Subaru Outback Forums banner

Jerking shift into second.

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DuckyX 
#1 ·
I have a 06 Subaru outback. Just recently iv noticed over the last month its been shifting hard into 2nd gear. It will Rev all the way up to 28 or 30 rpm then. Shift really hard but all other gears shift smoothly. And I don't know much about transmission. Could anyone give me some information on what this could be. Am I looking at a new transmission? Thanks

#2 ·
How many miles on the car? Original owner? What do you know about the service history?

Step one is check the fluid. Low fluid level can cause this.
Transmission fluid must be checked on level ground, with engine running and warm transmission for best results.

All automatic transmissions needed serviced/rebuilt at some point over 100,000 miles. The power is transferred through friction disc. They wear out.

Check the fluid add if needed.

The easier you are on the transmission the longer it last. My brother had a crappy Chevy cavalier falling apart with 220,000 miles original transmission shifted fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
For starters the transmission doesn't wear out if regular fluid changes are performed.

Does the transmission kick hard to second every time it shifts, or does it do it when cold and only for a few times then shift closer to normal afterwards?

It may not be the transmission at all. When the transmission mount is worn the torque transition between 1 & 2 moves the trans and it kicks against the trans mount due to it being worn or ripped. Sometimes it'll be noticeable when going in to Drive. If you look at the mount and the center bolt with the round bushing is protruding about an inch, and there's signs the round bushing has been impacting the trans brace, then a new mount may solve your problem.

To check the fluid level, you would warm it up, a drive around the block would work, and park it level. Leaving the engine running in park, check the dipstick. It's located in the left side just below the two heater hoses. First pull, wipe it clean and reinsert it. There are two measurement marks. Cold and Hot. You want to have it at the Hot mark. If it's low add 1/2 qt at a time to fill it, checking it after each addition of fluid.

You will need a narrow tipped funnel to fit in to the dipstick tube to add fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.