Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the sedan and would like to do some upgrades. i would like to install an exhaust.. does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
If it's like the previous gen., that muffler is very special (and very expensive) as it has a bypass designed to help with scavenging at low rpm, but high flow at high rpm.

the car would probably run fine with a traditional aftermarket muffler - but perhaps there'd be a decrease in mileage or performance?

Subaru NA engines breathe fairly well and intake or exhaust mods don't seem to offer much improvement, except maybe in louder sound.

·
Registered
17,023 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Expensive uh.. It has a dual exhaust. What if I were to just install some exhaust tips. Would they give me a louder sound increase? And if so any brand/model ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2005 3.R sedan also and fortunately it does not have the "bypass" style mufflers. In my searchings I have not found one company that makes a cat-back or axle-back exhaust system for our cars. They do make them for the Legacy GT's and Outback XT's though. But I haven't dug deep enough to see if the our car's mufflers match those of the Legacy and Outback. I've even entertained the thought of going with the Legacy style muffler (tips go straight out instead of curving down) and cutting out the notches in the rear valence just like the Legacy GT's have.

Perrin makes a nice exhaust for the LGT's (or used to anyway). Someone just put one on their 3.0 and it sounds goooood.

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
I have a 2005 3.R sedan also and fortunately it does not have the "bypass" style mufflers.
good info!

Should give you more freedom in muffler choices.

you might check boxer4racing.com - I bought my Strommung axle-back for my WRX from them. They have some go-fast bits for legacy/outback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soledad. i am not very educated within car parts. i would get the system put in for me. any way you can get the me exact link of the one put onto the 3.0r?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts