Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited, Gray on Black
23 Posts
I posted this a week or so ago: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/494965-ebay-sports-mesh-grille.html

One thing is that these are unpainted, so getting it shot is going to eat into your savings, if you're not good with a rattle can or don't want to plastidip. Also, these are not drilled...so not sure what sort of complications that would create. Had I time and extra $200, I'd give it a go, but life is being hectic these weeks....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted this a week or so ago: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/494965-ebay-sports-mesh-grille.html

One thing is that these are unpainted, so getting it shot is going to eat into your savings, if you're not good with a rattle can or don't want to plastidip. Also, these are not drilled...so not sure what sort of complications that would create. Had I time and extra $200, I'd give it a go, but life is being hectic these weeks....
thanks. Guess didn't read into it. Didn't see about the paint or the tabs. Can't send 400 for the jdm, thought this would work. Oh well.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited, Gray on Black
23 Posts
thanks. Guess didn't read into it. Didn't see about the paint or the tabs. Can't send 400 for the jdm, thought this would work. Oh well.
Also, if you check my original posting, someone replied saying that the pictures in the eBay listing showed photoshopped pics of a car with an actual JDM grille...also, they have a 96.5% rating, so they come across as sort of janky...

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
just saw a subie done the way i want to do mine today. really sweet and it had the jdm grill. my son said i should pull the trigger, but my wallet and my wife say otherwise.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
just saw a subie done the way i want to do mine today. really sweet and it had the jdm grill. my son said i should pull the trigger, but my wallet and my wife say otherwise.
See my ex-wife is outta the financial picture and little B has zero concept of money and value. My issue is the width of the wallet. $400 is nuts.

Send my your stock grill, for $175 I will JDM it for you. I have done this plenty on Gen3s...infact, you can pic the mesh even. Here is an example of something I did for one of my shows with FrankenWagon.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
ill keep you in mind when i get to that phase. since the front has to come off, im waiting to do this when i install the rally bar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See my ex-wife is outta the financial picture and little B has zero concept of money and value. My issue is the width of the wallet. $400 is nuts.

Send my your stock grill, for $175 I will JDM it for you. I have done this plenty on Gen3s...infact, you can pic the mesh even. Here is an example of something I did for one of my shows with FrankenWagon.

looks good. Have you done gen 5? What kind of material did you use? You use the original grill and use a hard mesh?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
looks good. Have you done gen 5? What kind of material did you use? You use the original grill and use a hard mesh?
I was just fooling around with my car and the mesh is just from home depot. I haven't done a Gen4 or 5. There are websites that sell alt types of mesh. If you were serious, I would like you to materials and have you choose you look. Then use that material.

I was partially kidding though. You would need to be without your grill for 2-3 weeks during the process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just fooling around with my car and the mesh is just from home depot. I haven't done a Gen4 or 5. There are websites that sell alt types of mesh. If you were serious, I would like you to materials and have you choose you look. Then use that material.

I was partially kidding though. You would need to be without your grill for 2-3 weeks during the process.
Got ya. Maybe something I can mess around with too. Beats $400.

·
Registered
209 Posts

I bought the JDM mesh grill on eBay and put it on my Gen 5 Outback. Painted it body color match (black) and also painted the lower brush guard black instead of the stock sliver. Gotta say it’s awesome. Totally changes the look of the car. Also bought some OUTBACK letters in brushed chrome for the area over the grill on the front of the hood and it gives the subie and Range Rover look. It’s a pain to install and would recommend finding a body shop who’s familiar with the removal of from bumper facias, as it has to come off to install the grill. You also have to do a little drilling to make it secure. But the end result is well worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I bought the JDM mesh grill on eBay and put it on my Gen 5 Outback. Painted it body color match (black) and also painted the lower brush guard black instead of the stock sliver. Gotta say it’s awesome. Totally changes the look of the car. Also bought some OUTBACK letters in brushed chrome for the area over the grill on the front of the hood and it gives the subie and Range Rover look. It’s a pain to install and would recommend finding a body shop who’s familiar with the removal of from bumper facias, as it has to come off to install the grill. You also have to do a little drilling to make it secure. But the end result is well worth it.
Did you use paint or plastidip for The brushguard? Got a pic of the front end? It sounds like a good change. Wanna do something with mine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pic of the grill after install
Used paint on the lower brush hard. Not sure if it will hold up but it was easy. Also, regardless of the color of your OB, I recommend painting the grill to match the body color. The JDM grill comes paint ready. I have a buddy who has a small body shop who owed me a ton of favors so it didn’t cost me a dime to have it it painted and installed, which helped the project get done. Not knowing how it would look, I probably would not done it, if I had to pay full rate from a body shop, But now after seeing the impact of the change it’s worth it. If you need to work with a body shop, I watched them do it and the entire process took only two -three hours including paint, so don’t let them rip you off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pic of the grill after install
Used paint on the lower brush hard. Not sure if it will hold up but it was easy. Also, regardless of the color of your OB, I recommend painting the grill to match the body color. The JDM grill comes paint ready. I have a buddy who has a small body shop who owed me a ton of favors so it didn’t cost me a dime to have it it painted and installed, which helped the project get done. Not knowing how it would look, I probably would not done it, if I had to pay full rate from a body shop, But now after seeing the impact of the change it’s worth it. If you need to work with a body shop, I watched them do it and the entire process took only two -three hours including paint, so don’t let them rip you off.
That looks great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts