Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night the wife and I finally bought an '18 Outback Premium with all the bells and whistles. The buying experience was great however I do have some buyer's remorse over one part of the process. At the end of the sale, the finance manager gave us his speech on extended warranties. I've always been against extended warranties but he seemed to make a lot of good points and after we did some negotiating, I thought "why not" and we agreed to a 10 year, 100,000 warranty for $1,850 (the original price was $2,200), $100 deductible if I get it serviced anywhere other than the dealer, and with the the payments rolled into the 0% loan.

Now, after going home and doing some research, I'm wondering if we made a mistake. The 3rd party is Zurich and I've read good and bad things about them. Additionally, I've read on here that people have paid much less than what I paid for their extended warranties.

That being said, it looks like I can cancel it for a full refund up to 90 days after the purchase, so I just wanted to get your guys thoughts. It worth keeping?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
904 Posts
I'm not a fan of any warranty's, particularly 3rd party. The Subaru warranty can be purchased at any point before the 3/36 expires and I've seen some fairly cheap prices quoted around here. If this car turns out to be problematic and we plan to keep it, then I'll consider a warranty then. This will be driven 20k-25k miles a year so it won't be long before we have to make a decision.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m picking up my outback tomorrow. I signed all the papers yesterday and was given the same pitch for the Zurich plan. I declined and said I wanted the Subaru Gold Plus warranty, which I got. I don’t know anything about the Zurich plan but with the SOA plan you will get genuine Subaru parts, and the eyesight system will be covered, too. I’m sure others with more experience can give additionL details. I figure, why go third party when you can get it from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m picking up my outback tomorrow. I signed all the papers yesterday and was given the same pitch for the Zurich plan. I declined and said I wanted the Subaru Gold Plus warranty, which I got. I don’t know anything about the Zurich plan but with the SOA plan you will get genuine Subaru parts, and the eyesight system will be covered, too. I’m sure others with more experience can give additionL details. I figure, why go third party when you can get it from the manufacturer.
I naively believed that because the Subaru finance manager was offering it, it *was* through Subaru. I didn't see it was a Zurich warranty until today when I was looking at all the paperwork. The manager also never mentioned that it was through Zurich.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 3.6 Pearl
15 Posts
I purchased a 2002 Outback with the 100K Suby Gold Warranty...I think at the time it cost about $700. 97K Subaru replaced all FOUR struts on car. Expensive parts and labor. Would have cost me alot more to replace on my own.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,039 Posts
You simply cancel the extended warranty. It's your right and your money.

The only extended warranty worth having for your car is the factory one. Covered by any dealer nationwide.

Finance loves to push 3rd party stuff. Push back.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
6 Posts
Your bumper to bumper is 3 years/ 36,000 miles, and your powertrain is 5 years / 60,000 miles. Surely problems if any should crop up in that time for basic powertrain stuff. The electronics, like Eyesight, maybe not. I'll be looking at warranties in a couple years as I approach 36k

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited Eyesight 2001 Honda Cr-V 287k miles 1984 Mercedes 280SL red w/5 speed manual
19 Posts
Excellent advice here as I just got done reading a very long thread on the Gold Plus warranty. Bottom line is you have up to 36 months/36k miles to purchase it and most people prefer the 0$ deductible to the $100 deductible. Depending on the state you live in you might be able to purchase it from another Subie dealer out of state. The thread is like over 50 pages long but has a lot of great advice. But the bottom line is, yes, only get the Subie Gold Plus warranty.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,340 Posts
Cancel, cancel, cancel. Did I mention you should cancel it..................

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was just reading the fine print about cancellation and it says:

You may cancel you contract by providing written notice of cancellation to the seller or us. Your signed cancellation notice must specify your vehicle identification number (VIN), the reason for cancellation, effective date of cancellation and odometer reading on the cancellation effective date . . . We may only cancel you contract for fraud, material misrepresentations or for non-payment of the contract charge.
I guess I need to try for material misrepresentation. We'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 Si
7 Posts
As I read the last sentence of the fine print, those are the terms (inc. material misrepresentation) for which they as seller can cancel your contract, nor the other way around. It seems that you just write to cancel and provide the required info.

·
Registered
485 Posts

You may cancel you contract by providing written notice of cancellation to the seller or us. Your signed cancellation notice must specify your vehicle identification number (VIN), the reason for cancellation, effective date of cancellation and odometer reading on the cancellation effective date . . . We may only cancel you contract for fraud, material misrepresentations or for non-payment of the contract charge.
I don't expect the finance manager not allowing you out. They will not reinburse you but your finance company which will lower what you owe on loan . Do not except any other offer unless it is Subaru gold plan and you want it and it is priced correctly . If you search on this forum you will find exceptable prices much lower than what you paid ,for your poor quality policy. This is why dealership get bad names but some of this is your fault , by not doing your homework before you purchase you got taken advantage of. Please let us know how you make out and if not favorable please list name of dealer. As stated above you are allowed to buy at sometimes much better prices out of state if your state allows which most do. Best luck Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't expect the finance manager not allowing you out. They will not reinburse you but your finance company which will lower what you owe on loan . Do not except any other offer unless it is Subaru gold plan and you want it and it is priced correctly . If you search on this forum you will find exceptable prices much lower than what you paid ,for your poor quality policy. This is why dealership get bad names but some of this is your fault , by not doing your homework before you purchase you got taken advantage of. Please let us know how you make out and if not favorable please list name of dealer. As stated above you are allowed to buy at sometimes much better prices out of state if your state allows which most do. Best luck Doug
I don't hold this against the dealership at all. The finance guy was just doing his job and trying to make a commission. I went in fully expecting to "just say no" to any extended warranty offers so I didn't bother to research them at all. Still, that doesn't mean I can't reconsider my decision after the fact.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R + 2017 Outback 3.6R. Ice Silver & Ice Silver. Like the cold?
333 Posts
I naively believed that because the Subaru finance manager was offering it, it *was* through Subaru. I didn't see it was a Zurich warranty until today when I was looking at all the paperwork. The manager also never mentioned that it was through Zurich.
They always pull this and normally call it a "platinum" warranty. Cancel it.

You have a 3 year 36k mile limit to decide on a Subaru one and I have seen some out of state dealers offer 10 year 100k 0 ded for about $1,500 to 1,650.

I have also used the original factory warranty a lot... it covers a ton. Don't need anything else for now.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,551 Posts
They will not reimburse you but your finance company which will lower what you owe on loan.
I believe you're correct on this, and the way they will try to work it is to keep the same monthly payment and just retire the loan sooner. If you want it otherwise, you might need to refi it.

...... Your signed cancellation notice must specify ...... the reason for cancellation ......
Demanding that you list a reason is not very reasonable, unless they treat any response you make here as a valid reason. It would seem that putting down anything other than "I changed my mind" allows them to get a foot in the door to try to switch you to something else. I'd be cautious about what you say here.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium, Eyesight, Lapis Blue Pearl. 2015 Forester 2.5i Limited, Satin White Pearl
12 Posts
Cancel if you can and if you still want a warranty call Luke Corcione at Stamford Subaru. A few months ago we got an 80k 8 year 0 deductible for my wife’s 15 Forester with 32k miles for around 975. Can’t remember exact cost but that was the ballpark. Many on the Forum have gone to him. I’m not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer. Oh, that was the Subaru Gold warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Premium 2014 FXT
50 Posts
So last night the wife and I finally bought an '18 Outback Premium with all the bells and whistles. The buying experience was great however I do have some buyer's remorse over one part of the process. At the end of the sale, the finance manager gave us his speech on extended warranties. I've always been against extended warranties but he seemed to make a lot of good points and after we did some negotiating, I thought "why not" and we agreed to a 10 year, 100,000 warranty for $1,850 (the original price was $2,200), $100 deductible if I get it serviced anywhere other than the dealer, and with the the payments rolled into the 0% loan.

Now, after going home and doing some research, I'm wondering if we made a mistake. The 3rd party is Zurich and I've read good and bad things about them. Additionally, I've read on here that people have paid much less than what I paid for their extended warranties.

That being said, it looks like I can cancel it for a full refund up to 90 days after the purchase, so I just wanted to get your guys thoughts. It worth keeping?

Thanks!
Everyone here is telling you cancel it, but I have had an AMAZING experience with Zurich. No Joke. Bought my 2014 Forester XT from Grand Subaru in Chicago with a 5 year 100,000 mile plan for around $1000 extra. Here is the list of work that has been under the Zurich warranty (All Genuine Subaru Parts): Both wheel bearings, heater fan, both rear struts, front strut mounts, and all the bushings for the front sway and control arms. Literally saved me $1000's! (and it's lowered on RSR springs).

The 2016 Outback has a 5 year 70,000 mile plan that I will take advantage of after the factory warranty is up. I really think it is all about the dealer you are working with. My service writer has been amazing. Maybe I just got lucky?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts