Subaru Outback Forums banner

Just got the call - head gasket leak...

11059 41
I know there is a ton of info on here and I love it, just looking for some feedback because I am a complete car repair novice.

2005 Subie Outback 2.5i Limited, loved and maintained since the day I brought it home (new). 84,500 miles, in the shop today for rear brake pads and the oil leak that I've had for the last two months. Two months ago, they said it was a coolant leak and replaced a radiator hose. Still leaking, slow, but steady, seems like oil to me but they are still saying it's coolant.

They just called and said it's the cylinder head gasket - $1,950.00. I don't have that money right now, not even close. Do I have any options? I really was hoping to keep my Subie running for quite a while longer...
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,519 Posts
You can usually nurse it along with those SOHC engines. You will need to check oil and coolant frequently, and keep an eye on the temp gauge. Pull over if it goes above middle. Many people have kept operating in that mode for months or years. Not all that good or fun, but it buys you time.

If you let it overheat, things go south pretty fast and $1950 will be a cheap memory.

Get Subaru of America involved, there are many cases where they've agreed to pick up part of the cost.

· Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,519 Posts
Your timing belt will be due for replacement before the end of 2013 anyway, and you need to do a timing belt's worth of work to replace the water pump in these cars. I say do the whole thing, let them help, and enjoy your car for another 100k or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.