Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a 2016 limited with eyesight after visiting the fourth dealership as no store had all of the 2015 models in stock.

The "I have to talk to my manager" script was used each time and like clockwork the manager appeared with a hardball attitude

The Subaru sales routine was stale, predictable and ineffective.
I ordered the car at the last dealership for a decent price.

The last car I purchased was a high performance toy. The salesman didn't treat me like an adversary and didn't play the "how much do you want to spend" game. They were knowledgable and informative. When we negotiated a price the salesman didn't act as if he had never done it before

I didn't feel disgusted after I left the Porsche dealer.
I nauseated after leaving the Subaru store

They have a good product. Do you think they could spring for some training so their salesmen weren't stuck in 1975.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i, purchased new Oct 2014
302 Posts
Have you tried a broker? My son did with the same trim level as mine and paid only $50 more than I did, and I think I got a good price at the dealer, but he didn't have to sit thru 2 hours of haggling and jiggery pokery.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,007 Posts
Keep in mind that the dealers are just franchises and only in the service department are they really in any way somewhat directly connected to Subaru. Subaru doesn't tell them how to manage the sales with any kind of "script", what you experienced is simply a sales tactic to get you to pay a higher price, a tactic that can be found at many dealers of other brands.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i say stay out of the dealership and use email.

yes, email.

find what you want thru research and test drives.

Then use Consumer Reports or whatever else to find out invoice and dealer price, and what others have payed.

All dealership websites have a "Get E-Price" button (or something like that) next to the car in their website inventory page.

They'll email you back with a quote.

Collect those quotes, and the numbers from what people payed on Consumer Reports, and email each dealership back.

"so and so has the lowest offer of X. can you beat X?"

If they say yes and provide a new quote, email back the previous dealership....."so and so dealership will beat your quote, care to provide a new quote?"

Once you get the lowest of low, tell them you're coming in, (bring a print out of the email) and sign paperwork and you're done.

Honestly the back and forth thru emails and website research is much less of a pain then the time sitting around dealing with salesmen all day.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with ES and other goodies
153 Posts
I agree with illdthedj. Email is the best way. Get as many quotes via email as you can, and then have the dealers fight it out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Negotiate via email before stepping into a dealership. Even then, out of 3 dealerships in my area that I visited, one of them were absolute slimeballs (long story, avoid Mid City Subaru in Chicago at all cost) and the other 2 were very decent and gave me great deals (no more than invoice).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
660 Posts
even by email it's hard to avoid... dealers who ignore your "please contact by email" requests and call instead (I guess so they never have to put anything in writing).... and they just keep asking you to come in... do you have the car I want? no.. can you get it? not anytime soon... then why would I want to waste my time to drive in? (they obviously they think they can sell you something you weren't looking for)

I found 2 dealers out of the 8 I emailed who were really great to work with.. the other 6 were horrible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it's all non-luxury brands that have this problem. I've shopped Mitsubishi, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler and Honda. They all had a really s----y experience.
Shopping at Acura, Lexus and Audi was a premium experience.
I suspect luxury brands have margin built into "invoice" price, so dealers get paid even when they sell @invoice

·
Registered
2016 3.6R OB w/23, Wilderness Green, due in September
112 Posts
Negotiate via email before stepping into a dealership. Even then, out of 3 dealerships in my area that I visited, one of them were absolute slimeballs (long story, avoid Mid City Subaru in Chicago at all cost) and the other 2 were very decent and gave me great deals (no more than invoice).
Mid City tried to tell me they couldn't order 2016s, on June 15th. I live four blocks away. I bought from Grand. I will say, I had a good experience with every other Subaru dealer I talked to in the Chicago area. No hard sells.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium ICE Silver
156 Posts
the car buying experience is broken. I don't effing negotiate the price of my hamburger at dinner or the price of a gallon gas when I fill up.

I don't see why Subaru can't figure out what their car is worth and then add in a nice percentage for the dealer and just have actual price tags that mean something.

The whole process just leaves everyone feeling like they got raped. I just ordered one at what I know is the best price I have ever negotiated on a new car...... and reading about other people paying hundreds (or even a thousand!) less..... and then knowing that people are going in and paying sticker (!) because 15s are in shirt supply....... it all just makes me feel sick..

The tactics don't bother me so much anymore.....I've seen it all before. I don;t think the people are slimeballs. I think the SYSTEM makes them LOOK like slimeballs. I look forward to never buying a new car again.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited Eyesight White
543 Posts
Same as noted above, use email.

Also it helps that my Subaru dealers didn't work off of commission from price of sale, they just work for salary but get bonuses for amount of car sales.
At no time did I get any pressure to buy anything 'extra' (rustproofing, extra insurance, etc.). They didn't even ask if I wanted them, they just let me know that they were available if I wanted them.

Also the dealership garage did a great job fixing my small side triangle window noise. They showed much interest when I first brought it to their attention, and then did a professional clean fix.

I highly recommend Hometown Subaru of Beckley WV.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
the car buying experience is broken. I don't effing negotiate the price of my hamburger at dinner or the price of a gallon gas when I fill up.

I don't see why Subaru can't figure out what their car is worth and then add in a nice percentage for the dealer and just have actual price tags that mean something.

The whole process just leaves everyone feeling like they got raped. I just ordered one at what I know is the best price I have ever negotiated on a new car...... and reading about other people paying hundreds (or even a thousand!) less..... and then knowing that people are going in and paying sticker (!) because 15s are in shirt supply....... it all just makes me feel sick..

The tactics don't bother me so much anymore.....I've seen it all before. I don;t think the people are slimeballs. I think the SYSTEM makes them LOOK like slimeballs. I look forward to never buying a new car again.

...you mean something like Saturn dealerships had for a couple of years (no pressure/fixed prices)?

It's not that simple and it goes by territory. One cannot generalize - not just with Subaru but with any car brand...if you don't want to be part of the "negotiation" you can buy a car through a car broker and/or through Costco car buying program! And there are some people out there, who actually love to negotiate with car salesmen and they are quite successful.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My dealing wasn't too bad, considering. My last two cars were Saturns (like jogosub mentioned), so I hadn't dealt with the typical tactics for some time, so I prepared myself for it.

I geared myself up to make no friends, trust no one, stand my ground and know what I would pay. I think it helped that I kept both Saturns (high mileage, worth more to me than what I could get) and made it known I was not desperate for a car.

I know I made the best deal possible, because a few other dealers let me walk when I offered more than what I ended up paying. The only dealer that gave me a lower price had a 4 month wait.

So I was honest about that with the dealer I bought from, added $150 to that low priceand they agreed. The final price was $800 less than their supposed lowest price.

Andy

·
Registered
307 Posts
...you mean something like Saturn dealerships had for a couple of years (no pressure/fixed prices)?
While simple, because of the 'no haggle' policy, my first purchase from Saturn was not all beer and skittles. :grin2: I was even paying cash, but the finance girl put me through **** trying to sell me all the extras that I did not want.

At one point, the sales guy came in and whispered to me, "What part of no does she not understand.?"

It's interesting...I had no such issues at all with the Subaru financing department. That part was smooth as silk. I was asked one time only if I wanted to purchase extras. BTW, it was late and the guy wanted to go home, so that probably helped.

Andy

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium ICE Silver
156 Posts
if you don't want to be part of the "negotiation" you can buy a car through a car broker.
If I don't want to be part of the negotiation, I can use a broker.....sure. But why can't I just have a FUCKING price. Same price...every store (with local variations) like a freaking BIG MAC.

They know what they pay, I understand that that profit needs to be made. Either it's better than the price for the Mazda MX-5 (or whatever) or it's not..... but comparing a car (the Outback....price range $23,xxx - $38,xxx) vs myriad other cars SUCKS and I won't effing do it again.

When I go into the grocery store I can look at all the different brand of coffee and the different sizes of bags and cans. I can read the descriptions of the "robustness" and "flavor profiles" and decide what I am going to pay more money for.

No haggling....and I don't buy the cheapest.... and I don't buy "the best". I do some research and make an informed choice.

So from now on, my "informed choice" is..... I effing hate buying a new car and the games that entails. I'll wait for some schlub to buy a new Outback (probably at MSRP or slightly more.....poor informed sucker) and then offer to buy it from him in 4 years (provided he's taken care of it and stayed under my own stringent mileage constraints). Oh yeah, I'll also knock off a few hundred for the door dings and another few hundred for the worn tires.

I won't have the glow of buying a new car, but the 10K I save will go a long ways to minor repairs.

I'm feeling low tonight.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited w/Eyesight
354 Posts
All dealership websites have a "Get E-Price" button (or something like that) next to the car in their website inventory page.

They'll email you back with a quote.

Collect those quotes, and the numbers from what people payed on Consumer Reports, and email each dealership back.

"so and so has the lowest offer of X. can you beat X?"

If they say yes and provide a new quote, email back the previous dealership....."so and so dealership will beat your quote, care to provide a new quote?"

Once you get the lowest of low, tell them you're coming in, (bring a print out of the email) and sign paperwork and you're done.
Very close to what I did and my experience was excellent. I sat at my desk, not theirs, and just sent a few emails. While I had to order a car and wait nearly eight weeks, I ended up with what I wanted at a fair price. My time in the dealership was brief and pleasant.

Had the local Honda dealerships been as forthcoming in giving me a fair price via email, I would have bought a CR-V. In retrospect, I'm glad they failed to provide a satisfactory experience and I ended up with what I consider a better vehicle. I'm sure in some towns, the Honda dealers are better than the Subaru dealers. Just not the ones near where I live.

·
Registered
2013 Sierra 4x4, 2015 WRX, 2016 Outback, Callaway Corvette
113 Posts
There's no reason to walk into more than one dealership before buying. Email works for any dealer serious about selling. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
Outback 2009 2.5i Ltd 4EAT NAV
251 Posts
For those negotiating with e-mail, what is best for the trade-in negotiaton?

1 - 20 of 174 Posts