Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
I think that qualifies as letting "er loose." :p

WOW! I hope you weren't looking through the camera when you took that picture... >>>100 :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily, the south features faster speed limits, roads without turns for 40 or 50 miles, and no snow! Guess I don't use my handy AWD too much...

And no I didn't take the picture..... :)

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
sduford said:

Gosh I sure hope so!

It's easy to do 100 in this car when you pass though. You have to be careful not to!!!
That's so true. The other day I was passing on a straight stretch of Rt. 22, and when I look down at the speedometer, I noticed I was doing 92 (thought I was doing maybe 75) Yikes!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Mudge said:

That's so true. The other day I was passing on a straight stretch of Rt. 22, and when I look down at the speedometer, I noticed I was doing 92 (though I was doing maybe 75) Yikes!
yeah, and when passing a string of 3 or 4 cars at once, you actually have to lift the throttle otherwise you will easily go well over 100.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5-speed, everything's stock except the shift knob! I was thinking the RPMs were high for that speed - I'm used to the longer gears of my old mustang gt. This engine sure kicks some butt up in the high RPMs though. It's a very exciting ride that I highly recommend.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Yes I agree that Subarus are geared very low. In fact, despite the fact that this is by far the most powerful car I've ever owned, it is also the car with the highest RPM at cruise speed.

My 178 Hp Volvo 850 did 45 Kph per 1000 RPM. My 250 Hp OBXT does 39 Kph per 1000 RPM...

However, the end result is a very driveable 5th gear that doesn't require downshifting for most passing situations. I do wish I had a taller 6th gear for cruising.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
nolescorp said:
5-speed, everything's stock except the shift knob! I was thinking the RPMs were high for that speed - I'm used to the longer gears of my old mustang gt. This engine sure kicks some butt up in the high RPMs though. It's a very exciting ride that I highly recommend.
Good pic!! I doubt the Mustang GT had a 6500 RPM redline though, I'd also be suprised if Sly's old Volvo 850 had the redline that high too. Of course, the 3.0R can do 7000 ;) Gearing is taller in the 5AT, 2000 RPM is about 110km/h

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Yahoooo - Enjoy!:D

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Jondalar said:

Good pic!! I doubt the Mustang GT had a 6500 RPM redline though, I'd also be suprised if Sly's old Volvo 850 had the redline that high too. Of course, the 3.0R can do 7000 ;) Gearing is taller in the 5AT, 2000 RPM is about 110km/h
Actually it did, if I recall correctly it was set at exactly 6500, which is actually pretty average nowadays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing