Subaru Outback Forums banner

My car had the Shaker TSB done and the results are...

• TSB done and the shaking is completely gone 100% satisfied

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • TSB done and the shaking is reduced not completely satisfied

Votes: 50 51.0%
  • TSB done and the shaking is the same or worse

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • TSB done and a new problem is manifesting

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback Base Model 6MT, cypress green.
6 Posts
My outback is finally fixed

After 6 or 8 trips to the dealer and way too many "road force balances" done, they finally installed the kit and the car is good now, i even rotated the tires and its still good, it changes a little bit with 2 certain tires on front,but is alright.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
Thought it was all good, then I had the tires rotated at my last oil change. Slight vibration came back, but after 1000 miles seems to be subsiding again. How bizarre. The fact that this is even an issue on a nearly brand new car just seems wrong. Sadly I think my second Subaru will be my last. Spending entirely too much time being annoyed by my car.

·
Registered
10' Outback Limited 3.6R Loaded with everything but Nav and Sun roof
6 Posts
Uh oh...

Hey all -

My GF and I bought a used 10' 3.6 Lmtd a few weeks ago and have just started to notice what I assume to be the shake everyone is describing. Ours however is more evident right around 40mph... Could this be the same thing or something else. The GF says she has felt it at 60 mph as well.

Im planning on making an appt with local dealer this Monday. The issue, I did not buy this vehicle locally, the dealer I purchased it from is over 500 miles away. So Im hoping that not having a relationship with the local dealer will not prove problematic when it comes to gettting this resolved.

My question... Do I insist that they perform work stated in all TSB's or just the most current? Truthfully, not really sure how this works... Ive never encountered an issue on a new"er" vehicle that a dealer didnt have a solution for.

This is our first OB and so far we are super pleased and satisfied with the overall Subaru experience. I hope the near future and soon to be service will keep us on our Subaru high horse.

Any and all advise on how to tackle this with the dealer in a is appreciated.

Brooks

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT Ruby Red Pearl
413 Posts
Hey all -

My GF and I bought a used 10' 3.6 Lmtd a few weeks ago and have just started to notice what I assume to be the shake everyone is describing. Ours however is more evident right around 40mph... Could this be the same thing or something else. The GF says she has felt it at 60 mph as well.

Im planning on making an appt with local dealer this Monday. The issue, I did not buy this vehicle locally, the dealer I purchased it from is over 500 miles away. So Im hoping that not having a relationship with the local dealer will not prove problematic when it comes to gettting this resolved.

My question... Do I insist that they perform work stated in all TSB's or just the most current? Truthfully, not really sure how this works... Ive never encountered an issue on a new"er" vehicle that a dealer didnt have a solution for.

This is our first OB and so far we are super pleased and satisfied with the overall Subaru experience. I hope the near future and soon to be service will keep us on our Subaru high horse.

Any and all advise on how to tackle this with the dealer in a is appreciated.

Brooks
Start with proper tire pressure. Drive it down the highway for 2 hours to get the flat spots off the tires from sitting on the lot.

If the problem goes away, you don't have a shaker and you don't need the dealer to look at it.

If the problem is still there, it still might not be a shaker. Your tires might need to be road force balanced or a rim replaced.

I hate to say it, but unless the dealer you bought it from gave you a 90 day warranty or something similar on your used car, you might be SOL if you have a real shaker.

Again, start with the easy stuff. That solves most "shaking" issues people encounter. Don't start a war you don't have to.

Andrew

·
Registered
10' Outback Limited 3.6R Loaded with everything but Nav and Sun roof
6 Posts
Start with proper tire pressure. Drive it down the highway for 2 hours to get the flat spots off the tires from sitting on the lot.

If the problem is still there, it still might not be a shaker. Your tires might need to be road force balanced or a rim replaced.

I hate to say it, but unless the dealer you bought it from gave you a 90 day warranty or something similar on your used car, you might be SOL if you have a real shaker.
Thanks-

I bought the car in another state and drove home, close to 500 miles. So, I would rule out flat spots. We just started to notice the issue with close to 1000 miles clocked on the OD.

What is "road force balance" and why would i have a bad rim...

My vehicle is certified... Hence, covered;)

Brooks

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT Ruby Red Pearl
413 Posts
Thanks-

I bought the car in another state and drove home, close to 500 miles. So, I would rule out flat spots. We just started to notice the issue with close to 1000 miles clocked on the OD.

What is "road force balance" and why would i have a bad rim...

My vehicle is certified... Hence, covered;)

Brooks
I'm glad your warranty will cover the work. That's a big deal. They'll take care of you and, if they don't, open a case with SOA. Some have suggested starting the case with SOA first thing to ensure the dealer stays in line and on track through the process.

Road force balance or RFB is where they put the tire and wheel on a machine and apply a roller to the tire surface with pressure roughly equal to what it would be if it were on your vehicle and rolling down the road. It can expose subtle balance issues that don't show up with just a simple balance job where it spins, but no force is applied to the tire. These can be things like tread/sidewall imperfections, wheel manufacturing flaws, and etc.

The dealer will start you out with a RFB to see if the trouble goes away. Then they move on to more complex things like replacing tires/wheels. If they still can't solve it, they'll move on to installing a "kit" that replaces some steering and suspension components.

That said, I would have thought you would have noticed a shaker at some point during your 500 mile drive from the dealer. If it only shows up at 40 and 60 MPH and you did 75 MPH for most of the trip, that could be one explanation.

There are other explanations for having a shaker, but if you're covered under warranty, I'd just make it the dealer's problem and let them figure it out. I would suggest having a tech ride with you until you can get him to notice what you're feeling. That will avoid the "We didn't notice anything" response some have gotten from their dealer.

Andrew

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
186 Posts
The shakes on our 2011 were getting quite bad. Took it in a few weeks ago, and they did the RFB only. That fixed the steering wheel shimmy... but in the past week or so we now have an intermittent vibe coming from the passenger side (feels like a traditional out-of-balance wheel... except that it's intermittent).

Problem: The TSB makes a big to-do out of having the OEM tires on it. Except... the OEM tires aren't great. They're really squishy, and they get pretty iffy on wet roads when nearing end-of-life. At 30k miles, ours are starting to slide around on wet roads, and they aren't gonna make it through the 8-9" snows we get at our house. I'm getting Yoko Geolandars put on this weekend. Of course, I am paying Discount Tire to do the RFB (I've had that done to all my new tires since 2003, makes a big difference).

Sooooo.... Will they skip over the road-force balancing if it still vibes and just do the steering hardware install? Or are they going to make a stink over the non-OE tires? We live in the sticks, miles from pavement, and I really want something with gnarlier tread than the OE Contis (especially as winter hits). I'd also like a car that doesn't vibe like a coin-op Vegas motel bed.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium, 2.5, All Weather, Moonroof, black
1 Posts
TSB performed-geometry of tilt wheel has changed

I had the TSB service performed on my 2011 Outback, and while the vibrations and shaking are much reduced I still have some vibration in the wheel. The most disturbing outcome is that the tilt wheel does not have the same travel and therefore does not go as high as it once did. I am 6'6", and now I can not see the top of the guages in the dashboard. I told my dealer that this was an unacceptable outcome given the amount of driving that I do (35,000/yr). They are checking with SOA to see if this is a normal outcome and they will see what they can do for me. My dealer has been wonderful through this and they have not put me off nor given me any hassle whatsover. I will wait and see what SOA has to say about this. Anyone else have the same outcome after the repair?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the thread and wanted to add my shake problem too. I have a severe intermitant shake at all different speeds. It usually happens at a point when it would shift. If you have ever had a trans slip as shifting, that is what it feels like. It's not just in the steering wheel....it shakes the whole car. If accelerator is left at same level, it will go away in 2-7 seconds. Otherwise, if i let up or give more pedal, it goes away. It have occured as low as 20 mph and as high as 80 when going up a rise in the road. It started after 1k mls, tire rotation helped for about 200 mls, it doesn't happen enough for dealer to get good feel. 14k on car and will have dealer force balance next week. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
I'm new to the thread and wanted to add my shake problem too. I have a severe intermitant shake at all different speeds. It usually happens at a point when it would shift. If you have ever had a trans slip as shifting, that is what it feels like. It's not just in the steering wheel....it shakes the whole car. If accelerator is left at same level, it will go away in 2-7 seconds. Otherwise, if i let up or give more pedal, it goes away. It have occured as low as 20 mph and as high as 80 when going up a rise in the road. It started after 1k mls, tire rotation helped for about 200 mls, it doesn't happen enough for dealer to get good feel. 14k on car and will have dealer force balance next week. Any thoughts?
Since it is happening at speeds between 20 and 80 mph, my guess it is transmission related and not a balance or suspension problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the TSB performed on my car about 5000 miles ago. The shaking problem was fixed, but now I'm sad to say that it has come back. Although it's not as severe as before the TSB, the steering wheel does have very noticeable vibration at 70-75 MPH. I'm going to have them take a look at it again when I take the car in for an oil change.

One other thing I've noticed was when I'm going about 60-65 downhill and brake, there is a lot of shaking going on. Really, really sucks. This is a great car and it's a shame they dropped the ball on this.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5 Wilderness Green
150 Posts
Before jumping to conclusions, have you at least checked to see if the lug nuts are tight on all the wheels?

·
Registered
2012 Ruby Red Outback 3.6 LTD, Nav, BT, iPod/iPhone interface, Sat Radio, etc...thinking of adding the kitchen sink ;)
42 Posts
I borrowed a 2011 Outback 2.5 this summer while my Tribeca was in the shop. It had a very distinct vibration at higher speeds. I took it to Discount Tire and had them balance all 4 tires, but it didn't help much. When I returned the car to the dealer, they told me they had several sets of tires replaced on the '11 OB's because of defects, and that seemed to fix the problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Well here goes my sad story.

Long story short, the car was in a the dealer for a few weeks for them to work on it. They gave me a G6 to use in the mean time. When they finally told me it was done, I went in, and they explained that they 'got it as good as they can get it.. at this time'.. and told me maybe in the future they will be able to get it better, when GM gives them a better answer as to what to do to fix the problem. So, they said they wanted to hear form me how it is. So I took the car, drove it for a bit, but, the steering was soooo stiff, it felt like there was no power steering even in the car. I had to turn the steering wheel back straight after making a turn, and it was not fun to drive at all anymore. They changed the alignement , and adjusted it so there was little to no road feel was their fix. So I took it back, said it was undriveable. They gave me a G5, I went home. Next day they said they made it better for tightness, so I went back to get it.. again (FYI, at this point I've had the car in probably 15 + times in the past year for this). I took it for a test drive, and now the steering wheel was a little bit tight still, AND the vibration was back. They said that new ones off the lot had it worse than my car, so I said give me some keys, and I took an 06 with twice the KM as my car, and a brand new one out. Both of them had a lot of road feel in the wheel, that's fine, and that is what they say I'm getting. but the steeringwheel stayed still in those cars.. mine shakes back and forth, liek someone is grabbing on to it and moving it back and forth really fast. I got back, and told them they were BSing me, becuase neither of those cars do what my car was doing. they said they can't do anything else.. so I said forget it, where's the sales guy. Since GM says there is nothing wrong with it, that's great, so I can trade it in. I ended up getting an 06 pursuit, with some extra warranty and some other add on's.. Some other poor soul will get these problems. Makes me very mad, been in a 'GM only' family all my life, but I don't think my next car will be a GM. guess I gotta go somewhere else for any repairs becuase obviously these guys can't fix things. I think I will be better off with this. More trunk space for a possible upcomming family to drive around. I get the pursuit on tuesday, but I'm going to miss my hatchback. I loved the look of the car, but I guess I got a lemon. if anyone is guying a silver hatchback with 17" rims, hope it isn't my car, and make sure you highway test it before signing anything. ohh, and always check up on the service history before buying a car. That would show you everything, if you are buying at a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts

no i have not heard of a new larger bracket but the 2 smaller ones work just fine and the fogs will not shake. i do not remember seeing any place to mount 1 large one and would think that the 2 will be better

161 - 180 of 204 Posts