Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my tire guys (whom I've used for years and trust) and gave them my short list and asked what they thought.

At the top of my list was the Hankook H727s. He said they are a good tire but they are hard and maybe not as good in the snow as a softer tire. Also on my list was the Michelin hydroedge. He said that was discontinued but it was replaced by the Defender which he thinks is a great high end tire (which sounds like what I wanted based on my description of my driving).

He put me on hold to help a customer and I had a chance to check the tire rack reviews and although new, this tire is getting great reviews.

Anybody else have them?

Par for the course with Michelin....they are pricey! But I'm excited - I hope it snows a TON in New England this year!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops just saw the post below - it didn't show up before when I did a search for Michelin Defenders. :D

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Fairly new tire. I look forward to your review as you rack up the miles. Rated to around 90k I think.

I love the Primacy MXV4 I have, but they weren't exactly cheap. however, they are rated to 60k and I'm guessing I'll get in that range from them, they're wearing good.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Consumer Reports latest report states: The Michelin Defender leads ALL 20 T speed-rated all-season tires.
I would say you made a good choice.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I called my tire guys (whom I've used for years and trust) and gave them my short list and asked what they thought.

At the top of my list was the Hankook H727s. He said they are a good tire but they are hard and maybe not as good in the snow as a softer tire. Also on my list was the Michelin hydroedge. He said that was discontinued but it was replaced by the Defender which he thinks is a great high end tire (which sounds like what I wanted based on my description of my driving).

He put me on hold to help a customer and I had a chance to check the tire rack reviews and although new, this tire is getting great reviews.

Anybody else have them?

Par for the course with Michelin....they are pricey! But I'm excited - I hope it snows a TON in New England this year!
Different vehicle but we replaced the excellent Hydroedge with Defenders. So far so good. Quiet, great in rain, soft on pavement cracks, maybe softer cornering. They have sipes all the way to the casing and it has been my experience or at least opinion that such construction makes for superior tires - especially as they wear down.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Another one in the Michelin Defender family. My first set of Michelins, as well.

I bought my set @ Discount Tire yesterday and was given two rebates to send in totaling a $100 ($70 from Michelin and $30 from Discount Tire Care One Card). Pretty good deal, I think.

What do I think of them so far? Smooth and quiet, with very good ride comfort. Other than that, it is too early to tell.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Defenders on SNOW and ICE???

Another one in the Michelin Defender family. My first set of Michelins, as well.

I bought my set @ Discount Tire yesterday and was given two rebates to send in totaling a $100 ($70 from Michelin and $30 from Discount Tire Care One Card). Pretty good deal, I think.

What do I think of them so far? Smooth and quiet, with very good ride comfort. Other than that, it is too early to tell.

Anybody else have them?

My balding Contis are currently sucking major @$$ at 38k during a big dump in UT.

I am interested in both the Hankook H727 and the Michi Defender (costco model) but curious about your regular Defender performance on the white snow and black ice.

How are they handling in ice/slush/snow assuming you aren't going through an "unseasonably" warm winter in your neck of the woods?

Any data points will be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AltaBrig - hope it's not too late - read my thread titled "Defenders - the worst Michelins I've ever owned" In a word, they suck. Of course, other's experience may differ.

But I doubt it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
AltaBrig - hope it's not too late - read my thread titled "Defenders - the worst Michelins I've ever owned" In a word, they suck. Of course, other's experience may differ.

But I doubt it.

Thinking about buying a set this weekend. Insert, they are getting reasonable reviews compared to other A/S, but now I must read your thrashing of them and further confound my decision. Any other beta out their that is current for OB drivers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since my initial post, I've had Michellin X-Ices put on the car. My fuel mileage has gone UP by about 3 - 4 mpg. Snow tires are getting me better mileage than the Defenders. Running the snow tires at 35 psi. TP checked once a week.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am considering them also(defenders) from all the good reviews so far,but concern is the they might be to soft for a OB and mixed in with some mountain roads eventually also not big on the T rating, would rather have a H rated as they state they come in but still not seeing that rating anywhere in all sizes. My Toyos are still fairly new but looking for a better traction,wet/snow/dry that can handle what a OB is designed for.

When any out there get the Defenders ,post your impressions about them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sent an e mail to michelin inquiring about the defender and defender xt. here is their reply.

The Michelin Defender and the Defender XT tires are very similar in performance and longevity. Both tires provide a quiet comfortable ride. T and H speed rated tires are covered by a 90,000 mile treadwear warranty and the V speed rated tires are covered by an 80,000 treadwear warranty. The Defender and the Defender XT are mixable on the same axle.

Even though the tires are very similar, they are not exactly the same. There are some differences in tread design and tire specifications. The Defender has an asymmetrical tread design and the Defender XT has a symmetrical tread design. The Defender is sold by national retailers and the Defender XT can be purchased at Wholesale Clubs such as Costco, BJ’s and Sam’s. Warranty administration for the Defender XT is handled by the selling Club.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

John
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

·
Registered
766 Posts
sent an e mail to michelin inquiring about the defender and defender xt. here is their reply.

The Michelin Defender and the Defender XT tires are very similar in performance and longevity. Both tires provide a quiet comfortable ride. T and H speed rated tires are covered by a 90,000 mile treadwear warranty and the V speed rated tires are covered by an 80,000 treadwear warranty. The Defender and the Defender XT are mixable on the same axle.

Even though the tires are very similar, they are not exactly the same. There are some differences in tread design and tire specifications. The Defender has an asymmetrical tread design and the Defender XT has a symmetrical tread design. The Defender is sold by national retailers and the Defender XT can be purchased at Wholesale Clubs such as Costco, BJ’s and Sam’s. Warranty administration for the Defender XT is handled by the selling Club.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

John
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drive a 2009 Ford Escape V6 AWD as my company car (not by choice), I had them put Defenders on it, have about 10K miles on them, so far I have noticed they ride soft, do well in 6 inches of snow, fairly quiet and get decent MPG

·
Registered
766 Posts
Slapped the Defender XTs on. Have them at 36PSI Front and 35PSI Rears. They seem fine so far, but after a run to Utah I will know better.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season... Has anyone had any experience with these or know any that has. These look overall like a good tire and would possibly be good for off road to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a set of Michelins myself, not the defenders, but instead i got the Pilot Exalto a/s on my 01 OBS. Good handling, quiet, and good on wet surfaces. Haven't driven in snow yet, but all the reviews on Tirerack from Subaru owners said they perform well. Very Pleased with this tire.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just had a set of 4 Michelin Defenders installed at Discount Tire. My Michelin Hydroedge tires, that DT installed about 77k miles & 4.5 years ago, had some tread life left, but the side-walls were dry-rotted to the point they needed to be replaced. DT called Michelin and told them my case, and between Michelin & DT, they gave me a large discount towards a new set of tires, provided they are Michelin, of course, which I wanted anyways b/c the Hydroedge were AWESOME tires. I wish the Hydroedge were still available b/c they were that good, but the Defenders are their high-mileage replacement, I was informed.

I had them installed, then went straight to the Subie dealership, where they replaced a bushing on each control arm and then did an alignment. The separated bushings did not currently effect driving, but they would soon, so I went ahead and had them done.

After a few days, the Defenders ride great. There is a little road noise, depending on speed and road surface type, but so far so good. The Hydroedge whined a little bit when new, as well. Gas mileage seems to be about the same, which is a good thing b/c mileage seemed above average with the Hydroedge.

The car does drive a little bit differently, and actually seems to shift a little bit differently as well, as confirmed by my gf as well when she drove it. They are prob a little bit more heavy, as they have 100% of the tread, as compared to about 15% on my Hydroedge. The trans ECU learns driving habits, so it will learn and adapt to these tires. Or, I can see if my Subie dealership will reset that data for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
22 Participants
COFLHTK
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing