Subaru Outback Forums banner

My car had the Shaker TSB done and the results are...

• TSB done and the shaking is completely gone 100% satisfied

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • TSB done and the shaking is reduced not completely satisfied

Votes: 50 51.0%
  • TSB done and the shaking is the same or worse

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • TSB done and a new problem is manifesting

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2010 cvt 2.5 white
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE ALSO ADD YOURSELF TO THE DEFECTIVE VIN "LIST" AT THIS THREAD
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/108-steering-wheel-shake-issues/27085-tsb-fixed-cars-still-shake-i-need-vin-numbers.html

I am scheduled for the fix this Friday morning. I see some here have had the TSB done already. I wanted to create a poll so we can see how many are completed and how many of those had positive or negative results.

On edit..........

My TSB is done and the vibration remains. I have voted. Bummer! The slow pulsing remains as well. Now what? On the short test drive I noticed the vibration comes and goes so now its intermittent. I felt the vibration come and go as I entered the 72-78mph range. Sometimes I would feel the vibration while other times I would not. I would say it was 50/50 as to whether it manifested the vibration. The vibration also seemed dependent on coasting, hills, accelerating and decelerating. I noticed as my car was entering a small rise on the freeway the shaking began and as I went down the rise it stopped. So it seemed to begin shaking as the CC gave the car throttle and then stopped when the CC let off the throttle.

On a side note the work order stated the Kit was installed but does not mention the car is fixed or vibration free anywhere on the document. SOA engineers left and refused to ride-a-long with me. Everyone at the dealer refused to test drive and ride along with me. Dealer refused to give the the car until after they closed shop. I stood in the driveway waiting for 2.5+ hours while they held my paperwork and keys in a back office.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,448 Posts
I am scheduled for the fix this Friday morning. I see some here have got the TSB done already. I wanted to create a poll so we can see how many are completed and how many of those had positive or negative results.
This, I believe, will yield the most interesting results of any of the polls on this forum. It will either make or break this whole shimmy/shake issue for us as owners....and I guess for Subaru too.

I called my service manager about this TSB...he told me they had heard nothing about it. I emailed a copy to them, then called SCI to get this hurried along. I want this done ASAP because if it does not solve the problem then there are going to be some decisions that have to be made...:28:

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,161 Posts
I shall sticky this thread for awhile.

·
Registered
Jetta 2009 TDI
31 Posts
It would be nice if you voted, please put some information on what you experience(d). We would all love to see some detail.

·
Registered
2010 cvt 2.5 white
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shall sticky this thread for awhile.
Hmmm

Something I forgot to add I think. Can we add one more poll line that says "I just want to see the poll"

·
Registered
2010 cvt 2.5 white
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or people can just click on "view poll results"....
Yeah I just clicked that and now I am excluded from voting. I will have to have a mod vote for me when my TSB is done.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Prem
15 Posts
First reported my shimmy in may... they balanced, then RFB, then replaced two tires, and i just got the TSB done last thursday. Handling is better, steering wheel is slightly easier to turn, and vibration is dampened on rougher highways, but the shimmy remains on smooth highways around 70 mph. Having their ultimate "Fix" not correct the problem is quite unnerving!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,448 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Ltd. Ruby Red/Sun Roof/Prot.Pkg #01/Trailer Hitch/BS Moldings/Pinstripe
84 Posts
Help-shakes

Hello,

I hope you can tell me where I can find this TSB to help solve the shakes. I take it that means Technical Service Bulletin. I have a 2011, Subaru Outback 3.6R

I just got my car in and went to pick it up this morning. It had the shakes and it was more noticeable between 65-70 mph. Althought the car seemed to ride smooth, the steering wheel kept vibrating. When I first ordered the vehicle, I knew it could possibly have the shakes before it came in as I had been reading on this forum:mad:. I was praying to the heavens mine wouldn't be one of them. But, because my luck stinks, I have a car with the shakes. When I ordered the car, I told the dealership if it had the shakes I was going to refuse it. Now, I'm sitting here wondering what to do. If none of the fixes work, why bother even taking the car. I haven't signed the contract yet and am scared as to what to do.

This all sucks.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,509 Posts
Hello,

I hope you can tell me where I can find this TSB to help solve the shakes. I take it that means Technical Service Bulletin. I have a 2011, Subaru Outback 3.6R

I just got my car in and went to pick it up this morning. It had the shakes and it was more noticeable between 65-70 mph. Althought the car seemed to ride smooth, the steering wheel kept vibrating. When I first ordered the vehicle, I knew it could possibly have the shakes before it came in as I had been reading on this forum:mad:. I was praying to the heavens mine wouldn't be one of them. But, because my luck stinks, I have a car with the shakes. When I ordered the car, I told the dealership if it had the shakes I was going to refuse it. Now, I'm sitting here wondering what to do. If none of the fixes work, why bother even taking the car. I haven't signed the contract yet and am scared as to what to do.
This all sucks.
If it were me, I would refuse delivery but give them one shot at fixing it before walking away altogether. It's possible that it is just a balance problem and not the dredded shakes.

The service department should be able to lookup the TSB very easily. If they say they can’t then they are playing games with you and I’d advise you to run away as fast as you can.
If you don’t have your dealer aggressively backing you up, there is virtually no chance of getting satisfaction. I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
Shopping for 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd
27 Posts
I hope you can tell me where I can find this TSB to help solve the shakes. I take it that means Technical Service Bulletin.
The TSB's are here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/108-steering-wheel-shake-issues/20843-slight-steering-wheel-shake-288.html#post256310

When I ordered the car, I told the dealership if it had the shakes I was going to refuse it. Now, I'm sitting here wondering what to do. .
If it were me, I would not accept that vehicle. I think you had the right answer when you first told the saleman what you would do. Stick to your instinct. From this forum, it seems that not all Outback's are shakers. In fact, it may be that the majority are not. Why take one you know is when the solution is still a mystery. In fact, I intend to wait this entire issue out to see if they resolve it, otherwise I will pass on an Outback entirely.

·
Registered
Shopping for 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd
27 Posts
From those folks who have had the TSB performed, I would be interested to hear more about in what way the shake was reduced (since half or more have so far voted as such). Is it simply the intensity of the shake that is reduced, or does it appear only at different speeds after the TSB?

It seems that various people have reported this problem at speeds over 65, 70, 75 mph. 65-70 would be a major problem to me if I had a shaker, but I almost never go over 70. So if the problem were reduced to only appear at speeds over 70, I might not care so much if the car is good in all other respects as most seem to agree. (I don't even know where there is a road with a speed limit over 65!)

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Ltd. Ruby Red/Sun Roof/Prot.Pkg #01/Trailer Hitch/BS Moldings/Pinstripe
84 Posts
The TSB's are here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/108-steering-wheel-shake-issues/20843-slight-steering-wheel-shake-288.html#post256310

If it were me, I would not accept that vehicle. I think you had the right answer when you first told the saleman what you would do. Stick to your instinct. From this forum, it seems that not all Outback's are shakers. In fact, it may be that the majority are not. Why take one you know is when the solution is still a mystery. In fact, I intend to wait this entire issue out to see if they resolve it, otherwise I will pass on an Outback entirely.

Thanks. I am so sick over this. I even called Subaru Customer Support and their support is worse than having a Jock Strap. They see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil, if you know what I mean. What are they there for if they know absolutely nothing. All I can say is STUPID is as STUPID does. If they have no clue as to what is going on, then they need to get rid of customer service, or whatever that is. You can tell I'm really upset over this.

I used to sell new cars and lease cars, all makes and models. I never had a problem like this. Never a steering wheel vibration like this. And, when the service mgr. was riding with me, he saw the wheel shake. He said it was probably the road, which was a bunch of bull. He did take the car out before I even got there and should have addressed or taken care of the issue before I even took it for a test run myself.

I'm totally ticked at this point. Has anyone refused their new car and ordered another one with success???? I don't want to get this car and go through the Lemon Law process.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,128 Posts
Hello,

This all sucks.
If your car has the shakes, walk away. There is nothing they are going to do to fix it at this point, only dampen it out with a heavier steering wheel and steering damper and tell you the rest is acceptable road feel. They may even get it to the point where you accept it but I am willing to bet you will never be totally happy with it till the day you sell it. If you can afford to wait, wait it out until a real fix is found. Otherwise get something else.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,509 Posts
If your car has the shakes, walk away. There is nothing they are going to do to fix it at this point, only dampen it out with a heavier steering wheel and steering damper and tell you the rest is acceptable road feel. They may even get it to the point where you accept it but I am willing to bet you will never be totally happy with it till the day you sell it. If you can afford to wait, wait it out until a real fix is found. Otherwise get something else.
If you can’t wait and really need a car, tell them to give you a loaner while they find you a car that meets your specifications and doesn’t shake.

·
Registered
2010 cvt 2.5 white
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Walk away

They have tried to fix mine twice and cant. Now they are claiming it IS fixed even though its not.

hello,

i hope you can tell me where i can find this tsb to help solve the shakes. I take it that means technical service bulletin. I have a 2011, subaru outback 3.6r

i just got my car in and went to pick it up this morning. It had the shakes and it was more noticeable between 65-70 mph. Althought the car seemed to ride smooth, the steering wheel kept vibrating. When i first ordered the vehicle, i knew it could possibly have the shakes before it came in as i had been reading on this forum:mad:. I was praying to the heavens mine wouldn't be one of them. But, because my luck stinks, i have a car with the shakes. When i ordered the car, i told the dealership if it had the shakes i was going to refuse it. Now, i'm sitting here wondering what to do. If none of the fixes work, why bother even taking the car. I haven't signed the contract yet and am scared as to what to do.

This all sucks.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts