Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! 08 Outback. When the ac is running I hear a jingle jangle sound coming from the area circled in this photo. As AC cycles on and off the jingle comes and goes. I've poked around gently to see if I can get it to go away but haven't figured it out.

See pic, any ideas? Dave

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,696 Posts
You've circled the power steering pump; the air conditioning pump is to the right. They are on different drive belts, with the power steering and alternator sharing one belt. I suppose that the extra electrical load with AC on to run the HVAC fan could be causing noise in the PS pump or bearing, but otherwise these aren't too connected to each other.

There are commonly issues with the O-ring on the PS pump inlet; this can cause unusual PS pump noises if air is introduced. Have you looked at the PS fluid lately and seen any air bubbles or anything else unusual?

·
Registered
18,407 Posts
To add another possibility, if the sound cycles on and off consistently with the AC compressor, and is not apparent otherwise, sound from that right side could be coming from the radiator fan. If the engine isn't overheating, the fan would normally be off, but it comes on with the AC compressor. There could be a broken blade, or something caught in the fan, or perhaps the fan motor itself. (That goes for both fans, which are turned on when the AC compressor is running.)

Also, there's added load on the crankshaft pulley when the compressor is operating. I wonder if both drive belts are in good condition (nothing slapping around), and if the crank pulley is running true. A recording of the sound might be useful.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jingle

So I gave it a good listen yesterday, and it sounds like one of those wind up Big Ben alarm clocks ringing just not quite as loud. Sounds like bells ringing. As far as I can tell the ringing is coming from where the passenger side fuel injectors are located, Don't think it is from power steering pump. And it comes and goes- at a regular interval like when something is cycling. Yesterday I turned the AC on to get it to ring. With the hood closed you can hear it 10 feet away. Dave

·
Registered
18,407 Posts
Is the jingling present when the engine is idling (in P or N), when the engine rpm is raised (while stopped in P or N) and/or when driving, as long as the A/C compressor is running?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jingle

It only Jingles when it is idling. When engine speed increases the sound goes away. I think it makes the sound whether the AC is on or not. Dave

·
Registered
18,407 Posts
Beginning to "sound" more like vibrating, loose, exhaust heat shields, which is very common on these cars. A bit of vibration from the engine is enough to set off the "tin pan orchestra". If initially it seemed to be more apparent when the AC was on, that's quite possible -- the engine is under additional load, and might shake in a different pattern than when the AC is off.

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
227 Posts
Is there an accessory belt tensioner in that area on the H4? There is on my H6 and it sometimes makes some noise that could be described as a "jangle". The sound does cycle and disappears with engine speed above idle. Just sayin...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts