Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be driving 9 hours next week to the. Mountains and I want to take the new to me subaru rather than my wife's pilot with 210,000 miles on it already. I already have a Thule box to put on top but with the wife two kids and my 100 lb Chesapeake bay retriever space gets eaten up quick. Dog will go in way back and I am planning to put a hitch with a platform on the back to put the cooler and a largish Rubbermaid bin on. Is anyone else using both a cargo box and and cargo platform on the back. Should I be concerned about overloading the car by doing this? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I personally would be concerned. When I needed to lug that much stuff on a regular basis I always had something a bit bigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps I should clarify. I have myself at 180, the wife at 130 and two kids that probably weigh 100 combined, plus the pup in the back. I would probably be adding 100 lbs on top and maybe another 100-150 on the back. As I do the math I don't see a problem, but wanted to see if anyone else does this and what Is the official weight rating? The stuff isn't as heavy as it is space consuming. Thanks again

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
. the tongue weight on any subaru is 200# and the hitch plates them selves weigh about 50-75.

buy your drinks and ice local to where you camp.
this keeps the weight down of the things going on the hitch plate while you are cruising to the campsite at speed.

and if you have not bought a hitch yet,...a 2" reciever is nicer then the little 1.x" sizes subaru thinks..
\..as lots of things that go in a hitch are nicer if they are 2"

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I'd break it in 1st...

But it's a brake new world. I guess it's no different than Uber-ing around 3 fat guys all day log. Have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts