Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently realized that I’ve been driving without a brake booster check valve since the JDM swap. I’ve purchased a new OEM brake booster hose with the check valve and a new plug.

Problem is I can’t for the life of me get the old plug out. The 8mm square make plug is now damaged and mangled to the point that sockets and wrenches are useless. Any ideas from anyone who has worked on this before.

Read on a corvette forum you could try heating the aluminum around the plug and wax but with the fuel lines right there I don’t have the guts to try it.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/442145-2002-ll-bean-overheating-4.html

Post #32

Here is the text (pictures in original thread)

You don't need to swap the intakes. I used ~18-20" of 3/8" high pressure fuel line and a brass barb to extend my line to the passenger side port. The high pressure fuel line is suitable as a vacuum line. Saves the time and hassle of swapping the intake. I cut the line as in the picture.

Pay attention to the location and orientation of the embedded vacuum check valve. My finger is covering it in the picture where I show where I cut the OE hose. It is circled in red in the other photo.

My brake booster hose was torn on the engine side anyways from heat and age so I needed to cut some off or replace the whole hose anyways.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually Lockmedic suggested that when I asked about it when I was getting the engine. I apparently skipped the little fact that the check valve was in the OEM hose at the time. So I just ran fuel hose by it’s self. Though the diameter is smaller. 5/16” I think, It worked for the time being.

Guess that’s what I’ll have to do, just was looking for a way to do it without any modification.

Thanks for reminding me

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually just finished it now. I don’t have the clamps on, but working like it should. About to take a test drive to see if the brakes feel any different.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Must be, just finished a quick test drive. Brakes feel a bit firmer and more consistent and don’t know if it’s related or just optimism but acceleration feels better at slower speeds.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Problem is I can’t for the life of me get the old plug out. The 8mm square make plug is now damaged and mangled to the point that sockets and wrenches are useless. Any ideas from anyone who has worked on this before.
Cool. I attempted to remove that plug on the drivers side on my JDM motor but the 1/4" nub broke off. It must be locktited/glued in.
Yes, it is glued in with some dark green epoxy. Probably not allowed in the U.S.A. cause it works....

Had an extra manifold so I heated up the boss with a plumbers torch, grabbed hold with vise grips and gave it a twist. NO GO! Heated it more and this time gave it a quick snap and it came free. The other side nipple came loose easier but I might have given it more heat....

Have to admit having the manifold sitting on the bench had a lot to do with the success.... The "extend the hose" is likely the best solution!

Glad you have your brakes back!!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts