Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2017 Honda CRV Touring, 1991 Subaru Legacy L 4x4 Wagon
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not the most exciting car in this forum, but I bought a 21 Mazda CX-9 about a month ago and don't want my dogs getting the best of the Mazda's interior.
I found this in the local classifieds. For being 30 years old, this old wagon is pretty clean. Interior is perfect, maintenance is up to date, 187k. Runs and drives well for the age. Even has the factory am/fm radio/tape deck. The first owner owned it until last year, the guy I bought it from was a Subaru enthusiast but he sold it because was moving out of state and could only take one car with him. It passed emissions with flying colors, I could not believe the numbers. The car fax is clean and there is zero rust on this wagon.
My plans are to use it for errands and occasionally take it up the canyon for ski duties. I am still looking for a winter wheel/set but wheels are getting harder to find for these older model. I pulled off the cargo carrier because the wind noise is unbearable and
a ski rack is going up top in a couple months.
Have a great weekend!

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
You found a real gem!

·
Administrator
1,361 Posts
Row your own transmission?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I wish, just the auto but it shifts fine. I took it up to Snowbird(elevation 8000 feet) this morning and it had plenty of power to get up to the mountain. I'll probably change out the struts and brakes soon, just giving a shakedown for a couple hundred of miles to figure out what direction I will go. I may put on some Forester or Outback struts to get it off the ground.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
356 Posts
I bought a 21 Mazda CX-9 GT a few weeks ago and find myself choosing to the drive a 30 year old car. I might be weird.
Not at all!

I feel the same way, my outback is only 20 years old but I love driving it! I also have a 2014 dodge journey (family car) and I'd take the outback before the Journey lol

Nice find on the Legacy too! Looks real clean!! 👌

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update, those wheels in the first pictures are the wrong offset. They rub every time I hit a bump. I found these 15" wheels at a local wheel shop. They have been stripped of paint, and I am getting some winter tires installed on them today. I may plastic dip them or just spray a clear coat on them. I found struts for the front and will put those in over the next few days. Front brakes to follow. Still having a blast driving it around, getting around 20mpg in city driving with the a/c, so even after 30 years and 180k miles, doing pretty okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
356 Posts
Looks do good with factory subaru wheels on it now! The wheels look like they are in great condition too!

Really like this car!! (y):cool:

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
467 Posts
Wow, beautiful clean car!

Reactions: Buzz22

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just pulled the rain visors after I cracked them at the car wash. Probably will address the peeling paint on the upper window trim. Also installed an AEM dry panel filter, I had one in my 17 Mazda 3 and liked it. Used Meguiers ceramic wax and hit the old paint. Waiting on brake pads so new rotors and pads next week. Found some EBC pads for under $20 on Amazon, so why not. I drive a lot in the mountains so they should work well.
Have a fuel filter on order and lines to deal with gas fumes, looks like the PO installed a smaller fuel filter, I am sure the lines are cracked at the hose clamps. Front strut to follow but have to be really motivated to tackle that. Work in progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to finally address the pulsated brake pedal. It wasn't horrible but I will traveling up the mountain starting in November and really need good brakes. I bought some Bosch rotors from Amazon and found some EBC brakes on closeout for $20. As with pretty much any automotive work in my 30+ years, it will always take at least 2x longer than what I had planned for. I figured I could knock out both sides in an hour, I have done this countless times. Well, Amazon sent the wrong rotors and I didn't figure this out until I tried to get the brake bracket back on. Not really a big problem, the local parts store had the correct rotors.
The installation was simple, but the caliper pins were frozen and full of gunk and vanish build up. Probably explains why the rotors were blue from excessive heat. The previous owner, instead of cleaning and lubing up the brake pins, just replaced the brake pads. They were almost new. The joys of old cars.
Then after assembling everything, I go out in the neighborhood and thought I ran over a cat. Turns out i bumped the dust shield, so just a little adjustment, and voila, now I have brakes that don't shake every time I use the brakes.
Earlier today, finally took it out on the freeway here, it had no issues cruising at 70-80mph, no shaking, just smooth riding.
Still on the fence on whether or not to put Outback/Forester struts or just keep it the stock height. I actually like it low, it doesn't bottom out on speed bumps or curbs so I may just leave it alone. Not planning to take it off road, just getting through the snow at the parking lot at the mountain and around here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Woke up yesterday to a nice little puddle by my drivers side front wheel. I thought the worst, either I blew and caliper or brake line. Finally had time this morning to pull the tire off, turned out the banjo bolt going into the wheel caliper was loose. Tightend it up a bit and no more leaks, bled the brakes with a one man bleeder bottle, worked pretty okay. Brakes are still a little weak but there is a warning on the EBC installation that during break in(200 miles) that stopping distances will be increased.
I got my winter tire/wheel set for my Mazda CX-9 and Blizzaks WS90's for my wife's CRV today from TireRack.com. Two days earlier than promised. I ended up taking them to the storage unit since it's still at least a month early too install them. Had to make two trips but the Subaru swallowed 4 tires and 3 wheels/tires on the first trip.
The saga goes on.....

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
297 Posts
My first Subaru was the same generation Legacy Wagon. It was pretty dang nice! Got annoyed with changing the wheel bearings again and again, so I let it go. Even so, I swear that thing had just as much power as my current 3rd Gen Outback, despite this one supposedly having 40 more HP. I really liked that old car (not that my current outback is new by any means).

Good to see another Utahn here. I'll have to go up Little Cottonwood myself to do some donuts as well.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
467 Posts
None of my business really, but may I ask how much you paid for that beauty?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts