Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had the Subi for about 2 years, and both front grease boots have busted recently. What is the expected life of these things? I did not get a book from the first owner so I'm not sure when these things should be replaced. I see online that they are listed as being made of plain rubber - I was wondering if there are any made of silicone? I would think these would really last the best...

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
the CV joint boots?

I had one inner fail, and one outer, it took over 175,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,136 Posts
I THINK Raybestos has silicone boots. The idea of them seems very attractive to me for our 03's pass side inner location.

however, the one or two reviews I could find were negative.

I also wonder about some type of flexible, high-temp ,silver-metalized spray-on paint that would help shield the rubber from the heat.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Both my inner split. Driver's side wasn't anywhere near a heat source. Took 90k on the pass side, 100k on drivers.

There is a good walkthrough on how to replace just the boot. Costs about $25.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
On my '03 Outback I only had the front passenger side inner boot changed at 121K, all other boots are still the original factory ones.

There really isn't a schedule for changing cv boots, but if you inspect them regularly, you probably spot them cracking and replace them before they split.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,136 Posts
I think it's Dorman that has them (I have no idea about fitment for soobs though);

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-614-004-HELP-Universal-Silicone/dp/B000C0YAA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361480009&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+cv+boot[/ame]

Dorman CV Joint Boots 614-002 - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Looks like both the Dorman and the one offered by Raybestos (on Rockauto) are both split boots (I might be wrong), anyway split boots tend not to last very long. A Regular whole rubber boot will definetly outlast a split-type boot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts