Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just purchased a 2001 H6 LL Bean edition. I'm extremely excited as this is the best car I've ever owned and I feel lucky that I found one in such good condition--despite having to pay a little more than I wanted. It was $6500 + taxes--but again, the condition is excellent. It has a 107k miles.

I have a couple questions:

How do you feel about the deal I got? (I need reassurance ;)).

Any recommendations as to modifications or things I should look out for?

And, finally: I like the maroon color, but not the silver bottom half. I'm thinking that spray painting it black (I'm cheap) would look gnarly. Any suggestions for performing this modification? Am I crazy for wanting to do this?!

Here's a pic of the car:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
The gold (not silver) is pretty classic for this car, but to each their own.

You could maybe look into using PlastiDip. If you don't like it, it peels right off. If you don't do something with the wheels, they'll stick out like a sore thumb against a different lower cladding color.

Check out http://www.dipyourcar.com for some options available.

Honestly and personally, I don't think black would look good with that color. But, that's just my opinion.

As for the price, that seems like a pretty fair price to me. Check with a Subaru dealer to make sure any recall work was done. My '01 VDC had one for rear subframe rust and a cruise control cable clip. The only other warranty work done was for a headlight bulb.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
There's one in that exact color for sale in the classifieds right now that has had that treatment (black spray-bombed lowers).

IMHO it looks like crap. Your car tho, tie-dye it if you want.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/48037-2001-legacy-outback-rebuilt-motor.html

Price sounds pretty good for a low mile 'beaner. I have an '01 with 122k on it I'm going through, I'll probably ask about $7500 for it when I'm done (new tires, brakes, axles, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack boots, and timing chain guides. .. New york is hard on cars).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's one in that exact color for sale in the classifieds right now that has had that treatment (black spray-bombed lowers).

Yikes! That does not look as good as it did in my head. Thanks for finding that.

RedGemini--Thanks for the suggestions, I'll def look into that website. I'm now trying to think of other colors that would work with the maroon. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'd think silver or gold are about the only colors that would compliment that color.

Here's an idea:

Instead of thinking of a quick and cheap hack job, save up some money to have it professionally painted to match the main color. If you remove all of the panels and bumper covers yourself, I'm sure it would really bring down the price for the paint shop. It would look great in monotone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DipYourCar has a gunmetal gray variety. I think if I did the wheels and bottom half that color it wouldn't be obnoxious I might even look cool

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
coupla things to watch for;

serpentine belt idler and tensioner pulley bearings fail a lot.

o-ring and/or hose from adaptor on top of power steering pump allows air to get sucked in causing noise/weirdness with steering.

shocks/struts don't seem to last long, pull up boots and feel for oil on top of cylinders.

right side axle boot splits and sprays grease on exhaust.

as for mods, search for the system you wanna know about, headlights or windshield washer or suspension, w'ever.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I vote for doing it body color. That really updates the look and the wheels would still look nice. I think the 2004 (at least the black ones) had matching and they look great. A pro job would be much more durable also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would paint it Maroon if any color you are going to paint the bottom. Black will throw the gold rim inlay off and look tacky in my opinion. Thats not a bad deal for an h6 with low mileage. I have an Outback limited in this same color. Tinting the windows is one thing I would recommend, it helps protect the leather and I think makes it look pretty BA wish ours was darker though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im with you, I hate the champane gold 2 tone and even the gold trim, and the painted rims. Great cars but poor choice in color options. I painted an old chevy with bed liner once, pretty awesome for an off road vehicle. Covered up alot miss matched paint. I was sideswiped by a caddy avoiding a wreck, his paint was rubbed all over my truck, water hose and a little scrubbing and mine was good as new. However that wouldn't look good on an obw. seen a couple of faux stone "fleck" vw around here, looks neat on the old stuff, worth a shot on a true beater, but your car is in excellent shape, and paint and body the 2 most difficult and expensive things for we amatuers.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
I am still liking the KYB GR2 (or excel G - i think there has been a name change by KYB recently, same product) that I installed on my wife's 03. And from reading, KYB is by far the most widely used replacement struts. Some say they are stiffer than stock but, realize you are riding on worn struts NOW so, any new struts would feel stiffer. i dunno how how new OEM would compare to new KYB. (Plus, KYB evidently makes the OEM units - though it could be a different spec than the replacements are built to.) Car feels more 'planted' and predictable with new struts. If a shop does this for you or if you DIY , inspect axle boots, steering boots, bushings, etc. If you find other problems, some labor may overlap on changing those parts.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/48037-2001-legacy-outback-rebuilt-motor.html

Price sounds pretty good for a low mile 'beaner. I have an '01 with 122k on it I'm going through, I'll probably ask about $7500 for it when I'm done (new tires, brakes, axles, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack boots, and timing chain guides. .. New york is hard on cars).
Thanks for that Med. You are a winner in finding the most obnoxious paint job ever. He really painted overt the emblem? Why?

Wait, there is this one, scroll down, you'll see it:

club.liberty.asn.au • View topic - (SYDNEY) Spotted? WHITE & PINK TWO TONE

And KYB is the way to go unless you want a high performance shock application. I have them on the VDC and handling is great. The one's on my Chevy have over 100k miles and still rides like I put them on yesterday.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
Thanks for the info....I def need to change these wasted OEMs out....feels like Im on a boat sometimes :28:

I have already done the front axles and everything else, other than bushings, is in pretty good shape.

Check RockAuto for struts. Also, Amamzon's 'partner' (can't remeber the name but I think it has 'suspension' in the name) for strut prices.

Be sure to move your bump-stop and boots over. If your boots are bad and/or if you feel the mounts on top are suspect - buy those too.

don't over torque the mount nuts - they are like 15 ftlbs only!

search for strut replacement threads - they helped me a lot - if DIY.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'd think silver or gold are about the only colors that would compliment that color.

Here's an idea:

Instead of thinking of a quick and cheap hack job, save up some money to have it professionally painted to match the main color. If you remove all of the panels and bumper covers yourself, I'm sure it would really bring down the price for the paint shop. It would look great in monotone.
I agree. My 2004 is all-silver (they also made some all-black ones), and it's a bit of a rare bird because of that. I'm sure monotone would look good with other colors too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I've sort of adjusted to the maroon and gold. It doesn't seem worth the work to do a rubber peel off paint job for it to end up probably not looking that good or lasting very long.

Maybe one day if I can spare the cash I'll have her professionally painted all black.
I've been loving the car, though!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you should 'murder' it out. tint, flat black, ect. Be a mean looking wagon.

I have the sedan with the same paint job (maroon/gold)...been mulling about going maroon all over and getting different wheels. But that's down my list of things to do. Scoured the interwebz for pics of monotone '01s but haven't come across any good ones yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
contrail_25
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing