Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2005 Subaru Outback Sport SE. Steel Gray/Crystal Gray, 5 speed, Special Edition package. Great car for the money if you ask me. Got it for $18,095. Tax and title/etc made it $19,250 out the door. Dealer gave me $3500 for my Focus ZX3 trade, which is right about KBB and Edmunds price.

It's a small car and definitely not a luxury mobile, but I like it alot. Drives great. Has decent power(165 hp/166 tq) from the 2.5 ltr boxer 4. It's taking a while to get used to the lightness of the clutch.

I had considered the Mazda 3 5-door, but the overall deciding factor for me was AWD. The Mazda didn't have it. Although, I think the Mazda is a little sportier, but that's not why I'm buying it. With the baby coming in May, the 4 doors and added safety of the Subaru will be a big benefit over the Focus.

I couldn't find hardly any pics of the Steel Gray on OBS SE while researching the net making my decision, so hopefully the attached will help someone trying to see what it looks like. This was my second choice, but I'm glad it's what I got, as I like it better than my first choice(Platinum Silver).

Here's a few pics...

Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Posted on this board and nasioc.com. I'm not sure what all the Suburu forums are and which ones are trafficed alot.
I normally hangout on Roadfly.org for my other car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi MJS - I bought the exact same car about 2 months ago - great color combo, huh? Up to now mine was the only one I'd seen in the 2 tone gray. Some say it's a rare color, not easy to find at dealers. These OBS SE's offer a lot of bang for the buck, don't they?

Best of luck with it!!!

Patrick

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats to you as well! Great car. Love the color. And the value.

I got to drive it in some major snow for the first time today. Did great!. The tires definitely aren't snow tires, but they did ok. Very easy to hang the rear end out around corners. Next year I'll pick up some winter tires and really tear it up.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Wow what a handsome car. That is a very nice color combo. And then the spoiler to boot. Seven spokers too... Pics in it's native environment also (snow)

Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, it's a great looking car. I noticed the 7-spokes right away, but not the color difference from my 2004 Platinum Silver/Metallic Gray until I read what was being said.

Which is the Steel and which the Crystal? Body color is Steel, I'm guessing. That bright, almost aluminum foil, color for the bumpers and such is really nice stuff. Makes my OBS seem drab now (can be seen at the gallery). :(

Be careful out there in the snow with it. We won't see snow here for a while yet, probably-- if at all.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct, the top(body) is the Steel Gray, and the lower parts are Crystal Gray.

I wish it could stay that clean. Right now there's an impermiable layer of ice and snow covering it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The thing I really like about this color combo is it's nice and subtle - and the "Outback Sport" decals blend in nice with the car, too.

I used some Eagle One wet polish & wax, and it really brings the color(s) out nice.

OK, I'm biased, but I must say the OBS SE is a REALLY good deal - there is very little on the market that's AWD with this kind of content for the price.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I like the Dark Grey-Light Grey of the OB Sport much better than the Light Grey-Dark Grey reverse on the Legacy OB. Looks much better!

Sweet looking ride!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
The thing I really like about this color combo is it's nice and subtle - and the "Outback Sport" decals blend in nice with the car, too.
Yeah, you can hardly tell on my OBS that the decals are there....Wait, I peeled them off a couple years ago! Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's pretty funny. I've actually made up my mind that that is the exact same color and model I will get sometime in 2005 or earlier depending on when my old MB 190E dies.

I also have a 2003 Performance Package BMW 330i and I had trouble with the light clutch during the test drive of the OBS.

Congrats!

Seems like the perfect car for me and my wife to make our routine trips to Montreal (from Boston) and for me to use as a winter commuter car.

We plan on getting an LL Bean Outback in a couple of years as kids arrive. I hope to keep the OBS as a third car and not have to trade it in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly. Just had the insurance on the M3 cut back(suspended) to just comprehensive. Much cheaper that way. Plus, it will really seem like a beast come spring, not driving it for a few months!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
roo said:
...Makes my OBS seem drab now (can be seen at the gallery). :(
roo-
I searched the gallery and couldn't find any of your photos...

·
Administrator
4,268 Posts
I saw your car pics over at NABISCO and thought that that is by far one of the best color combo's on any vehicle I've ever seen! :29: It is certainly worth paying $500 extra to get the SE version of the OBS just to get that color alone.

I'm glad you came over here, away from the Dark Side over at NABISCO (NASIOC). If you haven't seen already, all the non-WRX driving folks get treated like unwanted stepchildren. That was part of this reason this site was started, not necessarily because of NASIOC, but more that there was no good place for all the OTHER Subarus.

Anyway just about every member here will tell you the same story. I hope you like and enjoy this unsung Subaru sanctuary, we're always glad to have another new member aboard :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
mbr129
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing