Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OBXT 5eat Navi in black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I should sign up and say hello, since I've landed on this site a bunch of times from Google already. :cool:

I just bought my first car, a 2008 OBXT 5eat with navigation in black.

I've only had it for a week, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It might be bad that I'm already starting my
PLANNED MODS LIST:

• Wheels & tires - soon, there's not much tread left on the tires that came with the car.
  • Tinted windows - I don't think I'll go super-dark, something like what came with my mom's '09 Forester would be nice.
  • Bluetooth phone - one of the kits from Parrot. The backlights of the climate control and audio displays flicker from time to time, like this thread. I figure while I have the radio out to redo the cold solder joints I might as well add Bluetooth integration.
  • Rear anti-sway bar - I was looking at the Rallitek ones, they seem to be highly regarded. Might do the front as well.
  • Cobb catted downpipe and accessport - as long as this would still pass emissions (which I'd think it would with the catted version)
  • Different blowoff valve for the turbo - I can't hear the turbo at all right now.
  • Mild catback exhaust - just enough to get a bit of the Boxer rumble.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
The MXM4's are a slightly more performance version. Slightly shorter treadlife, lower winter marks, better dry traction.

I really like mine. I have 225/60/16H on Kaylee, with about 24,000 miles at present. Wear is great, probably at 8/32's or so. Comfortable in dry, great in wet (if you actually drive like a non-idiot...but I haven't been able to hydroplane when trying), and acceptable for an all-season in winter conditions. Ice and slush are problems, but they are predictable when they loose grip.

However, my folks have an 06 OBXT and had them in 225/55/17V and got not quite 40k out of the set. Not sure if it was the different platform, driving conditions, speed rating or a combo of the above. That being said, they were replaced with the MXM4 as the MXV4 was out of stock when 1 tire got a sidewall cut.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT, DDM HID 5000K, K&N, Yokohama Avid TRZ, Curt Hitch, Subaru All Weather Mats, Sirius
68 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Should be a great car and is quite fun to drive.

Do you know what the mileage is and were you able to get any kind of extended warrenty?

The reason I ask is my '08 XT is in the shop for a sudden failure of the idler on the timing belt. It looks like a few more members may have had something similar.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...8-outback-xt-possible-timing-belt-issues.html

Good Luck!
It's at 48k miles, I have a year or 12k miles left on the powertrain warranty. I'll just make a note to have my trusty local mechanic replace the idler on the timing belt when he replaces the timing belt itself at 90k miles as scheduled. (Or would it be better to replace the timing belt and idler earlier - i.e. ~60k miles?)

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Earlier the better. I would never dare go 75k on a timing belt, but they shouldn't snap till 110k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Earlier the better. I would never dare go 75k on a timing belt, but they shouldn't snap till 110k.
I'll plan on replacing the timing belt/idler along with the other 60k mile maintenance stuff then - looks like that includes a coolant flush, brake fluid replacement, and new spark plugs, along with a bunch of stuff that says "inspect".

Is there anything that would make sense to replace along with the timing belt while it's all apart? I had seen mention of replacing the water pump at the same time, but 60k miles might be kinda early.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
If you're gonna replace the belt and idler/pulleys at 60k instead of the factory 105k, I'd wait and do the water pump at the 120k point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts