Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. When I turn on the lights, why are the light controls to the left of the steering not illuminated (backlit) while the other controls are?

Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bee...cuz?

I've never seen an illuminated headlight/turn signal or windshield wiper stalk. I imagine the designers and engineers thought it would be about as pointless as I do.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Because the "lamp-technology" has not yet caught up with the combination "smart-switch" technology.

I remember I had a high-end Ford car that was like that.:mad:

Everything was illuminated and the lower-left section of the driver's dash was kind of put together like an afterthought, in the dark, you could not see where the wiper and headlamp switches were, unless you turned on the interior lights.:confused:

And, in ORDER TO TURN ON THE INTERIOR LIGHTS you had to either open the door or turn on one of the switches that WASN'T ILLUMINATED!

:confused:That one got a DOUBLE-DUH!:gasp:

I thought that was kind of strange for a car I paid a lot of money on in the early 90's.:28:
I paid TOO MUCH, for how many problems I had with that car!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bee...cuz?

I've never seen an illuminated headlight/turn signal or windshield wiper stalk. I imagine the designers and engineers thought it would be about as pointless as I do.
Well, a couple of weeks back, I was driving my Outback, and I wanted to turn on the head lights. This car being 2 weeks old then, I was still not familiar with all the knobs..
There is a sensor which detects the amount of light and turns on/off the head lights. The same sensor could be used to illuminate/not-illuminate the headlight stalk.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Well, a couple of weeks back, I was driving my Outback, and I wanted to turn on the head lights. This car being 2 weeks old then, I was still not familiar with all the knobs..
There is a sensor which detects the amount of light and turns on/off the head lights. The same sensor could be used to illuminate/not-illuminate the headlight stalk.

Thanks.
Actually auto makers fight the cabin lighting game all the time. It works like this marketing team says hey lets put lights on this - that - this thing under here - that thing over there we can get some great magazine shots and sell lots of cars.

The budget guys all face palm exactly at the same time

The actual drivers and designers all wonder how many lit objects you need before you impact night vision for your average driver.

In the end the budget guys win - with the designers backing them up with the whole concept about interior lighting posing a serious problem for night time vision outside the car.

I race sailboats on the ocean and till you do that - you never grasp how much even just a small light can ruin your night vision. That rookie who thought the million candle powered head lamp was an awesome idea usually finds that his head lamp has gone missing after the first time he blinds the driver and everyone else on the boat with it. LOL Little boaters trick if you ever end up on a boat with running lights on and you have light being leaked or reflected back at the helm from the running lights you know that the owner of the boat never sails in the dark - so it would be wise to get home and not mess around. Also well built quality designed boats are set up from day one to avoid leaking or reflecting running lights back at the helm so if its really bad your on a pretty cheap ass boat. LOL

The concept of a signal lever on the left side of the steering column has been around for decades. The idea that it might have twisty bits on it has been around since the late 70's. Why on earth would a auto maker light them up?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm talking about this lever.. It would have been good if this is illuminated as well.
While there may be cars on the market with an illuminated stalk, I have never personally seen one.

I am curious, ob buyer, about whether your previous cars had this feature.

:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While there may be cars on the market with an illuminated stalk, I have never personally seen one.

I am curious, ob buyer, about whether your previous cars had this feature.

:confused:
Sorry, I missed the question here.
No, none of my previous cars had an illiminated stalk. As my post title says, I was just curious. It would have been good if it was attached to the daylight senson, and turns on automatically..
It is nothing to crib about though.. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm with you Subiesailor. Not only do I sail quite a bit, I have also spent years driving ships at sea. Light at night bothers me. Around town not much but in dark areas like back roads or empty highways I also turn my instrument cluster down to where I can just see it. Just more comfortable that way. I have never seen an illuminated stalk but my guess is I would want to pull the bulbs out of it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If you need the wiper or signal/light stalks lit, you have failed to accomplish one VERY important part of operating a vehicle: Familiarize yourself with all controls, lights, switches, and features of the vehicle you're operating.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I was blessed by a power outage the day after I got my OB due to the effects of hurricane Irene so I was able to read the important parts of my owner's manual immediately...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm with you Subiesailor. Not only do I sail quite a bit, I have also spent years driving ships at sea. Light at night bothers me. Around town not much but in dark areas like back roads or empty highways I also turn my instrument cluster down to where I can just see it. Just more comfortable that way. I have never seen an illuminated stalk but my guess is I would want to pull the bulbs out of it.
As I do amateur astronomy, I'm of the same mind as well. The fewer lights you have, the better your night vision, and the better your night vision, the less you need the lights in the first place. The harsh lighting isn't just in cars, my apartment complex uses harsh lighting at night in the name of security, but it destroys any night vision and creates shadows for folks to hide in. In a lot of ways, we have "common sense" when it comes to lighting that isn't actually all that helpful or even correct.

****, I had to custom order just to get an OB without puddle lights, and I had to replace the door lights with red LEDs to dim them and make sure night vision is less affected when I am out at night. I have a second set of even dimmer bulbs in case these turn out to be too bright. If the console wasn't already lit in red on my 2013, I'd be swapping out what bulbs I could as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Kolenka
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing