Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from amazon for 436$ it says its needs 14.4v to power it what kind of cables do i need for this(recommended brands) this is my first time hooking up a sound system to a car, and i bought the polk audio db651(60 rms) and db6501 (100 rms) a while back and they needs ampage big time it seems like, the amp it self is a 100rms x4 at 4ohm and 500rms x1 at 4ohms sub spot, i haven't bought the cables yet because i need to look into them more, i just been using my time to look into how amps work for he past 4 months now i got what i think is a good amp, now its the cables turn.... so anyone know of some good cables that can run from the head unit, up the head board(where i think i will install them) down where the last pillar goes(also where the antenna is, for the radio), and under the back trunk cover to install inside one of the dens, don't know how many feet or if this is a good install spot, but i do use back alot! and i will not like to take up that area and under the front seats seems to be a bad place for me as well, it is a really small amp so it should anywhere nicely just not thoughs areas lol:D

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also i am using the stock head unit i will need to upgrade this...wont i?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
You can use the OEM unit, with a Line Out Convertor. It will change the high level (speaker level) out of the radio and change it over to low level (RCA level) for the amp. Changing to an aftermarket radio makes this easier but it can be done. You will need two (one for fronts and one for rear) or a 4 channel LOC or you loose the ability to fade front to rear.

As for the cables, you can get a 4 AWG power and ground wires, one or two RCA's (you will need two for fade, as mentioned above) and the remote turn on wire. The kits usually include various connectors and a grommet for the wire to pass through the fire wall. I would stick with a kit from a reputable brand like Phoenix Gold, Stinger, Rockford Fosgate, or an online company like Knuconceptz. The install isn't that difficult, but you will end up taking apart a good portion of the interior as well as drilling a hole through the fire wall.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Depending on the installation, and the quality of the LOC, low level is better. Low level out of an aftermarket radio would be best, but some amplifiers will accept speaker level from the radio directly. Unfortunately yours isn't one of them. If you can afford it I would look into an aftermarket to get you low level as well as being able to keep the four way balance and fade as well as getting a separate sub level adjustment with certain H/U's.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOC? do you mind finding links on what a low and high level radio is? still kinda hard too follow you lol not so grate on this whole system thing :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Line Out Convertor (in post #3). To minimize the confusion lets answer one question: Do you want a new radio?

If yes, then don't worry about the LOC. The new radio will include RCA outputs that will send the signal to the amp. Get one with three sets of RCA's and you'll keep front to rear fade as well as getting a separate control of the volume for the 5th channel of the amp for the subwoofer.

If no, then you need to look at a LOC preferrebly a 4 channel verison so that you can keep the front to rear fade. A two channel will work but it will limit your ability to make adjustments. The LOC will wire into the factory speaker wiring, either at each speaker or behind the radio. The LOC converts the signal from speaker level to an RCA that the amp will accept.

In short you need RCA's going to the amp. How they get there depends on what you do in the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts