Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r Limited - Deep Indigo Pearl
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted my husband to drive the 2013 Legacy before he made his final decision on his new car. I checked the local dealership we've already bought THREE Subaru's from to see if they had any 2013's in stock and saw they did.

So we drive down and walk around and the Sale's manager wants to deal with us directly since he sold us our last car.

So I say, we'd love to drive the 2013 and he says, why not a 2012?

And of course I'm like, well I have a 2012 Outback, I really want the new features and my husband is looking for a sedan, I want him to drive it.

He then goes on to tell me that it hasn't changed much, new grill.

What? I go on to say, that's not true and rattle off some changes. Oh yeah, it has changed some, we don't have any, we expect to get some in, we can tell you when they are in.

I was so livid. I mean, is this how you treat a good customer? Like an idiot?

I am sure I am overreacting, but the sales manager knows the 2013 is different and they want to unload those 2012's. I was just pissed off.

Husband wound up getting a Golf TDI.

·
Registered
09 Outback PZEV
15 Posts
Hi, I don't think you're over reacting at all. It's sad that car salesman only think of the bottom line and making a quick sale vice cultivating customer loyalty by giving the customer what they want. The quickest way to get me to walk away to somewhere else is to do exactly what that car salesman did. That bad experience there has planted a bad seed for you now at that dealership and perhaps even the brand of Subaru a little bit. If I were the manager I would have lots of training with the sales people about these second and third order effects that aren't considered by the salesman looking for the quick fix to get the end of the month quota for a pay check.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
17 Posts
Sad, you would think that the salesman would have done anything to get a previous customer into the car they wanted...fail!

·
Registered
103 Posts
You also have to figure that the changes between the model years are 'minor' to most average consumers. In the past I would consider a trim change on a turbo a pretty significant change in a model year of a car, but the salesman often wouldn't even know.

I doubt it was personal, but 'major' is exterior and interior redesigns to most consumers.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
It's amazing how things can change from one salesman to another. You can always tell a green salesman from a vet that reads their material and knows hows to get a person into the car they want.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
poor taste all the way around on his part. hopefully just a bad day...

is he now posting a post on a salesmen forum about what a hard driving clientele he has?

*note* made up number, but as an illustration %15 of people (i think it's way less) in any profession are excellent at what they do. even in highly trained fields, the same applies. that you get good service doesn't mean they are good. correlation does not mean causation. "it went good for me - they must be amazing" is not accurate.

it would be wise to write off the salesmen or dealership, not the 2013 Subaru.

that being said, he is "correct to an extent" (an extent that doesn't matter given his poor delivery!). the year to year changes aren't that big of a deal overall. but a salesmans job isn't to sell "buying philosophies" and to convince folks that are conditioned to buying new cars to see things differently. his job is to sell you a car you want! and the entire auto industry is built for that - it is one of change, innovation, competition, novelty, and one-up from year to year, if someone wants that, give it to them. that's like a dream sale is it not "I want the latest and greatest"?

what a cracksmoker.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r Limited - Deep Indigo Pearl
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I just expected better from the Sales Manager.

It makes all that warm fuzzy I had for them feel yucky. Naive, to say the least, I know it's a business, I get that. But at least fake it well enough to make me happy spending my money.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
I have honestly never met a car salesperson who knew more about their product than I did.

Makes me think they are "drones" but does not change my attitude towards the products themselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts