Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was planning to put my 2017 outback on 4 jack stands for when i have to do tire rotation. but my stands have flat tops, and was wondering if anyone has used jack stand pads where the pinch welds are located? something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JTHHBXI

i was also planning to use a hockey puck on my jack so that it would have a flat surface to lift at the front and rear jack points. anyone use something similar? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPHES8W

or an even cheaper route would be to use hockey pucks all around, and use a table saw to cut grooves for the pinch welds. $16 for 4 pucks, versus $35 for the jack stand pads.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I usually place the jack stands at the frame or some solid point.
I have thought of using pucks as well, haven't got around to it but it could work as long as the puck isn't grooved more than 2/3 of its height. Any more than that and there is a chance it will split.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thinking about it more, pads on jack stands seem a little sketchy and may make it unstable. but maybe it's doable? from reading all the reviews and searching here, i can't find anyone who's put the round pads on jack stands. they've all been used on jacks.

worse case, i'll use the single jack method but i'd prefer to lift the entire car up. are there any aftermarket jack stands designed for the pinch welds?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a polyurethane saddle pad on my floor jack like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-19-1405-Red-Jack-Pad/dp/B00387A6TC/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1471959807&sr=1-6&keywords=polyurethane+jack+pad
Can't remember if I got it at HF or not, but I don't see one on their website now. It grips better than the steel saddle and provides a no-mar contact surface. It just sits in the saddle but has never wanted to pop out or anything under use.

I have these pads on jackstands, but I think I've only used them once so far.
2 Piece Rubber Pads for Jack Stand

Like MJ, I usually put the stands under more solid frame rather than the body. The exception would be if I needed to access that area for whatever I'm working on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, i guess i'll do more searching on this site to see where people are placing their jack stands. or if you have any threads bookmarked/subscribed, you're welcome to pose them here too :)

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
I use little pine blocks...(ie chuncks of 2x4, 4x4 blocks are great. I have used them both on my jack stands and my floor jacks. They are pretty cheap, as they are scrap.

·
Super Moderator
25,185 Posts
I concur with traildog,

and I have almost bought hockey pucks just to cut them.

when I just took some old scrap pressure treated pine decking and 2x2 and made some things that would fit the pinch weld. (I made a pair and keep one each in the back of each car).

plenty of threads on the subject, ....really wish subaru would have made something better then a exposed pinch welded side sill for fiddling around with on a soft shoulder.

does not have to be this cool,....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSabTiFpIzY

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I use el cheapo 2x4 nubs on my jack stands. I have blocks stacked in pcs of 2,3 and 4 for my cars.

On my stands I use the cheap boots from Harbor freight. They fit kind of floppy so they are held in place by Panduit cable ties that are likely worth more than the boots lol.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just got some Plastidip and dipped the top of my jack stands. Gave them a nice protective layer so they don't scratch the car. I originally thought about doing the rubber caps, but was concerned about them sliding off or making the car unstable so I went with the plastidip method.

For the pinch weld I got something on ebay that does the trick. Looks like this, but mine is yellow: VW Volkswagen Black Jack Pad Adapter Floor Jack Pinch Weld Side Lift Jetta Bug | eBay

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
thinking about it more, pads on jack stands seem a little sketchy and may make it unstable. but maybe it's doable? from reading all the reviews and searching here, i can't find anyone who's put the round pads on jack stands. they've all been used on jacks.
I use hockey pucks everywhere: on my jack and on my jack stands at the pinch welds. I have given the car a good hard shake. Nothing moved at the jack stand. Also, I did NOT carve a little slot into the pucks for the pinch welds. I don’t see how a little slot in the hockey puck would stabilize anything. Rather, a slot in a hockey puck compromises its strength and increases the chance of the pinch weld splitting the puck.

·
Registered
16 Posts

After researching many posts and online I found mention of the actual lift point being just inside the pinch weld and this is corroborated by the configuration of the OEM jackstand(sitting in front). I found that some owners knowing this crafted their pucks to mimic this pattern. I came across these Rennstand jack pads and it looks like it will drop right in the saddle of my Craftsman 3 1/2 ton floor jack.
Says Crosstrek but lists these:
Fits:
2012 - 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Subaru Forester
Subaru Outback
Subaru Liberty

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
View attachment 470588
After researching many posts and online I found mention of the actual lift point being just inside the pinch weld and this is corroborated by the configuration of the OEM jackstand(sitting in front). I found that some owners knowing this crafted their pucks to mimic this pattern. I came across these Rennstand jack pads and it looks like it will drop right in the saddle of my Craftsman 3 1/2 ton floor jack.
Says Crosstrek but lists these:
Fits:
2012 - 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Subaru Forester
Subaru Outback
Subaru Liberty
I looked at their video - that pad is setup to attach to their stand. The hole is 1/2" in diameter for that pin. Not sure how big the hole is on your craftsman jack (I think they are larger, I haven't measured mine ever). I originally judged the width of the pins by the first digit on his thumb as a scale reference, but found a diagram that implies that the pin is half an inch (it's not explicitly labeled).

I like the idea of their jack stands. solves the problem of jacking at that point and then setting a stand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will need to sleeve it, the pin measures an inch and a quarter diameter on the jack saddle. And the Subie pad is 3" square so a nice fit on the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4" jack pad receiver on the jack. Not sure the sleeve is necessary as it wouldn't slide around much once the weight was on it.
Not sure I'm springing $130 for a stand...one stand...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I will need to sleeve it, the pin measures an inch and a quarter diameter on the jack saddle. And the Subie pad is 3" square so a nice fit on the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4" jack pad receiver on the jack. Not sure the sleeve is necessary as it wouldn't slide around much once the weight was on it. View attachment 470633 Not sure I'm springing $130 for a stand...one stand...
Yep. Just pointing it out in case others think it’s a part for a regular floor jack

I can’t believe how $$$ those stands are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Rennstand by Safe Jack has got to be inherently weaker than a classic jack stand. Just look at the structure. The welds on that thing better be top notch.
I wasn't interested in spending that money and saw reports of failures. I think the jack pad is near perfect though, even closer with the addition of a 3/4" nut and some hot glue. edit- the craftsman jack pin is 1 1/4" and the 3/4" nut nearly fills the hole moving very little.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I never use my jack as a quick jack stand. It seems odd to go through the trouble of getting the perfect pad, only to use the jack as a quick jack stand. The jack hydraulics are the weak link in that system. Also, the jack is intended to move.

It is easy enough to jack an OB properly and rest the car stably on jack stands. It adds maybe 30 seconds to the job.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
jakemccoy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing