Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.

I put down money on a new Outback in 2015, which either never came in or was sold to someone else (depends on who you were speaking to). So after 3 months, I requested my money back, and after a lot of pushback and grief from the dealership, I got it back and thought, no more interest in Subarus for me! But perhaps the angels were looking after me, as the 2015 model had a lot of serious first-year niggles...

Anyway, fast forward to 2018. Although I have owned a LandRover Discovery & FJ Cruiser for many years, the last two years I owned a 2 wheel drive *car* and have really felt anchored to pavement, unable to adventure & explore. After some research into the new Ascent, I decided that rather than wait, spend more money & take a chance on a first-year vehicle and new model, I decided once again to take a chance on an Outback, which would give me my freedom to adventure back, get decent fuel economy & spend less money (based on an Outback Premium 2.5i w/eyesight). And I figured that by now all the bits & pieces should be pretty well sorted and screwed together.

I read in an Autoblog article that sales of Outbacks were unexpectedly down. Thinking some good deals might be available, I spoke to one dealer who denied it and quashed my idea. (I never met a car salesman who knew more about a vehicle that I had been interested in and researched). But 2 weeks later, I received an email from a dealership in a land far, far away that was indeed offering better than average pricing on Outbacks with 2.5i engines. Probably due to the increased supply building up. So I put a deposit down on a vehicle in transit. I picked up that Outback (now named Enterprise - of Star Trek fame, not the rental car agency ;) ).

The trip started on Tuesday with me arriving to the dealership Wednesday morning. Left the dealership at 3PM, arriving home at 7:30AM Friday morning. Our first real voyage together, piloting Enterprise 1800 miles to her new home, one very different from her birthplace, called Indiana. The adventure was looooooong, sometimes seeming never-ending with a navigator named Garmin, who plotted a course, half of which were secondary road systems. I think I passed by 5 prisons and thousands of acres of open/empty or nearly empty grasslands/prairie etc.

Now for my thoughts on the Outback: Pleasantly surprised! Even though I had taken it on at least 3 test drives since 2015, seen 25 or so video reviews and countless photographs - my outback seems larger, stockier & more substantial than any picture or video of the car! My visual perception of the Outback was way off! It always seemed smaller to me? (I hope it's not a brain tumor...). So I am even more pleased to note that *my* Outback seems larger then I remember, and a far more substantial, chunkier SUV type creature rather than, just a "wagon"... Aside from the visual happiness, I am both surprised and pleased with how it feels, when you strap it on! It feels robust, meaty, substantial and up to the task! The ride feel is like you are driving a more expensive vehicle! Stable, comfortable & quiet. And BIG inside too! All of this was really surprising to me. Really. Have I told you how nice it is to be surprised in a good way? :) Nice. And the big surprise had lots of little nice surprises too. A power seat with *thigh support*. I wasn't aware of this and Love it! ( I am 6'3" and nearly that wide! ;) ) And the big padded armrest! Love that too. Auto bright lights - Brilliant! Pun intended! As for the 2.5i - it's the compromise I would expect between power, fuel economy & cost. I will have to learn to drive a bit more cautiously. So after 1,800 long miles, I am left with the feeling that this is a lot of car for the money. I have driven nearly all of the compact SUV's. This Outback feels much more substantial. I look forward to future road trips, excursions, travels, and voyages that we will take together. All engines, full impulse. Engage!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Welcome aboard, although your surprise about the apparent size etc. makes it sound like you never even test drove one before buying. When I decided it was time to sell our '11 Outback, I was set on getting a "compact SUV" mainly because it would be nice to have a bit more room in our garage. I test drove just about all of them, some of which did not meet my requirements for had-to-have features. Others had the features, but felt plasticky-cheap inside (I'm looking at you, CR-V).

So in the end I just took delivery a couple of days ago on an '18 Outback. Unfortunately it has been in the garage all weekend because the weather is just godawful around here, but I expect to start putting miles on it starting tomorrow. I did drive to REI with it on Friday, so now all I have to do is visit Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to complete the Subaru trifecta! :-D

I hope you continue to like yours -- it's about time you got it!

·
Registered
Currently 2015 535i
1 Posts
I'm looking at "smaller SUVs" when I turn in my '15 535i in a few months. What other models did you consider? x3, Q5, Cx-5, etc? Congrats on your new car.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at "smaller SUVs" when I turn in my '15 535i in a few months. What other models did you consider? x3, Q5, Cx-5, etc? Congrats on your new car.
I have been looking for a while now. I was leaning towards a Land Rover Discovery Sport, as I saw some good deals available. But there seemed to be almost too many available and many low mileage certified cars. So I joined a Landrover Discovery Sport forum and found that there is a structural problem that has been known for several years, and the fix, which is farmed out, requires a lot of dissembling of the vehicle, and both the result of the repair and reassembly have been so unacceptable, that a lot of people have gotten rid of their cars at a loss, I presume.

So continuing my search, my priorities were 1) a functional all-wheel-drive system 2) Collision mitigation and other electronic safety features (blind spot warning, rear collision warning or braking etc). 3) Initial cost & fuel economy. I have always purchased my vehicles and most times kept them for a while.

Most cars under 40K have poorly functioning simplistic AWD systems. (Hyundai, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Acura) Acura/Honda have an AWD on it's less expensive cars and a much better SH-AWD on it's more expensive models. None of the above have really committed to building cars with AWD systems meant to be taken off the pavement. Subaru is pretty much all by itself here. The 2019 Rav4 just introduced and that will be out later this fall is much larger and has a new AWD system that works like Subaru. So it may take some business away from Subaru. I like the Mazda CX-5 a lot, but it doesn't have the AWD chops. I like the CRV as well, but again - no real AWD capability. There is a new 2019 Sante Fe coming out which is *really* handsome as well, with BMW-ish body and Mazda-ish front end, but it's meant for pavement.

I owned a Volvo XC-60 for less than a year. Unusable/problematic electronics. Horrible dealer support. Company support the same. The Audi, BMW & some VW's have better AWD systems, and the Audi & BMW are great cars: comfortable, reliable, have status attached, retain their value etc., but the cost of entry with AWD, options/trim levels you may want with electronic safety features (collision mitigation) are easily $15-$20 thousand more than a Subaru...And the cost to maintain them can be quite expensive - so they were out for my purposes.

Many more 2019's will be coming with electronic safety features standard.

In the end, it just depends what your priorities are. It's hard to do apples to apples comparisons. I feel the Subaru is a good value play. Not much in the way of flash, but a lot of substance. Good luck.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
it has been in the garage all weekend because the weather is just godawful around here,
Isn't it's ability to handle godawful weather why many folks buy an OB? >:)

Reactions: Brad99

·
Registered
971 Posts
I came from a Q5, and wasn't happy with it at all. Of course, it was a 2012, so not fully comparable with the latest version. The Q3 is lacking options compared to the Outback, as well as more expensive. The X3, same about the price. I gave the CX-5 serious consideration, and if they had the diesel available I probably would have gone with it. I would have bought a Tiguan if I could have found the trim level I wanted. But the Outback with the 3.6 ticked all my boxes, and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Isn't it's ability to handle godawful weather why many folks buy an OB? >:)
Definitely! It was more a case of not wanting to get the new car dirty on the first full day with it. I drove my wife's Mazda on a couple errands instead. :laugh: The Mazda has a set of full winter tires on it; normally I'd have swapped them back by now, but we're still looking at snow & ice this week!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
301 Posts
Congrats! Regarding driving a long distance to make a purchase, it really does pay to check out of your immediate area to get good pricing. We also drove some distance, although not nearly as far as you, to find our Outback as our local dealers were much higher and stubborn in their pricing. We ended up driving to the Bay Area to get an excellent price, a few hundred miles from our location, but well worth it.

Enjoy your new baby!

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl
85 Posts
Congrats and best of luck with your new Outback! Only been looking since July 2017 myself, don’t feel so bad about procrastinating now:smile2:
Sent you a pm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts