy right now. Guess I'll have to decide after I replace the turbo.

This is gonna be fun.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Sexy!

Here's mine. Lots has happened to it since this photo.

Welcome to the club!

What are your plans to check out the engine before slapping that new turbo on there?

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
Uhaul it,

even if you don't got a truck/SUV good enough to tow, use a Uhaul pickup and the "transporter" trailer.

renting their pickup is pricey by the mile though. so maybe look at the difference between round trip with theirs or getting the Uhaul stuff in Ohio and dumping it in WV. (including gas)

___

when its up on a lift:

please take and publish some pics of where these rust. (maybe with some telestrator type circles,...as its rust vs black and such maybe hard to spot in a image).

_____

price out a long block from a known rebuilder. = $2000-3000 ? for the matching one.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
..... It's a turbo Subaru.

..... This is gonna be fun.
Now there are two sentences you don't see together in the same post very often, at least on the repair and maintenance side of it!

Good luck with it though!

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium, No Eyesight/Nav, Ice Silver
56 Posts
Such fun cars to drive. Enjoy the project and...subscribed!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news! The turbo inlet hose is cracked.

I can buy OEM, aftermarket, rig it, or buy someone else's rigged unit.

Hmmmm decisions decisions.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
price out a long block from a known rebuilder. = $2000-3000 ? for the matching one.
Is rebuilding even worth it? You can get a new ej257 (sti) shortblock direct from Subaru for ~$1800 shipped. I think the pistons are different somehow is the only difference? Also the 257 is not as susceptible to oil consumption issues as the 255 in the LGT from what I understand.

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2014_Impreza/SHORT-BLOCK-ENGINE-ASSEMBLY-R-DOT/49223029/10103AC050.html

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is rebuilding even worth it? You can get a new ej257 (sti) shortblock direct from Subaru for ~$1800 shipped. I think the pistons are different somehow is the only difference? Also the 257 is not as susceptible to oil consumption issues as the 255 in the LGT from what I understand.

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2014_Impreza/SHORT-BLOCK-ENGINE-ASSEMBLY-R-DOT/49223029/10103AC050.html
I don't have much experience with turbos but I figure it will be a fun learning experience. Sell it when I'm done and hopefully be able to get what I put in? Nah I'm dreaming. :nerd:

Picture of inlet hose:

Think I'm going to go with the pre-rigged hose because the price is right and it amuses me.

Thanks @traildogck.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Things might just get ugly.
Judging from that inlet picture, things are already ugly. I don't suppose this is any worse. It's a rednecked radiator hose welded on with some permatex grey.

Amusing is one way to put it. It's fully functional and very tough. I ran in on FrankenWagon for a while.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I brought "iunno" home today.

Lied through my teeth to U Haul about what I was hauling and they happily rented me a dolly.

Disconnected the driveshaft and drove it home.

Considering I was only 3000 or so pounds over the recommended towing weight with no trailer brakes I find Subaru's tow ratings to be pretty spot on. My stopping distance with the Gen 5 could be measured in miles. I would not recommend doing this for any reason. The power and cooling system is up to the task but the brakes absolutely aren't. I also ended up in a hail storm and got a nice dent on the hood of the Gen 5 from it.

My solution to not being able to stop was simply to not use my brakes and be the slowest vehicle on the road. I'm sorry for all the residents of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia that put up with me while I was towing it home.

It's home now. Parked and driving. Still throwing codes and something is funky with the power steering but it's drive-able. I'm going to pull the codes tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
gee, no pics of the outback train parked out back of a outback steakhouse.

what does the name mean? iunno just links back to this thread.

Juno, Juneau? ...spelled with a I,...like in old latin/greek?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gee, no pics of the outback train parked out back of a outback steakhouse.

what does the name mean? iunno just links back to this thread.

Juno, Juneau? ...spelled with a I,...like in old latin/greek?
It's short for "I don't know"

As in "I don't know what I'm doing and am making it up as I go along"

"Iunno"

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
I would really like that for around town...

Reactions: Brucey

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
It's short for "I don't know"

As in "I don't know what I'm doing and am making it up as I go along"

"Iunno"
this will really add to resale value on the exit strategy. :flush:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drove it a little today.

Suspension doesn't clank, brakes stop the car well, engine is smooth as it revs but does not want to idle.

I'm going to follow some parameters with the scangauge and see what's up. I think in open loop it's fine but in closed loop it doesn't want to idle right. My guess is a hose somewhere is off.

Didn't have a check engine light but checked for codes.

Showed a P0000 Code.

LOL That's a new one. Apparently it's a problem with my ancient scangauge.

A/C isn't as cold as I'd like. The rear bezel is cracked/missing. There is some rust on the fender. The ash tray doesn't want to stay closed.

Other than that it's great.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
LOL That's a new one. Apparently it's a problem with my ancient scangauge.
Psst ... Hey buddy, ever hear of RomRaider, then you can share logs with other nosy boosted boys and girls.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Great now I got to remember where my tactrix is.

Is an idling log enough to help?
That's when it runs crappy, that's good place to start. I'd just log it driving around town.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Psst ... Hey buddy, ever hear of RomRaider, then you can share logs with other nosy boosted boys and girls.
Alright I found my tactrix and spent like an hour getting the laptop working and everything figured out with it.

Made a short log of starting the car and letting it idle.

Link for the nosy boys and girls:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eowVF8vco519Dsp6zjIztcJlgYhPb_FN

What parameters should I be logging now that I got it working?

I also made a fun video of pulling the GT through a hail storm because I was bored trying to get the tactrix working.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts