Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 08 outback for the wife to drive back an forth to work. Park the SUV to save money. I noticed that the drivers side axle has been replaced. I also notice at 70 + and there is a slight vibration.
Today I need to replace headlight bulb, get that done so I decided to look at some oil or greese residue that is all around the area where the drivers side axle would spin and sling grease. I determined that it does appear to be grease. I will clean that all up this weekend.
so I had it jacked up and and running to see if I saw anything. All of sudden I see a drip on the drivers side. yep coolant is dripping from looks to be around the lower part of the head. At this time I can't tell if I have an oil leak. Pretty messy a up and round that area. I will try and get a picture if I can.

I guess now what can I do? Can I try and put something in the Coolant to try and stop the leak?
I have read some post, but just got on the forum the other day.

If the head gasket, needs replaced do you have to pull the motor or can it be done in the car?

Thanks for the help in advance..

sam

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Get the Subaru coolant conditioner do not use any sort of stop leak product!

If they did the axle recently the grease could be whats left from a blown CV boot. Vibration at 70+ is going to be tires not the axle. A cheap non stock Axle will chatter when sitting still with the car in gear running - and will be noisy when your moving. Your description doesn't sound like either.

The coolant dripping off the back driver side corner of the block is a concern keep a close eye on your coolant level and once you get it cleaned up a little see if you can sort out where the coolant is coming from.

For sure Do NOT put stop leak product in your cooling system. Subaru has a conditioner that helps address weeping seals in the cooling I would get that and go from there. As long as you keep the coolant level up you don't have much to worry about. Sorting out where the leak is will be important for the long run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
subiesailor Thank you for such a quick reply. The axle was done at a subaru dealer close to where I live so I can stop by and ask. But I would guess they would have used better parts :).

Vibration, I am going to get all the tires rebalanced this weekend.

I took some pic but they are pretty dark. I will need to retake them and post sometime.

Other than that would else should I be doing. So far the whopping two days that we have owned it rides nice. Just wished I didn't find these possible $$$$ fix.

By the way if the engine does need to be removed and head gasket fixed what does that run?? ball park.

Thanks again

Sam

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
On my 07 it's really difficult to see the lower driver side junction between the block and the head, let alone take a photo.

I regularly try to check for seepage, but have to use a long inspection mirror and a narrow beam flash light pointed just right in order to see any part of the lower back area. The bottom central part of the HG is pretty well obscured by the engine mount. So I'd be interested to see what sort of photo you're able to get, and how you do it.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Headgasket runs $1,200 - $2,000

Start with two bottles of conditioner for coolant leaks, it does no good for oil leaks though.

It can be done in the car:
Easy job if you remove the two lower engine mount nuts (14mm) and the top pitch mount - then jack the engine up in the engine bay. Much easier access to the head bolts when removing.

If you don't do that it's a really annoying job, seemingly impossible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got a quote for a head gasket repair $2300. I live in Iowa around the Des Moines area. Other than the Subaru dealer I am not having much luck with anyone with experience working on Subaru's. I was going to get a quote from them just to see what it is. I have been reading a lot about this and I have read that taking to a dealer is not the best choice.
I see Grossgary said anywhere from $1200-2000

By chance anyone from Iowa have any thoughts on where I could get a quote?

I do like driving it, just stress me out knowing it has a leak can could cause more damage.

Also do you think this is a job that I could do? I am pretty mechanically incline. I do most of all work on all my cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
subiesailor Thank you for such a quick reply. The axle was done at a subaru dealer close to where I live so I can stop by and ask. But I would guess they would have used better parts :).

Vibration, I am going to get all the tires rebalanced this weekend.

I took some pic but they are pretty dark. I will need to retake them and post sometime.

Other than that would else should I be doing. So far the whopping two days that we have owned it rides nice. Just wished I didn't find these possible $$$$ fix.

By the way if the engine does need to be removed and head gasket fixed what does that run?? ball park.

Thanks again

Sam
08 if you do have a HG issue I would be all over Subaru directly to fix it at no cost to you. That new of a car you shouldn't have a HG problem. A nice dealer feeling sorry for you and still making profit will charge you $1500 ish- engine stays in the car these are exceptionally easy engines to work on. A dealer with skilled tech will take the car in at noon and return it to you the next day fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
08 if you do have a HG issue I would be all over Subaru directly to fix it at no cost to you. That new of a car you shouldn't have a HG problem. A nice dealer feeling sorry for you and still making profit will charge you $1500 ish- engine stays in the car these are exceptionally easy engines to work on. A dealer with skilled tech will take the car in at noon and return it to you the next day fixed.
It is an 08 but does have 139k for miles. It was a corp car.
So I not sure what the dealer will or would do for me. I also didn't buy it from the dealer in town.

If I had engine host I think I would tackle the engine removal my self. I would have most likely have someone else do the head removal and installing the gasket and head bolts and what ever else is needed.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts