Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
9,676 Posts
Why do the wheels look slanted?
Because they are. Unequal length lateral arms will do this when lowered - they cannot maintain a parallelogram.

But it can help lateral resistance in turns, at the expense of tire wear.

Maybe it's me, but if I wanted a lowered Outback, I would have bought a Legacy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unequal length lateral arms will do this when lowered - they cannot maintain a parallelogram.

But it can help lateral resistance in turns, at the expense of tire wear.

Maybe it's me, but if I wanted a lowered Outback, I would have bought a Legacy.
I wish they carried the Levorg in North America so things like this didn't happen.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Touring
138 Posts
Defiantly some tint and if you're not going for the slant wheel look maybe some camber adjustments I think but don't quote me on it. but I think you can get some parts to help correct it on the rears but I may be thinking of a different gen.

Also super important note. If you want to lower your outback then lower it. your car should be what you want. Don't listen to the guys/gals who say you should keep it stock height or raise it. that's for them you lower it till it drags

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
16,601 Posts
I normally cheerlead anyone trying to modify a car however they want, but the lowering job doesn't look like it was done properly and I had to bite my tongue not to say put it back up - not because he lowered it, but because it wasn't done right. He's a new member and proudly showing his work and his ride. Not sure if the excessive camber is the desired stance or not but @BS9_3.6R 's feedback on how to fix his camber issues are on point to make this car more functional as a daily driver. He started two other threads about camber before he did the lowering and people tried to help but he never got back to them.

The comments are probably meant more as poking fun rather than serious criticism so @sek don't get discouraged by the comments - there are other magnificently lowered outbacks out there that are just fantastically done. My dream Outback is a Legacy GT - or was. Now I want the ground clearance, but if I could have a guilty pleasure vehicle it would be @oldskoolbiker 's lowered Outback - he put on the aluminum Legacy GT JDM control arms and everything.

There's a lot of experienced people here and I'm sure they'd have been happy to advise you before you started wrenching on it but at this point I don't know your intentions - the community here is very supportive and helpful - all you have to do is ask - and if someone responds to one of your threads, you should follow up - ask questions, or at least acknowledge their help, not just leave them hanging.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Front camber does not change much during suspension travel on this type of strut front with only a lower control arm, so the camber adjustment should be simply adjusting the cam bolt attaching strut to knuckle.
The rear, as mentioned previously, has a long lower arm and a short upper arm, so camber changes a lot with suspension travel. I know of 2 ways to adjust it to compensate for lower stance. 1, buy one of the adjustable length, aftermarket lower arm kits. 2, buy a urethane bushing that has an offset center hole for LCA inner bushing (I did this with a Whiteline bushing and a press). Also, on a 4th gen lowering thread, some guys were swapping to Legacy struts and Legacy upper rear control arms which helped camber. I dont know if those arms are longer or how they helped though. My air struts have 4inches of travel so I set my alignment at where I normally have it (1 1/2 inches up from bottomed out), and rear camber is at 1.5 degrees to promote planted cornering. Outbacks can handle pretty well if set up correctly. I was surprised!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.