Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm chasing the CEL gremlin and in the process replacing injectors, that are likely the original US N/A 2.5 injectors. The vehicle is a 2001 Outback wagon with 243K on it. The JDM N/A 2.0 has gone 45K now without any issues and I just recently replaced the A/F sensor, the coil, plug wires, NGK plugs, air filter, and PCV valve. I used OEM Subaru factory parts. Can anyone tell me what the correct injectors would be for this engine? The 2.5 injectors seem to be fine, but I've had a stumble/low speed vibration/shudder that I think might be attributable to either #1, #4 or both injectors not atomizing fuel well. It did this in the original 2.5 also. The #1 and #4 plugs had the electrode almost completely gone when I changed the them. It runs a bit better but is still getting the same overall mileage, about 25, and still has the stumble in neutral, sitting depressing the throttle and from idle up through first, second gears up to about 20 mph road speed, then it seems to disappear. The vibration doesn't increase with speed and I don't feel it through the steering wheel.

Any thoughts people?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
I am thinking we need a subsection for N/A 2.0 JDM discussion.

how to get the breathy pokey little turds to work properly in your VW unplated dunebuggy. ....as the JDM import people in the US will not just toss the stock they have into the recycling bin.

do the JDM shops actually state how this engine is going to pass emissions? will they take it back if it does not for a full refund plus your time?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Looks like for the SOHC 2.0L:

16611AA350 is for 99-01 era stuff (including the 2.2L/2.5L Impreza and 2.5L Forester in the USDM)[I believe these are also "Grey" injectors]

16611AA650 is for 2003-2004 era stuff (with the large, 5MT-style manifold, a la EJ252 (5MT Outback 2000-01)

Part numbers are from opposedforces.com

I'd check for vac leaks and cracks in the intake tract from the MAF to the throttle body. Are you using the EJ25 manifold or EJ20 manifold?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RoughDiamond,
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I know the Sub. injectors come in different colors and I'd wondered if that corresponded to a specific delivery volume. Yes, I'll look for leaks and crack in the intake tract when I switch out the injectors. I'm assuming you're meaning the hoses/tubing? I just reread your info, I've got a 2001 5MT Outback, that this swap is in, so I'd use the 650 injectors, correct? I can't find those on the site you suggested though

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
2000-2001 5MT Outbacks got a different manifold and injectors vs. the 4EAT version.

The original injectors for USDM 2001 Outback 5MT are 16611AA34B. Good for 99-01 EJ222 and EJ252 (5MT ONLY).

I would stick with the AA34B injectors as the ECU is tuned to their latencies and flow rates. The AA350s were also used in the 2.5 SOHC in the EUDM Foz and Legacy. AA350 Usage

Those o-rings can be a pain and a half to reinstall without tearing.. or if they are bloated, won't seal correctly and cause vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
If you think you are having trouble with the injectors I would have them professionally cleaned. Whitchhunter Performance will flow test and professionally clean them and send them back with new seals for $22 an injector. They will be as good as new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, on the O-rings. I bought brand new OEM from the dealer. Four O rings = $50!?!? Ouch. They LOOK like rubber, must actually be gold :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glennda5id,

I'd considered that, but I can buy injectors that have already been cleaned and balanced for about the same cost and have them ready to install as I pull the old ones. Thanks for the suggestion though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts