Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help from you guys. I'm heavily leaning towards saving my wagon for a swap, but I've never swapped an engine, and i've never shopped for a recovered engine.

I think maybe this will help others too, looking for @cardoc and others to help if you guys have a few moments.

I don't know what to look for when shopping for an engine. I'm not hot to buy one right now, but would appreciate being educated some about what to look for.

I've posted a few Ebay links below of some of the better looking auction/sales entries, I'd like for people to take a look at them and be hyper critical about them from a visual inspection. I mean be super ruthless. Criticise strongly everything you think needs attention, from the engine, to the seller, to their ebay post itself. Don't pull any punches or gloss over them. I think having such examples will be helpful to others who like me know next to nothing about avoiding problems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-00-02-...utback-Legacy-Lancaster-H6-EZ30D/283042414391

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-EZ30-Engine-2000-2001-2002-Legacy-H6-3-0L/283069009754

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-EZ30D-...-Lancaster-EZ30-3-0L-Engine-Only/152751351907

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-1999-2...K-H6-EZ30-3-0L-6-CYLINDER-ENGINE/152827028893

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,390 Posts
#3 does not list the miles and has minor surface rust on the cover that the others do not appear to have.

The price appears to reflect this. For the minor cost in savings I would go with any of the other 3.

#4 has a broken cover for some reason while none of the others do. It's pictures are also noticeably darker than others. Considering the bountifulness of other options I would also rule it out if for no other reason than the seller needs a higher power flash or better lighting in their shop. Actually it's not even in a shop it's in a carpeted office which is strange.

That's my only thoughts.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
I would find some JDM shops that are on the internet and call them and ask them to send you pictures. The closer the place is to your physically will save on shipping. If they are willing to send you pictures and communicate well they are probably a good shop. If they do not send pictures or are short to respond to your inquires I would move on.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Also, the motors with the black painted injector covers are slightly newer production than the ones with the silver covers. #4 above is the older production.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would find some JDM shops that are on the internet and call them and ask them to send you pictures. The closer the place is to your physically will save on shipping. If they are willing to send you pictures and communicate well they are probably a good shop. If they do not send pictures or are short to respond to your inquires I would move on.
Well, I would think that, for example, when searching for a shop like this because of the nature of the market here, you might expect them to operate a website.

I put [japanese engine importer] into the ol G, and it returned to me 2 local businesses I'd never heard of, each with 10 google reviews at least, and neither of them operate a website.

I'm not sure what to make of that...Their ratings weren't terrible, but how can you do business in this day and age without even a basic page in something like this...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,390 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of that...Their ratings weren't terrible, but how can you do business in this day and age without even a basic page in something like this...
Pretty easily if you do good work, stay involved in your local community, and maintain a good reputation with them.

You won't have to rely on fake/biased google/yelp/amazon reviews, inbound marketing, or targeted advertising at all. :wink2:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,390 Posts
Well, at the very least it makes shopping inventory a pain.
My local garage is the only mechanics I've ever put any faith in. They know exactly what they're doing and don't oversell you nor do they undersell you.

They have 0 social media presence. They have a couple google reviews and I'm one of them. Positive of course.

They are so busy that it's not even worth bothering with for them to maintain a website.

Give them a call and ask what they have. They might surprise you. At the very least you didn't waste any real time.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#3 does not list the miles and has minor surface rust on the cover that the others do not appear to have.

Is this a quality concern if its just the belt cover?

I see a section of the belt in the 2nd picture in the lower right tension where part of the belt is brown, and part of it near the pulley is black. That seems like it might be indicative of something.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,390 Posts
Is this a quality concern if its just the belt cover?

I see a section of the belt in the 2nd picture in the lower right tension where part of the belt is brown, and part of it near the pulley is black. That seems like it might be indicative of something.
Indicative that it hard a harder life than the others since they're not rusted.

It likely would be fine but why bother if the others are the same price?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,444 Posts
Rust on any engine from overseas may be expected due to being on a boat in the salt water. Wash your engine with tap water in the south and after it dries you have crystallization (salt crystals) starting quickly after. If the seller can verify the mileage is at or below the Japanese emission tax limit, then go with it. I wouldn't worry about cosmetics on aluminum and steel accessory parts that you can swap. I would be concerned with mileage and visible leaks and condition of the aluminum surfaces that would indicate high mileage. Also, there may be a few sellers out there advertising JDM that is not JDM origin.

I got my last H6 (EZ30D) from an importer in NJ. I've put 30k miles on it with the boost and no issues. https://www.jdmenginedepotinc.com/

Look at the pulleys: https://www.jdmenginedepotinc.com/p...caster-tribeca-3-0l-h6-engine-only-jdm-ez30d/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts