Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 1650 mile trip over the holiday and I thought I'd update my opinion on the JDM H6 I swapped out about 7 months ago.

Our trip was through eastern Tennessee and on to North Carolina where we crossed the Smokeys and all the way to the coast. Much of that trip was running in the sport mode which the H6 loved!
When not in the mountains, I ran around 80 mph with the tranny in standard shift mode at about 2700 rpm.

OK, so now for the stats:

1650 miles total, which included several days of in town driving in Wilmington and average fuel economy ran 24.6 mpg.
Oil consumption was 3/4 of a quart of 10W-40.
No error codes!
No mechanical issues.
Good AC!

In summary, I'm very pleased with my JDM engine!

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
534 Posts
Oil consumption was 3/4 of a quart of 10W-40

Serious question; is that supposed to be a good consumption rate? I've been changing my oil every 6 months which averages around 5.5k miles. Haven't ever needed to put in more than a quart between changes. Engine has 155k.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Serious question; is that supposed to be a good consumption rate? I've been changing my oil every 6 months which averages around 5.5k miles. Haven't ever needed to put in more than a quart between changes. Engine has 155k.
From what I understand, some oil consumption in these subaru engines isn't unusual. I wasn't alarmed especially when this was some pretty aggressive driving conditions.

I'd be interested if anyone has a different opinion or similar experiences?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Long highway trips a high speeds (over 60 mph) does tend to increase oil usage. Personally I wouldn't get to excited over 3/4 a qt in that trip.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R H6 VDC
278 Posts
We're you running premium gas? I run premium all the time, and although my car loves it (shifts alot better, better throttle response),

I get 12.5 - 14 mpg on my best day. I don't drive like a maniac either. Thankfully I don't have a horrible commute, otherwise she would be a garage queen, and I'd be driving a Prius for my daily.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're you running premium gas? I run premium all the time, and although my car loves it (shifts alot better, better throttle response),

I get 12.5 - 14 mpg on my best day. I don't drive like a maniac either. Thankfully I don't have a horrible commute, otherwise she would be a garage queen, and I'd be driving a Prius for my daily.
Yep, always premium and I always try to use reputable fuel, not the cheapest supplier. I also run a can of Sea Foam through every few months just to get rid of any condensation in the tank.

The H6 has something like 10.2 : 1 compression ratio, you better use premium or you will not be getting optimum performance and it will be pinging! Actually, it's called for by the manufacturer!

That seems like very poor fuel economy! You might consider looking at some live data to see if all your sensors are hitting their specs.....

·
Registered
2008 3.0R
73 Posts

I get 26mpg or so on the freeway and have a 3700 mile average (that's what the trip odometer is at right now) of 22.8....how are you getting such low mileage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts