Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, happy to join the fam even if it is in very modest fashion. I just picked up a '99 Outback with 265k miles. Over the next couple weeks I'm going to be knocking out a lot of preventative maintenance and I'd like to get your input on what to cover. I actually know the previous owner pretty well (she's a sweet old lady) and all she did was regular oil changes and repairs for anything that failed for the past 170k miles. She's actually had the timing belt done twice and then lots of little things related to the suspension, exhaust, and brakes. It needed a battery and a power steering belt when I bought it but other than that everything works and it's running and driving incredibly well for its age. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's one of the most comfortable highway cruisers I've driven in many years.

For my purposes I'm mostly worried about fluids and filters. Obviously I want to do the oil and filter. It has an automatic transmission so I'm guessing I should do the trans fluid and filter as well. How about differential and transfer case fluids? I'm cool with changing everything possible if it will get this car to 300k. Other than those simple things and a fresh set of spark plugs can you think of anything else I should go ahead and do now? I've heard head gasket repeatedly but I'm leaning towards not cracking this motor open right now. It is currently purring like a kitten and if I do start to see signs of it failing I have a great mechanic that will knock it out for me. Anyway, appreciate the feedback!

Here's a couple pictures of the old girl for reference. A little rough around the edges but 100% rust free and never abused so I'm a happy camper. It's my third car so I won't be piling the miles on but I just want it ready to rock when a fishing opportunity or a trip to the hardware store comes my way.

My two weekend toys, '99 Outback and 2002 MX-5:

And staring down my other AWD vehicle, a 2017 Fusion Sport, tuned by Torrie at Unleashed Tuning, 405 hp and 468 ft-lbs of torque. I guess I'm a silver car collector now.

Trusty old EJ25

With how little I'll drive this car I might hit 300k sometime in 2026. I might have to take it on a few road trips just to get it there before gas cars become illegal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts