Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my father-in-law's my mechanic and he just finished replacing the head gaskets on my '98 2.5L Outback. Before the head gasket blew, there was a very slight ticking sound. Now, the sound is much more severe. I found a video on Youtube and he stated that it's a piston slap and there's nothing to worry about.

I'd love to get this resolved or, at the least, quieted down. It's more severe on a cold start and does mellow down a bit once warm but is still noticeable above 2000 RPMs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here's a video of my car on a cold start ...

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
"Ticking" vs "Knocking" is in the ear of the listener. The Youtube noise was pretty bad, but I believe that is piston slap. If yours is more of a tick, I would check each exhaust flange to make sure it is not an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks at the header flange can sound very much like mechanical noise. Good luck.

·
Registered
'98 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Does anyone else have any experience with that?

I can also take a video of the sound once it's warm. Like I said, it's less pronounced but still noticeable. Just want to find out if it's serious.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
its a 98 runs and doesn't sound too bad - drive it and enjoy the cheap AWD transportation and save your money.

My 2001 had a different tick after Subaru replaced a HG driver side at 64K at 180,000K it was fine and didn't have the odd tick anymore. That car was never over heated and the HG was done when the leak was very very small needing a top off about every two weeks to bring the over flow bottle back up to standard fill level vs nearly empty.

Over heated engine that gets HG job due to the overheat could have all kinds of new sounds from all sorts of parts due to the over heat not the hg job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts